Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Target Phil Taylor Power 9five 24g darts review

I got these when they first came out from Puredarts.co.uk they cost £63.98 click here but I never got a chance to use them at the time because of breaking my hand so I finally got round to reviewing them now! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

These darts will also be given away in our Matchplay Comp here: https://www.dartsnutz.net/showthread.php?tid=6815

The darts come in the standard Target packaging. They are supplied with the new Target Taylor Power Titanium shaft, it looks like a tweenie size to me and the new design Target Taylor Vision edge flights. There is no case supplied which is the norm it seems with Target, pity as it would have been nice to have a case supplied with these with the Target Teaylor logo on.

The darts incorporate Targets Pixel grip which has a nice blue Ti colour, they are 95% tungsten hence the 9Five name.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As you can see in the pics the front of the barrels also have some notches in them, I cant say that I could feel the affect of these to a great extent but it may add a little to the grip for some extra control. The pixel grip is not as grippy as you would think but I think its still a high medium level but for me the pixel grip seems to feel better when its a little closer together like it is on the nose of the C3 Carrera darts.

Below you can see a pic of the new shafts and flights. One thing I like about the shafts is it gives the barrel a streamlined look when attached as it flows from the rear of the barrel and the shape continues onto the shaft before tapering to a thin rod like shape. Overall though I feel the shafts are kind of pointless, they are made of titanium but have replaceable alloy tops and that just seems a bit gimmicky for the sake of it to me. The flights are 100 micron and have a very unique shape which I think looks great but they are very small and may not suit everyone.

I compared the darts to the 26 Unicorn Rossos above. The points on the Targets are longer and the barrel of the Targets is a small fraction longer and thicker too. But I think the grip on the Rosso's is a bit stronger than the pixel grip.

When I first got the darts in January the first thing I pointed out on the forum in my preview was how much these 24g Target 9five's are drilled out. It seems a bit lazy to just make all the darts the same dimension and then just drill out the rear to achieve the desired weight. There may be a good reason why Target choose to do that but I cant help feeling that they just thought it was the cheaper option to take. :dodgy: As you can see in the pics below the rear is drilled out a long way it is in fact nearly 18mm:

Dimensions:

Length:

Barrels are not very long:

Width:

Quite a thick barrel:

Detailed dimensions:

Weight:

The barrels were closely matched, 2 were within 1 hundredth of a gram and the third barrel was just 5 hundredths difference:

Weight of setup as supplied:

Balance:

With the darts shape and the fact that they are drilled out so much the balance is very much to the front with nothing attached:

With the shafts and flights attached the dart is still front weighted:

Balance with medium, short and extra short nylon shafts and standard 100 micron flights:

I gripped these darts at the front, mostly on the front of the pixel grip and on the front smooth section:

When I switched to the usual setup of my nylon mediums and standard flights (see video review above) the darts were landing in my usual slightly tail up angle:

Conclusion:

I was not really sure how I would take to these darts as although I used to throw a similar shaped dart in the Lowe's years ago, my throw changed so much that I don't think its the shape that best suits me now. Also I had tried the Unicorn Phase 5's before and never got on so well with those but was not sure if it was the weight which is why I was eager to try these 24g 9five darts.

Cosmetically I really like the look of the darts, the blue pixel grip and the way they streamline into the ti shafts gives the darts a great look and I think I was swayed as much by that than the fact they are Taylor darts. Not that I have anything against Taylor mind, just proving how shallow I am when choosing darts lol!

The pixel grip like I said above is not as grippy as you would imagine but while its new you can still feel the edginess to the individual pixels and I would say its more than adequate for most people.

The flights were not to my liking though, they look cool but as you can see in video the darts were landing in the board at a strange angle and they often flew too high. It seems to me that these flights are for people who have a very precise consistent throw or who throw it that bit harder/faster than the norm. When I switched to my medium nylons and standard flights the change was so much better and the darts were a lot more stable in flight and behaved more like I am used to.

I think the balance works quite well for my slightly loopy throw too, but only when I stabilized it with the bigger flights.

