Harrows Darts.

Unicorn James Wade Phase 2 20g darts review

Here we have a review on the Maestro Premier James Wade Phase 2 20g model. The darts are also available in 22 and 24 gram and have an RRP of £31.99 but shop around and you will find them cheaper Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. You can read more about them at the Unicorn link here: WADE PHASE 2

The darts are 90% tungsten and come with a luxury midi wallet, medium alloy stems pre-fitted with rubber "O" rings and James Wade signature flights in a very nice yellow colour Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As you can see in the pics and especially the 2 close ups directly above, the barrels have a very square nose and have grip all through the length of the barrel except for the very front which has the Unicorn name and Wade signature etched in very small lettering. The grip on the main part of the barrel is made up of very thin and slightly thicker rings with quite deep grooves in between. Then the rear of the barrel has the LP finish right to the end. I would say the ringed part is a high level of grip and the LP finish a high medium.

Dimensions:

Length:

Its quite a long barrel.

Width:

They are a very thin barrel.

Detailed Dimensions:

Weight:

Weight match of all 3 barrels was very good, just 4 hundreths of a difference:

Weight of the full set up as supplied:

Balance:

With nothing attached to the barrel it was front weighted:

With the supplied set up the balance seemed to move a touch to the rear, not much:

Balance with nylon medium, short and extra short stems and standard flights:

My grip was at the front mostly on the thin ring grip:

Darts landed very flat in the board, probably due to the length:

Conclusion:

These are not the kind of dart I would normally use as for one they are quite light at 20g and also long at near 53mm. I was surprised to find that they flew much better than I expected although they were a bit squirrely as they first left my hand but seemed to quickly stabilise before getting close to the board.

The length of the barrels and the rather large alloy mediums meant I was smacking my face on drawback but when I tried them with some tweenies they were much better to throw.

The only other thing that kind of bothered me was the thinness of the barrels but the rather nice thin ring grip seemed to help to counter that a little, its quite grippy on the main part of the barrel and gives your fingers a good deal of confidence in your grip, I don't think any one should have any slippage issues but it was not so sharp as to be off putting.

The darts felt a little floaty to me and that may be to do with the weight of them but they landed very horizontal in the board.

The barrels will probably suit middle and rear grippers best and rear grippers have the nice LP finish on the rear of the barrel also, but I think depending on how you throw, front grippers may find they are good too especially if you like a long barrelled dart. I don't think they quite suit me overall though, whether its the light weight or the length its hard to say. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 6 (nothing fancy but a classic straight barrel with nice ring grip)
Grip: 8 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip) The thin rings are quite grippy
Weight match: 8.5 (very close)
Quality: 7 (nice quality)
Value: 8 (Good value with nice wallet)
Suitability for me: 6 (a bit light, thin and long but flew better with some tweenie stems)

Best Feature: The grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

great review as always. i used the phase 1 for quite a while a couple of years ago and really liked them.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

(07-10-2014, 02:33 PM)rich345 Wrote: great review as always. i used the phase 1 for quite a while a couple of years ago and really liked them.

Thanks Rich, I actually had some phase 1's a few year ago too, think it was 2008. They were 22g and I had a nightmare with them, I could not seem to get them to fly right at the time. This was when my throw was much more loopy though, I threw about 6 or 7 throws and then put them back in the box and sold them at a loss of £10. It was annoying as they seemed to be flying at weird angles and a lot would not even stick in the board. Never had those same issues this time around but since my shoulder injury my throw has changed a lot and it is not as loopy, so may be they suite a flatter throw better?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I really like this dart. The feel of the grip is nice and I think they look great. But for me they are also too long. Great review again Darren!
+1
Cheers Jay.

If it was not the fact that I drawback so close to my face the length would not be a huge issue and it can be countered with smaller stems although I do think the mediums make the dart more stable after the initial release.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review Darren- if you ever want to get rid of them let me know. Been wanting a set in that weight
(07-10-2014, 02:55 PM)Tormentor Wrote: Great review Darren- if you ever want to get rid of them let me know. Been wanting a set in that weight

Thanks Shawn! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review bud. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
i have a fairly flat throw so maybe that is why they worked for me. the grip is similar in some respects to the grip on my ando ph3. they both soften after a time to be more like a solid 4.
they are both similar to purist grip but they don't have that initial sharp edge that can chip and which i find uncomfortable.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

(07-10-2014, 03:10 PM)Day Wrote: Great review bud. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks mate! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review this will be at my list
Another top notch review... I was actually looking at these... Now not so much. There is something I don't like about how they look.
(07-10-2014, 03:11 PM)rich345 Wrote: i have a fairly flat throw so maybe that is why they worked for me. the grip is similar in some respects to the grip on my ando ph3. they both soften after a time to be more like a solid 4.
they are both similar to purist grip but they don't have that initial sharp edge that can chip and which i find uncomfortable.

Yeah I know what you mean, some grips are quite harshly edged and I find if they dig into my flesh too much it bothers my release, these are grippy but not extreme, I think its why I like the mini shark grip like on the Nutz darts too, because the grip is angle a little there is only the very small edge that only seems to come into play as I push forward on the barrel.

(07-10-2014, 06:17 PM)slot Wrote: Nice review this will be at my list

Cheers!

(07-10-2014, 06:19 PM)Jugger Wrote: Another top notch review... I was actually looking at these... Now not so much. There is something I don't like about how they look.

Thanks mate, what is it you think is putting you off is it the square nose?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

It might be the square nose. I'm not sure really. My brain works in mysterious ways (probably the concussions), there could be no real logic at all in this case.
(07-10-2014, 06:56 PM)Jugger Wrote: It might be the square nose. I'm not sure really. My brain works in mysterious ways (probably the concussions), there could be no real logic at all in this case.

LOL it might be that Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I used to think my preferred dart was a tapered front end but I am starting to may be think a bull nose works better now as I grip near the front and a taper throws the balance further back as there is less tungsten with a taper than the bull nose of course there is variations that throws that theory out the window but I am leaning towards the bull nose lately Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn 2022 Gary Anderson Phase 5 Noir Darts Review Getagrip 13 174 11 hours ago
Last Post: Simoski
  Unicorn 2022 Dimitri Van Den Bergh Noir Darts Review Getagrip 11 177 07-21-2021, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn 2022 Gary Anderson World Champion Phase 5 Darts Review Getagrip 13 241 07-19-2021, 09:33 AM
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 41 26,781 04-25-2021, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Bart
  Bulls Phantom Grip 24g review, Barneveld Unicorn Phase 1 jordanhopper180 13 1,770 03-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Last Post: dexterwolf
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 833 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
  Bit Of Bully Ryan Joyce Phase 2 Darts Review Getagrip 7 491 12-22-2020, 11:01 AM
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 5,272 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 510 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 1,392 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM