Target Darts.

Phase 5 Mirage or Power 9Fives?!
Hey guys,
I think I'm gonna give the bullet shape a try and I've brought it down to these two sets.

Which one do you guys think is the better of the two?!
Darts: 22g Unicorn Phase 5 Mirage DNA, 22g Target Chizzy Pixel, 23g Target Carrera C3, 24g Harrows Black I.C.E.
Red dragon defender 26g / red dragon bronzer 26g
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Phase 5 Mirage.....it's basically a time proven designed John Lowe Hero dart.
I feel the mirage is very gimmicky. I would go for the 9fives. Also if it your first time trying something that shape why not try a cheaper one first. Maybe the Bulls Bullet or Harrows Bomber. If you want to spend the money go for it, I also like the look of the John Lowe DNA.
The Mirages are answer to everyone's complaints that the Phase 5 only came in a 26g weight. The John Lowe Hero's with the hero grip (same grip as the Phase 5) were offered in multiple weights (20g, 22g, 24g, 26, 28g) but have now been discontinued. I know of a couple of people that own sets and they typically have another 2-3 sets still in the box because the darts have become so sought after/collectable. A John Lowe Golden Hero in a 22g-24g will fetch a hefty sum on the used marked due to the lack of supply/demand.

The Mirages addressed the issue...you're getting a Lowe Hero but with multiple finishes similar to a Taylor Phase 5 (black, rosso, etc..) but can now purchase a 20g-24g version.

Don't get the Lowe World Champs confused with the Lowe Hero's...the World Champs are still in production but they don't have that famous sharp Hero grip originally found on the Taylor Phase 1's-on and lack the 95% tungsten.

I even did a side-by-side comparison of the John Lowe Hero's to the new Mirages. You can see the dimensions are almost identical.

I had a friend compare the two and he believes it's the same barrel after using his own calipers.

Broken link removed

In my opinion after spending time with them, I find the 9Five's semi-gimmicky...plus the 9Five grip isn't for everyone. Some find it too tacky/rough. Very rarely do you hear anyone complain about the Hero grip...just try and find people to sell you a set of 22g-24g John Part Hero's or Barneveld Hero's. They'll refuse or it will cost you big $$$.

Cliff Notes: Unicorn put some fancy colors on the Lowe Hero's to made them more "modern" but it was mainly an answer to people constantly asking to bring back the Lowe Heroes in multiple weights again.
After trying both I would say the Mirage, they just felt better designed and balanced to me.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'm thinking the Mirage.
I have thrown the 9Five for about 5 minutes before and found the grip to be decent but I have never tried the hero grip. Definitely interested to do so.
Darts: 22g Unicorn Phase 5 Mirage DNA, 22g Target Chizzy Pixel, 23g Target Carrera C3, 24g Harrows Black I.C.E.
(10-21-2014, 07:23 AM)Regulatori Wrote: The Mirages are answer to everyone's complaints that the Phase 5 only came in a 26g weight. The John Lowe Hero's with the hero grip (same grip as the Phase 5) were offered in multiple weights (20g, 22g, 24g, 26, 28g) but have now been discontinued. I know of a couple of people that own sets and they typically have another 2-3 sets still in the box because the darts have become so sought after/collectable. A John Lowe Golden Hero in a 22g-24g will fetch a hefty sum on the used marked due to the lack of supply/demand.

The Mirages addressed the issue...you're getting a Lowe Hero but with multiple finishes similar to a Taylor Phase 5 (black, rosso, etc..) but can now purchase a 20g-24g version.

Don't get the Lowe World Champs confused with the Lowe Hero's...the World Champs are still in production but they don't have that famous sharp Hero grip originally found on the Taylor Phase 1's-on and lack the 95% tungsten.

I even did a side-by-side comparison of the John Lowe Hero's to the new Mirages. You can see the dimensions are almost identical.

I had a friend compare the two and he believes it's the same barrel after using his own calipers.

Broken link removed

In my opinion after spending time with them, I find the 9Five's semi-gimmicky...plus the 9Five grip isn't for everyone. Some find it too tacky/rough. Very rarely do you hear anyone complain about the Hero grip...just try and find people to sell you a set of 22g-24g John Part Hero's or Barneveld Hero's. They'll refuse or it will cost you big $$$.

Cliff Notes: Unicorn put some fancy colors on the Lowe Hero's to made them more "modern" but it was mainly an answer to people constantly asking to bring back the Lowe Heroes in multiple weights again.

If only those Lowe golden heroes were easier to find! They're so sexy!
(10-21-2014, 07:23 AM)Regulatori Wrote: The Mirages are answer to everyone's complaints that the Phase 5 only came in a 26g weight. The John Lowe Hero's with the hero grip (same grip as the Phase 5) were offered in multiple weights (20g, 22g, 24g, 26, 28g) but have now been discontinued. I know of a couple of people that own sets and they typically have another 2-3 sets still in the box because the darts have become so sought after/collectable. A John Lowe Golden Hero in a 22g-24g will fetch a hefty sum on the used marked due to the lack of supply/demand.

Broken link removed

Nice post buddy! Good read that.  +1
Plus one from me as well. You did your homework on this Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying the Power 5s but I've had the Lowe's Heroes in 22 and 24 grams, Lowe's World Champion's in 23 grams as well as the Phase 5s. I really thought the 22 gram Heroes were THE dart for me - absolutely loved them but....thought they were a bit on the light side. So I tried them in 24 grams....can't explain it but I just could not get on with them. Same with the World Champion in 23 grams. Again, very strange but how do you go up one gram and find a dart just too heavy? I know Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Flash forward to a few weeks ago. I received a 22 gram set of the Mirage darts (natural tungsten). Totally fell in love with them. Absolutely felt great.....but....a tad light. So, packed them up and requested an exchange (actually ordered in 24 grams). Just heard today that the barrels were too nicked up and an exchange was not possible, so they are on the way back to me. My bad Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The Mirage are the best version of the Lowe/Taylor barrel in my opinion and also are the best bullet style dart I have ever thrown. I will be ordering the 24 gram version in the near future, without a doubt.
Sounds like majority are for the Mirage!
Cheapest place to buy?
I'm in Canada so I'm gonna get nicked for shipping from anywhere
Anyone know if theres any issues putting the 30mm storm points into the Mirage 22g?
No I'm sure there won't be. Not that I have tried the 22g but it's basically a lighter phase5 and they look great with storms I think
Here's Sabers thread, he is selling phase5 gold. He has storms fitted to them and they look great
https://www.dartsnutz.net/showthread.php?tid=8849
Ah perfect! Thanks!
They do look very solid! Im thinking the silver smooth in the DNA Mirage...should look nice I think!