Darts Buddy

Target Flight Punch
I got my Target Flight Punch when they first came out, think it was from Dartscorner for £6.99. I was using the Target L flights a lot but when the prices went up I switched to using the flight punch on all my flights and just used standard steel spring clips.

There is nothing spectacular about the device itself, its just a simple tool that does its job very well.

Mine came boxed as shown:
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Its only a small device as can be seen in comparison to a standard size flight, so should very easily fit in a pocket or a decent sized darts case if you need to transport it with you.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Its a simple enough device in operation, the top handle pushes down on a metal plunger that cuts out the slots in the flights:

The flights sit in a slot in the bottom that is shaped like a "V" :

I thought I would try some very thick 100 micron flights, these are some custom flights I had made a while back. Before punching the slots:

Just place the flight in the slot and make sure its snug up against the "V" shape, then push down on the handle.

Results are newly slotted flights Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Here is a flight fitted without a slot compared to one with a slot:

The slotted flights fits more snuggly onto the stem.

I tried some standard steel spring clip stems, a Target L Flights plastic stem ring and a Blue Datadart Spring Clip:

They all work well enough, but I think the plastic stem ring from Target was the best fitting, if you look close at the above pic you can see that the flight with the Target Stem ring fits further onto the stem than the other two (the middle one).

Just like a paper punch the waste is collected in the base of the device which easily removes to allow disposal of the waste:

I think there is many brands of flight punch available now and most of them look the same design, so you have a good choice of price to pick from now.

I highly recommend this great little tool, I really like the idea of securing my flights with this method so I give it a 10/10 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Replies from old forum:

Hatrick:

I bought mine about 3 months ago and it was absolutely the best $12 i have spent on dart supplies so far!! It really is a great little tool I 100% agree..

CanadianBacon:

good review darren! got the same punch and haven't had a single issue with it. 10/10 here too.

Rebel:

Another 10/10, both for the review and the punch, I also have one and it really is the dogs conkers

getagrip:

Thanks guys!

My punch has started to stick a little, and I know why.

The top cover has become a little loose, so when pressing down its not getting the right angle to push the plunger/blade down.

Easily solved by manipulating the handle a little though.

dannyd180:

Nice review again Darren. Seems you are a natural at product reviews. When are you going to start doing video reviews like the ones that Neil does?? Just don't worry about testing the darts at the end though as watching a couple of minutes of 26s and 45s might put people off (just kidding). Might be an idea though, as who knows if you get good, you might get sent more darts for your collection!!

getagrip:

LOL yeah watching me miss the board at the end wont be very good for selling darts

Was thinking about doing a video review but doubt if any one would understand me and my terrible voice

vascorocks:

I have one of those and unfortunately it lost some quality after 2 or 3 months...
It still does the job but I have to punch several times both sides of the flights.
Nothing major really as I still can use it but it takes me a bit longer now to punch flights.
I've had a worst experience with my Unitool which is now useless to take points off the darts... just use it to fit the new points.

chrisbamb:

I've had the Harrows one now for approx. 8 Months and it's still the same as when I got it, no breakdowns at all.

Saber:

Nice review Grip, I have one and though I use cosmos now the missus uses. The sticking can be solved by a little wd-40 or a drop of oil.

getagrip:

Maybe Larry, but in my case I can push the blade/plunger down easily with my thumb, but when I push the handle down on top of it, thats when it sticks. Its because it is not hitting the plunger squarely and pushing it at an angle. Like I said its easily solved by manipulating the handle, I think its just because its got a bit loose really. Probably should knock a point off the score for that reason, but in my case could be a one off?

Rebel:

I must admit mine stick with thicker flights like Rhino's but with a tap on the handle it pings open again, other than that, no sticking.
My only criticism would be the pad on the base that holds the 'bits' has popped of a few times leaving little plastic x's all over the place, have had to tape it on.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Excellent review grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. And I completely agree, it is a great tool to have
I swear by these punches, never had a flight come off and since I started using the Target titanium slot rings havent had a point stick in the slot ring either - a great product, good price and does the job perfectly on standard flights.

IMO should come with plastic or metal inserts for kite/ pear flights but with a steady hand/ eye coordination it can be done pretty well without.

BTW, love them flights Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
i got one of these (bulls one) what i didn't like is you can robin hood through the ring . not that happened to me much lol . the whizlock punch is currently on trial by me lol not even thou a dart since i got it this morning , but i like the idea better . i don't think it'll hold the flight as well but for stem protection i reckon its a happy medium
Good review Grip! I've got the Target Flight Punch myself and I wouldn't be without it.
Depends what rings you use on the slot lock punch, springs and aluminum rings bend and are flexible allowing a well aimed point to penetrate and stick in it - however, they do titanium ones now - much tougher, even than steel (points) and while I can't say they wont ever stick in a titanium ring its much, much less likely.
Been using them 2 months or so and not had one yet (fingers crossed) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As for the Wiz Punch, that will all but eliminate robin hoods, your right, it doesn't hold the flight on as well at the rings.

I found that the caps seemed to weigh the back of my darts down but that could have just been in my head as many people swear by the Wiz Punch, I guess it depends what you want personally - zero robin hoods, then the Wiz Punch is for you. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(03-25-2013, 09:20 PM)REBEL Wrote: Depends what rings you use on the slot lock punch, springs and aluminum rings bend and are flexible allowing a well aimed point to penetrate and stick in it - however, they do titanium ones now - much tougher, even than steel (points) and while I can't say they wont ever stick in a titanium ring its much, much less likely.
Been using them 2 months or so and not had one yet (fingers crossed) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As for the Wiz Punch, that will all but eliminate robin hoods, your right, it doesn't hold the flight on as well at the rings.

I found that the caps seemed to weigh the back of my darts down but that could have just been in my head as many people swear by the Wiz Punch, I guess it depends what you want personally - zero robin hoods, then the Wiz Punch is for you. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I don't know about zero. I don't think the Whizlocks would have stopped this from happening
https://www.dartsnutz.net/showthread.php...762#pid762

:-P
maybe through a flight but not the stem . i thought that would be the case with champagne flights , but 6th throw using them - straight through a cap. don't know why i expected a bit of rubber to stop a steel point now thinking about it lol
LOL indeed Jamie. Probably the same reason I put those little plastic flight protectors on the back of my flights. Then, I realized that they are only partially valuable if I am consistent enough to even put two darts that close together often enough to justify spending money on them. In case you were wondering... I'm not lol Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
i'm not either ,but the other day i was smashing stems left right and center . so i though i'll look for a whizlock punch . bet i never get the darts that close again lol
I still have a few sets of those flights, I was going to do a custom Dukes of Hazzard themed set but never got round to it.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mission Darts F Lock Pro Flight Punch Review Getagrip 7 1,002 12-09-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  L Style Shell Lock Punch Review Getagrip 19 20,424 12-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Harrows flight punch review Cosmo 15 7,877 02-17-2016, 01:20 AM
Last Post: gram70
Music One80 Intelite flight punch & the intelite system review clement 10 13,324 08-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Last Post: clement