Unicorn

Tips for the Forum: Help the forum get better and check your image size !
Information 
(06-09-2021, 01:07 PM)nixer55 Wrote: I have a confession.  When I introduced ways to make it easier post pictures - created a monster.  Can't say didn't see it coming - expected some issues.  But never anticipated so many would have little idea of picture size, and what it means to a website.  Sign of the times perhaps. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Yes, we have resize tools that make things fit better.  But that only masks the problem.  Many pics are still very much bigger than what can be natively displayed.  Guess I could blame big tech and social media.  They process pics and other media to suit their specific requirements.  Also have very deep pockets to do this stuff.  Partly funded by tracking you all over the Internet.  In today's world - such information is money.  We don't do that or otherwise monetize our content.  Outside of showing you approved sponsors - partners really. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So guess we'll have to devise strategies to deal with this issue.  This thread proves the problem has been with us for a very long time.  Dealt with voluntarily within - and by - our community.  Hate to penalize members who've proactively taken steps to understand and address the problem.  I'll try not to cause you any issues. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  But after we deal with another fairly major upgrade - be looking into this further.  Ways of dealing with it, but not sure they'll work better - or as anticipated.

Time will tell, because the status quo is not sustainable. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Is the resize thing, still, a thing in progress ? I guess so looking at this.

Is it about file size, or, image dimensions, the problems, with slowing the site ?

Am I right in thinking, you have to go to the picture manually and resize it there, with the below ?

nixer55. Edit Reason: Resized images with URL edit 

It definately, does seem to be easier to post pictures, than it was one time and guess that lots of threads have pictures / photos on them, of some sort, or, other.

But, it does seem it might be taking up a lot of your time on doing edits.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b, with 41 mm nylon shafts + kite flights (fly well, these).

Other barrels I quite like, are, 24 gram knurled assassins (by harrows).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 20 to 24 grams.
How to anwer? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

File size and image dimensions are related.  You can can control one by changing limits for the other.  In the old days with attachments - which we hosted - put limits on file size.  Hosting on the cloud, tend to worry more about pixel scale.  Have less control anyway.  As long as Imgur doesn't complain.   Then we have a problem.  I for one, wouldn't be upset if they put file size limits on our API - which makes all this possible.

Long and short of it - we can't display an image natively unless the pixel dimensions are less than 1024 wide - or thereabouts.  Really depends on your screen.  Practically, it's a little more, but that's where we have the resize circuits set.  Why?  Because that matches up with Imgur's "huge thumbnail".  Which is a max size of 1024 X 1024 pixels.  Moving a thumbnail from here to there - and to you - can easily be a bandwidth savings of 90% or more.  Each way.  So better performance all around. 

Modern digital cameras and phones are shipping with default settings of 6, 10, 12 megapixels - and more.  And we just shoot and post.  Or most of us do - lol.  For example, a 6 megapixel camera, by default, takes pictures 2008 X 3032 px.  Why?  Marketing mainly.  This article - while over a decade old - has a pretty good take on it -  link.

All I'm doing with the URL edit resize - is documented here:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=36842

That's not sustainable in the long run, so we'll probably change it.

BTW, some of you are doing fine.  But if you see me edit your pics on a regular basis - that's a smoking gun.   Already said I would: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/thread-3...#pid643449
(06-09-2021, 03:26 PM)nixer55 Wrote: How to anwer? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

File size and image dimensions are related.  You can can control one by changing limits for the other.  In the old days with attachments - which we hosted - put limits on file size.  Hosting on the cloud, tend to worry more about pixel scale.  Have less control anyway.  As long as Imgur doesn't complain.   Then we have a problem.  I for one, wouldn't be upset if they put file size limits on our API - which makes all this possible.

Long and short of it - we can't display an image natively unless the pixel dimensions are less than 1024 wide - or thereabouts.  Really depends on your screen.  Practically, it's a little more, but that's where we have the resize circuits set.  Why?  Because that matches up with Imgur's "huge thumbnail".  Which is a max size of 1024 X 1024 pixels.  Moving a thumbnail from here to there - and to you - can easily be a bandwidth savings of 90% or more.  Each way.  So better performance all around. 

Modern digital cameras and phones are shipping with default settings of 6, 10, 12 megapixels - and more.  And we just shoot and post.  Or most of us do - lol.  For example, a 6 megapixel camera, by default, takes pictures 2008 X 3032 px.  Why?  Marketing mainly.  This article - while over a decade old - has a pretty good take on it -  link.

All I'm doing with the URL edit resize - is documented here:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=36842

That's not sustainable in the long run, so we'll probably change it.

BTW, some of you are doing fine.  But if you see me edit your pics on a regular basis - that's a smoking gun.   Already said I would: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/thread-3...#pid643449

I have to admit, you have had to edit a few of my posts (am sorry for that).

The camera I normally use is 8.1 megapixel (its oldish now, but, it still takes very good pictures).

I have changed the setting on it, down to 2 megapixel, after reading this, hope that might help a bit.

It is much easier to use pictures, on here, than when I first tried a few years ago.

Thanks for the work on the site, by the way and the posts keeping us up to speed, on things.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b, with 41 mm nylon shafts + kite flights (fly well, these).

A really simple way to resize pictures on your computer is using the completely free powertoys from Microsoft.
It does not get easier or faster.

Have a look at the easy documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ge-resizer
and download it here if you like it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ys/install
(06-09-2021, 04:48 PM)Cateye Wrote: A really simple way to resize pictures on your computer is using the completely free powertoys from Microsoft.
It does not get easier or faster.

Have a look at the easy documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ge-resizer
and download it here if you like it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ys/install

I am currently on  Linux Mint, I kind of thought the resize thing was almost automated, so, have mostly been just using the drop box and letting it resize the image for me.

Now I know different, I`ll probably start using the site, below, again, if it`s still a problem, after knocking the resolution down a bit, on my camera (down to 2 megapixel).

https://resizeimage.net

That`s what I used to do previously.

2 megapixel usually translates to 1600X1200.  So would be resized.

Best way - resize your image to no more than 1024 along the longest axis.  May take a page from @Cateye's book and setup something that resizes, but provides a link to full size.  Like he does here:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/thread-40124.html

We'll see.  Have to upgrade and get that all working first.  Will let the Forum know via announcement before that happens. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Phil - you mention you're using Linux Mint.  Why not use GIMP - which is installed by default I think.  Select your image, then use Open With - GNU Image Manipulation Program.  Then Image - Scale:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Do it all the time. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(06-09-2021, 08:54 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Phil - you mention you're using Linux Mint.  Why not use GIMP - which is installed by default I think.  Select your image, then use Open With - GNU Image Manipulation Program.  Then Image - Scale:

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/imkiYPc.png]

Do it all the time. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks nixer, yes gimp is installed with the distro, have not really had a proper mess with gimp, but, know its quite good (ill have to figure it out, so, thanks for the help, in where to look).

Some of those art packages can look a bit intimidating  (to me).  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Im normally on win 7, or, dual booting ( because, of retro gaming reasons, diablo 2 and a few others, basically  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  one of my other passions in life) but the hard drive went west the other week, so, am stuck with just linux mint for now.

Its quite a good os in its own right, really, is mint (especially for a free os).

Did a test, resized this screen grab to 800 x 600 for the practice (I used pinta, because, it looked so easy, to do, it has an easy to find resize option, when I had a proper look and doesnt look as scary, as gimp).

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to the forum? New accounts have a few restrictions... nixer55 16 1,219 06-03-2022, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Bh3ndr
  Over size pics nixer55 3 39 11-19-2021, 07:00 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Problems with External Text Editors and Forum Posts nixer55 2 1,092 10-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Photo Forum Signatures x2v 968 242,046 08-05-2021, 08:15 PM
Last Post: The Renegade
  Forum Guide Index nixer55 9 8,588 08-11-2020, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Anita Khubchandani
  Attaching Non-Image Files to a Post nixer55 0 489 07-15-2020, 03:36 PM
  Image Resizing nixer55 19 1,076 05-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Spangle
  How to post pictures on the Dartsnutz forum (PC + Mobile) joeriw96 11 2,686 02-23-2020, 05:01 PM
  Any Mod or Forum whizz understand this? The Jester 10 689 10-13-2019, 07:01 AM
Last Post: The Jester
  Forum Guide - Sideways Pictures with iPad nixer55 11 1,403 01-15-2019, 04:19 AM