Double Top Darts.

Scoring protocol questions
Unbelievably, I still not have managed to wrangle a game with another person. Had a party, it stayed up on the porch. Practically begged to get a couple of people to look at my board, but by then it was late. Took my wife to a local brewery the other day. Knowing they had 4 dart boards, I took a couple sets with me. Nobody was playing, so I threw by myself for a while. Was neat to throw at another board, but disappointing. So I continue to practice alone and play an electronic scorer.

My question is about recording the score. In what situations is there an extra person to chalk? In those situations where the players score themselves, what is the proper order of actions? i.e. do you pull your own darts before chalking? Or, chalk and then pull? Or something else? Sorry for such a newb question, but I really don't know.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Always record score and then pull darts.
There will be an extra person to chalk if you are playing a league or competition game. Also if you are playing in a bar with a couple of mates and your playing winner stays on the then usually next challenger scores.
If there is only 2 of you playing for fun there are no real set rules, you can throw your darts pull them from the board and score it or your mate can score it then he takes his throw and you score his.
Lastly as Cyanide said if playing on WDA do your score then pull your darts.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts - 21g DF01 Daytona Fires with Carbon TI Short Shafts.
Highest Checkout: Trebles Board 157, Doubles Board 100

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I play a good bit of pick up games in bars with whoever is available and willing and we usually post the score first then pull the darts.

I do find a lot of younger players having trouble with the math, especially if they hit a couple of triples on their turn, so I generally tell them their score and let them mark it. Some of these kids can't do basic math without a calculator it seems.

If playing with several people challenging, we generally have the loser of a match score the next match.
(07-06-2014, 01:23 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I play a good bit of pick up games in bars with whoever is available and willing and we usually post the score first then pull the darts.

I do find a lot of younger players having trouble with the math, especially if they hit a couple of triples on their turn, so I generally tell them their score and let them mark it. Some of these kids can't do basic math without a calculator it seems.

If playing with several people challenging, we generally have the loser of a match score the next match.

It's the new math crap they are teaching kids. If you get a chance to look at it do it, it will make you understand why kids can't do even basic math. I know mathematicians that scratch their heads at it, one with kids that has gotten into arguements with the school board about it.
My 5 year old son already knows if he hits cork 17 and a 5, he's scored 72 points. It takes him a few seconds to figure it out, but he's 5. Not even in school yet.

I've seen adults that work for banks that can't figure that out.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Appreciate the replies. I needed to know.

Math has always been my arch nemesis. If I struggle adding my three dart total, you can imagine what it takes for me to figure an out. I have been playing an arachnid electronic scorer. I like to play cricket. I can put it on the hardest level and usually win (unless marking the bulls messes me up). I have been having fun of late leaving one mark open and running up the score. But they must really make the cricket levels easy because of the five levels, playing the 2nd easiest at 301, it outscores me like crazy. And the thing is basically useless as a scorer for 01 games for numerous reasons, so I'll probably start scoring on a dry erase board solo and forget about a stupid program that slams stuff like 3x-11, 2x-9, and 3x-14 in one turn.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

I understand math being a weakness for some. But I gotta tell you, it becomes memorization with darts... even playing cricket. 5 19s is 95 points. And a little tip for 6 marks on a number, (IE: shanghai). Just double the value of the triple.
6 18s is 108 (54 x 2)
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
(07-06-2014, 03:03 PM)uncle poop Wrote:
(07-06-2014, 01:23 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I play a good bit of pick up games in bars with whoever is available and willing and we usually post the score first then pull the darts.

It's the new math crap they are teaching kids. If you get a chance to look at it do it, it will make you understand why kids can't do even basic math. I know mathematicians that scratch their heads at it, one with kids that has gotten into arguements with the school board about it.
As usual Uncle P you're spot on with your comments, a schoolteacher at our club actually runs a darts session after school hours to help his students with simple arithmatic! They're so obsessed with algebra and complicated formulae all using calculators..... crazy.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

people today do not use mental arithmatic or remember phone numbers. if you missed your last bus as a teenager out on the piste couldn't you always remember the phone number for DAD CABS ?. They were expensive though LOL
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Dont know about softip but with mates and a chalkboard we use the "chalk ya own bloody game" rule, pull ya darts then chalk else ya cop one in the back.
Dont really need a chalker unless its a league or tourney, else it cuts into the drinking time and where's the fun in that!
With online play though ya gota enter the score before ya pull your wood, took me a while to get out of the pull your darts first system with online games lol
MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's
I like the idea of chalking/scoring first, then pulling your darts. If the chalker is a little slow, or theres any question of what you scored, darts still in the board put any queries to rest pretty quick.
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

(07-08-2014, 07:15 PM)Beacon_Darts Wrote: .... darts still in the board put any queries to rest pretty quick.

An especially good idea in places with bad light. In places like that, even the thrower can be surprised to discover that he didn't hit what he thought he hit.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(07-08-2014, 07:17 PM)brenthahn Wrote:
(07-08-2014, 07:15 PM)Beacon_Darts Wrote: .... darts still in the board put any queries to rest pretty quick.

An especially good idea in places with bad light.

True - which is a lot of places unfortunately!

Ive seen more than a few times questions over if the score is accurate, what did they hit, etc. where its no question if the darts are still in the board.
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

Bump