Double Top Darts.

Stance
I've been reviewing threads and instructional videos regarding stance incessantly over the last six months. Needless to say, there's a tremendous amount of inconsistency in advice. I get it, what works for some doesn't work for others, but I'm new and don't want to develop bad habits. One thing I'm currently lacking is a good mentor, so I need your help!

Here's my situation. I've tried very hard to study and follow certain techniques that seem common amongst the pros. Many pros stand perpendicular to the board. Common advice is to stand perpendicular to the board with your eye, the dart, and the treble 20 or bull in a perfect line (e.g., use the Sight Right). I don't know if my shoulder is messed up or what, but that is uncomfortable for me, and I find it difficult to keep my elbow in and arm perpendicular to the ground. I was terribly inconsistent. From there I messed around with a lot of different angles and positions on the oche. One night recently, I moved to the far right side of the line, and my game immediately improved significantly. I was shooting about a 55 average, I'm now shooting about 65. I've also found that I'm finding triples much easier, and those occasional great games are peaking higher than before. Most importantly, it is very comfortable and repeatable for me.

When I throw now I line up just inside the double 6, and my shoulders are at about a 70 degree angle to the board. Am I temporarily giving myself a boost, but severely capping my potential with this unconventional stance?
18-gram Target Carrera C11
L-Style In-between L-Shafts
L-Style Kite Champagne Flights
L-Style Lippoint Tips
Some people will just be so uncomfortable with certain stances its really not worth trying to force your body into them so don't!

Look at the players like Barney and Hankey, they both have very smooth throws but both stand quite a way to the right Hankey in particular. I think you are better off practising they way your standing now as it sounds like its right for you, in time you will get better.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-08-2014, 01:04 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Some people will just be so uncomfortable with certain stances its really not worth trying to force your body into them so don't!

Look at the players like Barney and Hankey, they both have very smooth throws but both stand quite a way to the right Hankey in particular. I think you are better off practising they way your standing now as it sounds like its right for you, in time you will get better.

Yeah, have a look at where Bunting stands. He is all the way to the right of the Oche when he lines up to throw.

I'm of the belief that you just have to find what is comfortable for you at the line since that is the first step in throwing darts. If that is not feeling right, how can other things go right from that point forward.
It also could be that by lining up to the right, you're giving your left eye a better look at things. Do you know which of your eyes is dominant?
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(12-08-2014, 05:43 PM)brenthahn Wrote: It also could be that by lining up to the right, you're giving your left eye a better look at things. Do you know which of your eyes is dominant?

I'm right handed and right eye dominant.
L-Style Lippoint Tips
Thanks for the responses. I'll watch some off the players you guys mentioned. Getagrip and Gumbo, your philosophy is where I'm coming from...why force it if it isn't comfortable or natural. The immediate, noticeable improvement sealed the deal. Appreciate the feedback.
L-Style Lippoint Tips

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stance problems Troll 0 250 01-15-2020, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Troll
  Stance issue kennytheger 6 476 11-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Last Post: kennytheger
  Stance and Tempo and Oche Position UncleJJ 3 386 09-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Last Post: UncleJJ
  Stance for 3 darts at wide doubles Sultan Pepper 10 1,065 08-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Last Post: wongerchi
  Stance problems Troll 9 3,285 01-30-2018, 04:27 AM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Is there a way how to know is your stance solid enough without using video Troll 4 15,518 06-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Troll
  Oche Stance Jamesr4300 15 1,871 01-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Jamesr4300
  Stance questions (2) Troll 6 1,098 12-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Serial 7hriller
  Stance questions Troll 5 922 12-22-2015, 12:27 AM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  Stance overhaul ks99dime 20 2,781 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Last Post: BigE