Unicorn

What is the most important.....
Hey guys,

Waiting for the flight school to respond but was wondering what is a good important fundamental to learn. Is it getting a good rhythm, aiming, something else or a combination? My problem is I don't know what to do. I can do alright at grouping, although the third dart sometimes pretends it has been thrown by my left arm!!! I notice that if I get a rhythm they group well but my aim can be really bad.

Any advice as always is greatly appreciated and any routines to practise would be good.

Thanks

Mikey
be steady and comfortable and try not to over think every little thing and work on a good follow through and rythym
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
A good follow though with your arm has to be a very important factor. It will lessen snatching and help with consistency.
I'd add: stand still and don't move anything but your arm. It's not easy.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Here ya go.
Get comfortable at the line. If right handed, keep the right foot more forward than the left. Very few folks throw darts with both feet on the line, but I've seen it done, usually with bad results.

Do your best to only allow the arm to move when throwing. Watch some dart videos of the pros and you will see how rock solid most of them are at the line when throwing. Also, limit any extra motion like pumping the dart prior to throw similar to what a pool player does with his cue prior to striking the ball.

Follow through after you release the dart.

Try to center your throwing arm to the center of the board where it will be in line with the 20, bull, and 3.
Some practice routines I use when doing so alone is to start at 170 and see how many darts it takes for you to take it out on double. I also have a can with wood tiles similar to Scrabble tiles that are numbered from 40 to 100 and I will take a tile and see how many darts it takes to hit the double out.

I play a good bit of Cricket and practice hitting those numbers along with the bulls.

I'll also practice hitting doubles and triples around the board.

If practicing with a partner, we will simply play a few series of best of 3 x 301 double in and out, best of 3 Cricket and best of 3 x 501 straight start, double out.
Thanks guys, I don't know if it's the right thing to do but I try to imitate the way the pros throw ie relaxed, follow through and don't snatch. I also suppose limiting my practise and knowing when to stop when my arm gets tired would stop me getting frustrated.

I like that video Saber, PT makes it look so easy but that is what happens when you practise practise practise!!! Although I wonder if he was naturally gifted and it just cane a lot easier for him???
(07-30-2014, 09:33 PM)mikeyjm26 Wrote: PT makes it look so easy but that is what happens when you practise practise practise!!! Although I wonder if he was naturally gifted and it just cane a lot easier for him???

I'm betting that in his case it's the former. Especially when you factor in that he's arching his back and turning his head to bring the dart up in front of his left (dominant) eye. It's contortion, practically, and he makes it look so smooth.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(07-30-2014, 09:26 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Some practice routines I use when doing so alone is to start at 170 and see how many darts it takes for you to take it out on double. I also have a can with wood tiles similar to Scrabble tiles that are numbered from 40 to 100 and I will take a tile and see how many darts it takes to hit the double out.

I play a good bit of Cricket and practice hitting those numbers along with the bulls.

I'll also practice hitting doubles and triples around the board.

If practicing with a partner, we will simply play a few series of best of 3 x 301 double in and out, best of 3 Cricket and best of 3 x 501 straight start, double out.

Thanks for that gumbo2176, I'll definitely give them a try.
Fundamental you say? I'd go for the mind/mental conditioning.
(07-30-2014, 11:31 PM)majeek Wrote: Fundamental you say? I'd go for the mind/mental conditioning.

That is another good point, I find that if I don't really think about the shot and just throw I really am hoping it hits the right number but when I do it makes such a difference.
Working on repeating your throw consistently. It doesn't really matter much how you throw, as long as you do it the same every time.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(07-31-2014, 04:29 PM)Milkysunshine Wrote: Working on repeating your throw consistently. It doesn't really matter much how you throw, as long as you do it the same every time.

That is the hard part but I am getting better. I watched a few videos to see how the pros throw and saw that my way is just now right lol. After making the change to imitate them it made an almost instant difference. Getting the rhythm is the hard part but I do find that I'm improving. When you throw right it feels effortless and usually goes where you intended, I assume this is what you guys feel all the time?
(08-01-2014, 12:22 AM)mikeyjm26 Wrote: I assume this is what you guys feel all the time?
Maybe when I'm dreaming.... but yes. When all is right, it just works.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mental attitude so Important when playing to win *Saber* 15 3,263 01-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Denadart