Target Darts.

elbow allignmemt
I've noticed that my elbow sticks out when I throw. So when I'm throwing and keep everything still, instead of my upper arm going straight over the top, It's more of an angle. Say 10 to 15 degrees. Pushing my elbow in so my upper arm goes straight over the top is a bit uncomfortable. I'm at work atm so I can't practise throwing like this to see how it feels.
If my elbow needs to be strait, I think I could manage and get use too it. I'm kinda curious how you're arm assignment is. Most vids I see are side views so I can't get a good look
Steel Tip:
22g Carrera C10,C9,C3
Soft Tip:
18g Target Carrera C11,C1
18g Cyclones
Total 180's 1
First 180 Nov 8 2014 on wda
Trips for show, Dubs for dough
I'm still pretty new, and for a while I was trying to pull my elbow into the middle, and yes it was uncomfortable. But then one day I was watching this guy just demolish people, and his elbow was sticking out so far it almost looked like he was throwing backhanded. I mentioned this to another great player at the pub, and he said, "Yeah, but his drawback is dead straight." Aha! See Dorian's excellent recent post on the subject.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Do you have a link to this post?

I understand there's always the exception to the rule but still being new and developing my throw, was just wondering if this is something I should work on. My elbow may even stick out more then I stated and could very well lead to bad habits. Or not?
Steel Tip:
22g Carrera C10,C9,C3
Soft Tip:
18g Cyclones
Total 180's 1
(10-29-2014, 02:16 PM)grebber Wrote: Do you have a link to this post?

As a matter of fact, I do.

Link to this post.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

i used to keep my elbow straight as possible it gets uncomfortable quick , but i noticed 1st gary anderson who has one of the best straightest throws has his elbow out and turns out most have their elbow out so i stopped trying to keep it straight and have most consistency now
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Just try and do what's natural to you, I also tried to bring my elbow in straight but it was too uncomfortable and I was pulling darts everywhere. Some good front views of the players at the European championships and many of them had their elbows sticking out but when they threw there arm was straight....
180's: 67
Best 501: 17 (webcam darts) 15 (practice)
Best Finish: 130 (webcam darts) 160 (practice)
Darts
Winmau Ted Hankey 24g
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for the input.
I'm gonna mess around with keeping my elbow in more and see how it feels when I get home. Maybe not perfectly straight but closer and keep it the same every time. I believe I been letting my throw get lazy and flat because my elbow starts sticking out way to much
Steel Tip:
22g Carrera C10,C9,C3
Soft Tip:
18g Cyclones
Total 180's 1
I got to thinking for a while that my arm not been straight was my problem, but there is so many joints and movements in a throw that its hard to really work out the issues and often it is a case of just playing until you find a groove and then trying to be consistent with it. I don't think there is any harm in trying things out though as you never know what a small change here or there can lead to.

I thought I had found the answer to have a straight arm by leaning slightly to the right, this automatically made my arm straight but like I said elsewhere I developed a pain in my shoulder from it which has scuppered that, but it did work for a while. But there is lots of players that have bent throwing arms, Chizzy is one and I think Lloyd is another, so they have just got used to throwing that way.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I know what I really need is just more practise and I plan on playing every day until I get that "Groove". It's all a matter of time and effort. I mainly ask these questions because I'm so new to this game and truly want to get better. Be as efficient as possible and progress instead of just "messing around".
I love playing. But it's more fun when you are winning
Steel Tip:
22g Carrera C10,C9,C3
Soft Tip:
18g Cyclones
Total 180's 1
(10-29-2014, 04:39 PM)grebber Wrote: I know what I really need is just more practise and I plan on playing every day until I get that "Groove". It's all a matter of time and effort. I mainly ask these questions because I'm so new to this game and truly want to get better. Be as efficient as possible and progress instead of just "messing around".
I love playing. But it's more fun when you are winning

I was much the same, for the first 18 months or so I was just sort of playing casually and not really ever expecting to want to go any further than that and I truly believed that if I lived to 100+ I would never ever hit a 180. But when my nephew hit one I changed my mindset and I thought if he can do it then I can too. That's when I got serious and increased by practice from a casual 20 mins here and there to 2 and half hours every day. Within about 3 weeks I hit my first 180 and then another and more followed as well as my only triple bullseye, I was just getting consistent with what I had which was not pretty to look at but I had made it work.

But pain started to creep in then injuries so I guess I got unlucky but I know if I could only do the same amount of practice again I would likely improve a lot, but I have to listen to my body and just have fun instead.

But I think good quality practice can make a big difference Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I try to keep my elbow pretty much in straight, or as I read somewhere as straight as you can without killing yourself. It seems that it helps me with my darts wobble and accuracy, which makes me think when my elbow is not in straight I am not pulling back or throwing crooked.

And I think I am like you, I am pretty new to the game, or at least new to actually trying to get better. I think that this is the perfect time to analyze (or overanalyze) parts of your throw. I would say I am just getting into a consistent throw, which means I sometimes feel comfortable when it starts to flow. A lot of the time Im just feeling uncomfortable but trying to do things as correct as possible. I would rather do this now than develop bad habits, realize these habits are preventing me from getting better, then trying to change them.

Here are some things that I dont necessarily feel comfortable with but still do:
1. elbow in straight as possible
2. follow through
3. release the dart early enough so it has a nice smooth flight (my tendency is to hang on too long and throw a hard wobbly dart about 3 inches too low)
4. Throw a straight barrel dart, when I throw well I can see it fly so nice and its so accurate, otherwise it helps me see what I am doing wrong.
5. Make sure my dart stays straight on the drawback (even though people like bunting do pretty much the exact opposite and are still world class)

After focusing on all of this, there are times where it feels comfortable to do it all right. There are also times where I have to check myself to make sure Im doing it all right, because its uncomfortable again. Sorry for the long post, just rambling. And these are not tips, just what I do personally. I could also be darts bipolar or something
Ok... do not worry about things like your elbow angle.

Try this at home...

Find something straight, and vertical as a reference on the wall across the room. Do your normal motion, but focus on having your hand follow that line up and down. On the draw, release, and follow through. If you are like me, keeping your elbow in, and perfectly straight up and down does NOT allow me to follow that line. My natural elbow position does...

tl:dr... you're thinking too much.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
I need to turn my brain off
Steel Tip:
22g Carrera C10,C9,C3
Soft Tip:
18g Cyclones
Total 180's 1
I find that minor tweaks with your elbow alignment to purposely give yourself a "perfect" alignment can have a negative affect on your throw since it's fighting your own body mechanics. Everyone is built differently...sometimes you need to find what works best for you OWN body. I would definitely try moving to different positions on the oche and see what feels most natural.

I found that when I follow through, I tend to end up with my arm pointing at the D11 no matter how much I tried straightening it out.

It was only then that I moved from the left side of the oche (similar where Barney stands) to the right side at an angle (similar to MVG). My elbow felt better aligned and now all of a sudden my follow through was pointing at the board.

I think instead of forcing your body to adjust to a specific set of mechanics, try moving around the oche using different sides, different angles with front foot, different positions for your rear foot, etc......you'll find that a different body position can often compliment your own natural throw and you end up having better elbow straightness/follow through only because your feet/body is in a more complimentary position for your own body mechanics.
I think it is critical that the elbow point at the target and the upper arm is level to the floor. Throwing a dart is very similar fundamentally to shooting a basketball, which is something I was able to well in my day. Rarely did I ever see a good bball shooter with an elbow sticking out to the side. I said rarely. There are exceptions to every rule, and you will always find the guy that does everything wrong and still performs at a high level, but this is an anomaly. For most of us, building upon solid fundamentals is the key to success. Even if keeping the elbow in feels funny when you're starting out, keep at it. In the long run it will be better and you won't have to unlearn a bad habit.
Darts is like sex. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.