Overall I think they are nice darts but they may take some tweaking to suit your throw, but I don't think much of the ti shafts. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 8.5 (quite a cool look)
Grip: 7 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (close)
Quality: 7.5 (seems nice quality)
Value: 6.5 (Would be nice to get a case)
Suitability for me: 7 (worked better with the right set up)

Best Feature: The looks Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review mate. Lovely lookin darts.
A team mate of mine has 2 sets of these in 22g. 1 set he brought about 2 months ago and he has just brought a back up set. When we compared them last night I was surprised how much the grip had worn on the oldest set compared to the new. Really don't seem to be very hard wearing. The feel of both sets is different and you can even tell by looking at them.
Nice looking but not worth the money in my opinion.
Darts - 21g DF01 Daytona Fires with Carbon TI Short Shafts.
Highest Checkout: Trebles Board 157, Doubles Board 100

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Super review as always Darren! Thank you.. I think they look lovely!

cheers..

so i caved and bought another set (really missed them) :s lol...need any 180 pics? i have quite a few....great review darren
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

I finally got a chance to throw the Power 9fives recently and I immediately fell in love with the pixel grip. It felt as if was able to propel the dart with just the groves of my thumb and index finger with the sligtest grip pressure. With that being said, I simply can't afford those bad boys. I tend to rest my middle finger on the tip so a slighly front weighted dart is a must. Do you guys know of any other darts out there with the similar grippiness, width and balance?
I am glad a resisted buying these darts. I was watching him play against Barnie (on tv last night '13 semi finals) and noticed how often he blocked himself because of the thickness of these darts. I shall resist a while longer. I think Unicorn got it right with the Sigma by changing the diameter of the dart according to the weight. Lots of bad reviews on the Ti shafts. I wonder how they fly with Sliksticks and the same flights?
You don't mess with The Voice of Reason. You have the right to be wrong.

(07-16-2014, 09:37 PM)The DArtist Wrote: I am glad a resisted buying these darts. I was watching him play against Barnie (on tv last night '13 semi finals) and noticed how often he blocked himself because of the thickness of these darts. I shall resist a while longer. I think Unicorn got it right with the Sigma by changing the diameter of the dart according to the weight. Lots of bad reviews on the Ti shafts. I wonder how they fly with Sliksticks and the same flights?

not very good too be honest fly better with the packaged metal stems

high price, low-med. rating
wow, bet target was glad of a late review (best part of dart is the looks)lol
top notch review Grip,
do you ever wonder if the big dart companys are:watchingu: you.
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

LOL I dont think the barrels are bad as such just not liking the flights or shafts, the flights look great but dont suit my throw and the shafts are rather pointless but do smooth off the shape of the barrel nicely. They flew a lot better with my own set up but overall I dont think they work as good as I was wanting them to for me personally. I think they could probably lose those front notches and may be add another couple of rings to the front and back but space the pixels a bit closer, I think that would make them better for more grip variations and improve the grippiness also, but they are Taylors darts and he will get them designed how he wants, guess that may be 9Five Phase 2 though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(07-16-2014, 10:28 PM)Getagrip Wrote: LOL I dont think the barrels are bad as such just not liking the flights or shafts, the flights look great but dont suit my throw and the shafts are rather pointless but do smooth off the shape of the barrel nicely. They flew a lot better with my own set up but overall I dont think they work as good as I was wanting them to for me personally. I think they could probably lose those front notches and may be add another couple of rings to the front and back but space the pixels a bit closer, I think that would make them better for more grip variations and improve the grippiness also, but they are Taylors darts and he will get them designed how he wants, guess that may be 9Five Phase 2 though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
so in short ,you like it but would change everything thing about them?
I looked up the black ice review to compare the two
but you changed the summary ratings
maybe one spot to show summary rating for each dart you do?
if i am looking for a more grippier dart, check the chart to compare kind of thing .
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

Great review grip! +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

(07-16-2014, 10:43 PM)181-3dartout Wrote:
(07-16-2014, 10:28 PM)Getagrip Wrote: LOL I dont think the barrels are bad as such just not liking the flights or shafts, the flights look great but dont suit my throw and the shafts are rather pointless but do smooth off the shape of the barrel nicely. They flew a lot better with my own set up but overall I dont think they work as good as I was wanting them to for me personally. I think they could probably lose those front notches and may be add another couple of rings to the front and back but space the pixels a bit closer, I think that would make them better for more grip variations and improve the grippiness also, but they are Taylors darts and he will get them designed how he wants, guess that may be 9Five Phase 2 though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
so in short ,you like it but would change everything thing about them?
I looked up the black ice review to compare the two
but you changed the summary ratings
maybe one spot to show summary rating for each dart you do?
if i am looking for a more grippier dart, check the chart to compare kind of thing .

