Darts Buddy

Unicorn Kevin Painter Maestro 22g darts review

Here is a review of the Unicorn kevin Painter Maestro Premier Tungsten darts, these are the 22g version and they are also available in 20 and 24 grams and retail for £31.99. They are a classic straight barrel ring grip dart and are 90% tungsten, you can find more info on the Unicorn site here: Kevin Painter darts

The darts are 90% tungsten and come in the Unicorn cardboard box supplied with luxury midi wallet, medium alloy stems pre fitted with rubber "O" rings and Kevin Painter "The Artist" signature pear flights.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Like I said above the darts are just a classic ring grip so its only a medium level of grip and there is no grip on the very rear of the barrel.

Dimensions:

Length:

The barrels are pretty close to my preferred length:

Width:

Detailed dimensions:

Weight:

2 barrels were exactly the same weight and the third was 11 hundredths difference, no big deal really:

Weight of the full setup as supplied:

Balance:

With nothing attached the barrels were slightly front weighted but I did measure about 13mm drilled out from the rear:

With the supplied set up the balance moved nearer to middle may be a little to the rear:

Balance with my medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

My grip with these:

Darts landed in the board in my usual way when I used my standards but were a bit flatter with the pears on:

Conclusion:

These are a classic straight barrel dart nothing fancy they just work well as they are really.

I could not get on with the pear flights and was getting a little bit of fishtailing using the supplied set up. When I switched to my medium nylons and standard flights they were flying very nice and had a much smoother flight through the air.

The grip is only medium level but there is a nice feel to the tungsten and the edges of the rings had some sharpness which helped but that will no doubt wear after use. The balance even with my front grip was very nice and I like the little thin ring at the front of the barrel, it give me something a little extra to push against.

They are a nice pleasant dart to throw and I think centre grippers may like them best but I felt they worked very well with my front grip only issue is my shoulder pain preventing me from getting a full straight arm throw but I think once its fully better these should work well for me. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 6.5 (nothing fancy just a classic style)
Grip: 6 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (2 were exact)
Quality: 8 (fine quality package)
Value: 7.5 (decent value)
Suitability for me: 7.5 (Fly nice when I used my own set up)

Best Feature: Balance was nice when set up to my liking Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Freaking fantastic camera work and great review! Big +1 from me. I am always fortunate when i know a dart wont work for me because otherwise your reviews make me want to run out and by it ASAP.
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

LOL just buy them anyway Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers Nathan! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

another superb review, thanks. +1 from me too.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Thanks Rich! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice work Darren. Your photography and video are excellent - has to be the definitive review anywhere out there. I picked up a new set of these in 20 gram on the auction site a few weeks back for a steal. I was surprised how well I threw with them once i'd changed the set-up as you did - I bought them as a collector and usually throw a 25 gram tapered dart. There's something to be said for a classic, understated dart like these. A +1 from me too. Cheers, Carlin.
Nice review as always!
I always enjoy looking at those darts close up.

although I have to say I never expected a review of a classic set of ring grip darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. lol
MVG Collection: 21g Masterdarts MVG Silver/Black Ring/Gold/Black & 23g Masterdarts MVG Black
Darts Collection: Click to view my darts gallery

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(08-19-2014, 09:00 PM)4737 Carlin Wrote: Nice work Darren. Your photography and video are excellent - has to be the definitive review anywhere out there. I picked up a new set of these in 20 gram on the auction site a few weeks back for a steal. I was surprised how well I threw with them once i'd changed the set-up as you did - I bought them as a collector and usually throw a 25 gram tapered dart. There's something to be said for a classic, understated dart like these. A +1 from me too. Cheers, Carlin.

Thanks, I have some of the older Painter darts I think the old ones were slightly shorter but it just goes top show you really dont need anything too fancy Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-20-2014, 03:23 AM)Mr.K Wrote: Nice review as always!
I always enjoy looking at those darts close up.

although I have to say I never expected a review of a classic set of ring grip darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. lol

Thanks mate, classic style still has a place but I think with all the new coatings and machining of special grips we have lost track of how effective a simple grip and style is Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(08-20-2014, 09:11 AM)Getagrip Wrote: I think with all the new coatings and machining of special grips we have lost track of how effective a simple grip and style is Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So much truth there!
I always tell my friends that a $30 (CAD) darts are as good as $90 darts...
MVG Collection: 21g Masterdarts MVG Silver/Black Ring/Gold/Black & 23g Masterdarts MVG Black
Darts Collection: Click to view my darts gallery

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Agreed, the set I played best with a few years ago cost less than £10 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review Getagrip, these look like a dart I would get along with well, I think I may give these a try, thankyou! +1
Cheers, glad you like it! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 41 26,773 04-25-2021, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Bart
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 829 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 5,263 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 503 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 1,371 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 408 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,928 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Unicorn Raymond van Barneveld World Champion Phase 1 25g darts review Getagrip 24 12,512 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: The Runner
  Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 3 Purist Darts Review Paldini-fc 6 963 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Last Post: WhiskyPops
  Unicorn T90 23 grams review. Phil D 6 884 03-28-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade