Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

changing darts
we are all on this great forum together to offer help and advice to one another so i feel strongly about this and think someone has to say something its come to my attention recently that new people who have taken up the game are buying their first set of darts which they pay good money for they throw with them for a few days or a week decide oh there not for me go online or whatever and buy a new set this costs them more money they end up with sets of darts that they will never get what they payed for them also with a few sets lying around they constantly are tempted to change and change and so forth i am all for tinkering around with setups and the like but for gods sake give the set u have bought a decent workout a few weeks at least finding the right dart and setup is a long and gradual process and there is no quick fix by constantly buying new darts and becomes very expensive hope i do not come across as patronising just think its madness
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
great post ! +1
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Your absolutely right, and I am one of the most guilty for swapping and changing but I dont advise people to do what I do. Sticking to a set for a good length of time is the only way to improve I believe, with me my enjoyment is from collecting and trying out different darts simply because I love doing it.

I have known for a long time it has not helped me improve my game but after injuring my shoulder and finding I could not throw like I once did I am not so concerned about that side of things now.

But I would say I am an exception, because my enjoyment lies in acquiring and trying the darts and I guess you could call it an addiction and one that I dont know if it will ever stop.:s
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(04-10-2013, 06:21 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Your absolutely right, and I am one of the most guilty for swapping and changing but I dont advise people to do what I do. Sticking to a set for a good length of time is the only way to improve I believe, with me my enjoyment is from collecting and trying out different darts simply because I love doing it.

I have known for a long time it has not helped me improve my game but after injuring my shoulder and finding I could not throw like I once did I am not so concerned about that side of things now.

But I would say I am an exception, because my enjoyment lies in acquiring and trying the darts and I guess you could call it an addiction and one that I dont know if it will ever stop.:s
ya thats a valid statement grip since i came on this forum i have noticed that some people are in to collecting darts and swapping and there is nothing wrong with that tis people spending hundred of euro dollars pounds on darts in a matter of weeks i think some actually believe that they will buy a set and start hitting tons 140s 180s that takes skill a lot of time and a lot of practice u cant get that straight away out of a box
Good post
yeah its very true you need to be patient and dont expect to achieve miracles by changing your darts. I think the main thing to get right is your weight first. Then the style of barrel shape which is often dictated by where you hold the dart but not set in stone. Lastly I think is grip style/pattern and the setup that you use i.e. stem and flight combo.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(04-10-2013, 06:47 PM)Getagrip Wrote: yeah its very true you need to be patient and dont expect to achieve miracles by changing your darts. I think the main thing to get right is your weight first. Then the style of barrel shape which is often dictated by where you hold the dart but not set in stone. Lastly I think is grip style/pattern and the setup that you use i.e. stem and flight combo.
all very true and pot on
Good post.

This is one of the reasons we offer the 'buy&try' scheme.

OK, so we can only offer 7 days BUT we will allow you to try as many sets as you like & even go back to ones you have tried before.

We know this may not be the final answer, but we hope it helps people out.
This is what happend to Adam with hes swaps,no offences.
Sometimes all it takes is a change of stem of flight. A small stem or different style of flight can make the dart feel different and they can fly better for you. Good post 1in1out.
Yeah, great post and absolutely spot on lads.
I have been guilty of trying many sets of darts thinking there would be a miracle cure or one would suddenly feel just right - never happens and never will do.

Gonna sound daft but until I started visiting darts forums I had the same set of darts for years (22g Steve Beaton B&W) and never even considered changing darts - nor flights and stems for that matter.

I just replaced what needed replacing with whatever the pub had available (they had a couple of the cards with bags of flights and stems stapled on). If they only had short stems then short stems would do the trick, pear flights, no problem, just get on with it I thought.

Not blowing my own trumpet I was a decent player and never even thought about my set up - it was a set of darts and that is all that mattered, I had a set of darts to play with.

That all changed when I joined another forum - I was seeing other peoples darts that looked nicer than mine and they were easily accessible to buy 2nd hand, also after a while I had a few sets to swap too - big mistake in my opinion as my game has gone backwards very very quickly.

Its more about consistency with me, some nights I will throw like I used to and others I cant even hit big numbers, it doesn't matter what darts I am using because it is in my head and its stuck there now- the problem is over analyzing!!!

As soon as I throw a bad dart I am immediately thinking if I am stood correctly, if I am holding the dart right - then the next dart is even worse, my head drops and I may as well put me darts away.

That never used to happen, I would just throw and throw and throw, no worrying about changing this and that because I read somewhere that doing this was better than doing that - its killed me game.

Best advice there is, get a set you like the look of and just get on with it but most of all ENJOY playing darts. :Saucey:
Which store still does the "Buy and Try" scheme? I believe Infinity Darts no longer sells darts?

With darts getting expensive, manufacturers should also provide favors such as this to us buyers.
I have to disagree. The one set theory sounds logical. And while it may be true for some, ultimately I think it is mostly superstition and mind games. I think a truly skilled darter should be able to produce good results with any dart they may choose to throw. Here's the thing, If you want to be good with all darts, you have to practice with a lot of darts. If you just practice with one set, you will only be good with one set. If you tend to throw a variety of darts as I do, you will come to realize that darts aren't magic. They don't throw themselves. Therefore, if you are throwing badly, it is futile to think a change will correct that. I have noticed as my skill has improved (though only modestly) I can throw all of my darts better. I have developed a grip that works with all the weird shapes and sizes in my collection, so I don't have to worry about grip change when swapping darts. It does take a moment or a few throws to adapt to different weights. For that reason, I recommend sticking with one set while competing. But, in practice, I am throwing them all. I admit I am borderline nutz. But, though my collection slowly continues to grow, I don't have the hundreds of sets many do. I also have no really high end (read expensive) darts. I buy the cheap stuff and can still pay the mortgage so the little lady stays happy. If I never become a true shooter, I am not going to use the excuse that I had too many darts.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

With so many variables, throwing a dart gives lots of opportunities for change.
As I have only been playing a few months, I have had the chance to try and get a solid set up in terms of stance, grip, rhythm and aiming. Any changes I have made to these over this time have been refinements to try and ensure I am doing things correctly.
I'm pretty happy with my stance and grip and am still working on rhythm and aiming.
With the stance and grip pretty much set, I have found different darts behave differently when I throw.
It's at this point that I believe experimenting with lots of different darts types will be beneficial - As long as I don't change the fundamentals of grip, stance, etc., to fit the dart. I just want a dart that suits the fundamentals.

If the OP is aimed at experienced players trying to get a quick fix, I fully agree. But for the stage I am at, changing darts regularly in pursuit of what suits me is an important phase in me learning the game.

So there you go I have justified to myself all that money I am blowing on new darts :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing darts Borisbbadd 13 760 03-07-2019, 05:12 AM
Last Post: None80
  Peter Wright Changing Darts (Feb 2018) Banz 3 871 02-03-2018, 03:06 AM
Last Post: Toosum
  Changing darts jimmyo73180 9 3,091 10-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Darts keep changing Carpy 2 877 10-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Snakebite changing his darts Little al 9 23,988 07-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: vanJupp