No thats not what I meant. I mean if I wanted to improve them to suit my grip better I would add an extra pixel grip ring at the front which would probably mean getting rid of the notches but I dont think they add much to the dart any way and I will be surprised if they do anything for Taylors grip so they seem to be added just for looks more than anything. Also if there was an extra ring or may be 2 extra rings at the rear it would benefit rear grippers better also.

Remember the review is like I said before more of a reference to the features/look/dimensions of the dart but with my own personal opinion on how it is for me out of the box and I try to base that on the whole setup as it is available to buy and take into account the cost, its not an easy thing to evaluate so its worth reading the whole review and watching the video to get my full impression. Its also why I would like more people to review darts and not just rely on my opinion alone as we all perceive things differently.

The summary rating is something I added as a change to giving an overall score because I felt that giving a dart a score out of 10 say, was not very helpful really and its difficult to rate one darts features over another to work out a meaningful score. I also think the personal factor is too much of an influence and can give the wrong impression with just an overall score, if I give a dart 9 out of 10 you might try the same dart and hate it so think its more like a 5. So, although I give scores on the summary ratings they are just my personal opinions on some aspects of the darts which I take into account from all the above reasons and are just as a guide on my thoughts from the review as a whole.

With these darts the stand out feature for me is how it looks out of the box. Although I dont like the shafts and find the flights impractical for me, as a whole setup it looks cool Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I have said many times that I have never liked to give a scale to grip as it is such a personal thing and we all have different perceptions based on how sensitive our touch is. I only add it because people always ask about what level it is. It was Neil who started the scale of 1 - 5 level grip I think, but to me I find that too restrictive so I went for 1 - 10 but even then its not something I like to do, but try to be as accurate as I can. I am just as happy to say its grippy, a bit grippy, very grippy etc but again that can be a little ambiguous too.

Quality and value are kind of interlinked to some extent. You would expect a more expensive dart to be of better quality really.

I give a rating on how well the darts work for me but sometimes its not so easy to give a score because I often find darts that sometimes dont fly so great but I find myself enjoying using them, so that part of the review I base on many personal factors and not just on results, comfort in holding the dart is one thing I look at too and how the dart flies through the air and how well the balance feels etc.

Having a list of all these ratings might be useful to some but I think you really need to base your own opinion by reading and viewing the whole review and determine if you think the darts would suit you personally. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(07-16-2014, 11:05 PM)Cankles of Fury Wrote: Great review grip! +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers Nate! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

After selling my set the other day I really missed them. So I ordered another set lol. Just arrived Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Super review - couldn't have said it better myself lol Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Target Nathan Aspinall 80 Darts Review Getagrip 5 171 Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Chris B
  Target Glen Durrant 80 Darts Review Getagrip 5 295 04-10-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Target Stephen Bunting Gen 4 Darts Review Getagrip 32 1,197 02-25-2021, 02:40 AM
Last Post: asquick
  Archers Power Play 24g darts review Getagrip 9 5,318 02-09-2021, 01:22 PM
Last Post: samsimilian
  Target Danny Baggish Gen 1 Darts Review Getagrip 20 794 02-08-2021, 03:06 PM
  Target Rob Cross Gen 2 Darts Review Getagrip 13 914 02-02-2021, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  Target Orb 01 Darts Review Getagrip 8 1,032 01-25-2021, 05:04 PM
  Target Echo Darts Review Getagrip 16 856 01-18-2021, 03:36 PM
  Target Keane Barry Darts Review Getagrip 4 400 12-08-2020, 05:20 PM