Unicorn

cant decide on a grip
i understand there isnt a wrong way to hold a dart but i just keep changing the way i hold it. i jut can seem to get comfortable with one way. i try holding it like a pencil and ill throw a few then i try moving my thumb around. almost like my thumb is facing my face. ill do it that way for a bit then start messing with everything else.
did it take any of you awhile to figure out how to hold it or is it just a natural thing for you and im just screwed up Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Steel Tip:
22g Carrera C10,C9,C3
Soft Tip:
18g Target Carrera C11,C1
18g Cyclones
Total 180's 1
First 180 Nov 8 2014 on wda
Trips for show, Dubs for dough
Just pick up a dart the most natural way is the most repeatable way. As long as the point isn't facing you you should be ok
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
i few ways feel "natural" for about 10 minutes then i question it. i really need to stick with on way
Steel Tip:
22g Carrera C10,C9,C3
Soft Tip:
18g Cyclones
Total 180's 1
You'll sort it out even the pros change their grip from time to time

The less thinking at the oche you do the better
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

(10-16-2014, 11:14 PM)jamie373 Wrote: Just pick up a dart the most natural way is the most repeatable way. As long as the point isn't facing you you should be ok

There's a gentlemen in our Monday night steel league that throws his dart's backwards... Point is facing him!
(10-17-2014, 02:16 AM)darwin1200 Wrote:
(10-16-2014, 11:14 PM)jamie373 Wrote: Just pick up a dart the most natural way is the most repeatable way. As long as the point isn't facing you you should be ok

There's a gentlemen in our Monday night steel league that throws his dart's backwards... Point is facing him!

bit of a maverick is he lol
does he have any success ?
thanks for the replies. i think like what many have said is just throw it. stop thinking so much. finished my first A1 session and after quite awhile i settled in on a grip and throw that seems to be getting me consistent throws.
Steel Tip:
22g Carrera C10,C9,C3
Soft Tip:
18g Cyclones
Total 180's 1
(10-17-2014, 02:48 AM)jamie373 Wrote:
(10-17-2014, 02:16 AM)darwin1200 Wrote:

bit of a maverick is he lol
does he have any success ?

He's made if work for him and plays in the upper A division.
Jamie said it the best I believe. Put the darts in your non throwing hand and pick one out, however you grab the dart use that grip and throw. Problem with changing your grip so much especially being a beginner is that you over think at the oche. I did it and still do it, trying to shake not changing grip has not been easy.

I agree with jamie373. Pick it up, aim, and throw. Just like holding a pen.
whatever is most comfortable
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Go to a dartshop, they always have good advice.
Darts: Shot! 901-1 gold 21gr/Winmau Hankey 21 gr/Unicorn Wade 22gr
Board: Shot! Bandit Plus
Like others have said, just pick a dart, and thats your grip. Dont over think it. You're either going to use a three finger grip (two fingers and a thumb), or two or four. Thats it before you run out Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Most people like their thumb at the balance point of the dart.
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

Very Funny thanks.... needed a laugh Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Ask most people with a few years of playing and they'll most likely say their grip evolved over time (could be minor changes or major changes). If you do want to try different things with your grip, focus on one area at a time. For example, I had an issue where the dart would catch on a finger sometimes during the release. I would try different things with one finger at a time...like in the rear where you hold the dart between thumb/pointer finger, I would try gripping the dart on different areas of my pointer finger. Example...holding it above my top finger joint, on the finger joint, below the finger joint, middle joint, etc.. Even the smallest of changes can have a huge effect. I ended up fixing my issue by rolling the dart between my fingers when bringing it up to my face so the barrel sat between the middle pointer finger joint/tip of my thumb.

It may sound stupid but keep a notepad with you while throwing at home. If notice something working, write a note (or in my case, I would draw an outline of a finger and draw an "x" marking where I was holding the dart). Nothing worse than figuring out something that's working after a long night of practice and not being able to replicate it (or remember) the next day. I do the same thing with feet positions.....I used to have a roll of painter's/masking tape next to my oche. If I found a foot position that gave me consistently good results, I would bend down after the throw (so not to move my feet) and put down a few pieces of tape to mark the placement of my feet to use as a reference for later/next day.