Target Darts.

Unicorn Barneveld Phase 2a Hybrid 25g darts review

I bought these recently from Madhouse darts using the 10% members discount so they came to £41.43 delivered, which was nice! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Here is the link: Barneveld Phase 2a

I have had some of Barneys darts in the past but dont remember if I have tried his Unicorn version but after seeing him playing with these in the Premier League and winning I thought I would treat myself to a set as he is my fvourite player Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I'm not sure if there is some differences in the naming of this model but on the box it says Phase 2 and not 2a? so not really sure what is the reason for that as the image on the box is for the Phase 2a?

The darts are only available in Barneys choice of weight which is 25g and they are 90% tungsten with LP finish on the barrels and a gold coated middle section.

They are supplied with standard (although smaller than normal standard) Barney signature flights and medium alloy stems pre-fitted with rubber "O" rings, the barrels are also fitted with finger grip points. They come in Unicorns rather nice luxury midi wallet.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

A close up of the finger grip points:

A close up of the etched signature:

You can see the barrels grip in the above pics, its what Unicorn call LP finish, its pretty much a micro style grip which has a nice feel to it and is grippy enough but not quite as grippy as it looks, I would say it is bordering between medium and high level grip.

Dimensions:

Length:

The barrels were not as long as I thought they looked, which is good for me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Width:

Kind of strange as I thought the opposite from above and thought they looked thinner than they were lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(may be its time for an eye test?)

Detailed dimensions:

Weight:

The barrels were very closely matched at only 2 hundreths of a gram difference, so that was good to see:

Weight of the full setup as supplied:

Balance:

With nothing attached the barrels were very close to the centre, may be just a little front weighted:

With the supplied set up the balance shifted more to the right and perhaps a little past the centre:

Balance with nylon medium, short and extra short stems and standard flights:

I gripped these darts pretty much on the front tapered nose of the barrel but I think they seemed a bit better balanced when gripped on the gold section:

Most of my throws landed fairly flat in the board:

Conclusion:

Well when I did the video review of these and threw the darts for the first time I was really quite disappointed Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Although I hit the odd T20 I just did not feel comfortable with the darts and they seemed to be hard to throw for me, it was strange but although they are only 1 to 2 grams heavier than what I normally use they felt much heavier.

I cant say if it was just me and I possibly had a tired arm or something but the one thing I suspected it may have been is the supplied shafts and flights.

The flights are not quite the same size as the normal standards I use so whether that was affecting the flight of the dart for me I was not 100% certain. It disappointed me a great deal as I was wanting these to be good for me so I could use my favourite players darts and also I like the look of these a lot.

I knew I could not leave it there though without giving them a second chance so I had to try a different set up the next day. I decided to try some tweenie stems and bigger normal standard flights.

Well it was quite a big transformation, I was hitting a lot more T20's and the darts were much more stable in flight. I thought then that may be I was just tired the day before so I put the supplied stems and flights back on and threw 27 darts at the 20 segment. Out of 27 darts only 6 landed in the 20 and none in the T20 lol!

So I put the Tweenies and bigger standards back on and threw 27 darts again, 14 hit the mark with 4 T20's and a few that were close in the T5 and T1, so it was definitely the set up change that helped and I think it was because it was pushing the balance point a bit closer to my grip position and also the bigger flights were stabilising the dart better for me.

I have tried the same setup again today to see if it was a fluke and it is still flying nice, so I am happy with that! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

One other thing though was I found that some of my wrist pain was edging back a little after throwing them, cant be sure why unless its just the slight increase in weight, hopefully its a one off. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Anyway more on the darts; like I said they look great with that gold section in the middle and overall the dart is a very nice shape. They look to be very grippy and when you hold them in your fingers and run your thumb along the grip they do feel grippy but when it came to throwing the darts they were not as grippy as I was expecting them to be but I would still say its around a high medium grip.

The main thing that I never liked is the finger grip points. I was playing on my Blade 4 Dual Core and for some reason when the points were in the board it felt like they were stuck fast and I was a little concerned about pulling them out, it felt like they were catching on something and it was quite an effort pulling them out. I tried the darts on my Unicorn Eclipse HD and it did not happen any where near the same degree, it was only a very slight tightness. So I would say be careful if using the Blade 4, it may be something to do with the Dual Sisal layer?

So after finding the right set up to get these darts working right for me I think they flew very well and it was a much better experience throwing them.

As they are straight barrels they can suit all styles really but dont worry about them been too grippy as they are not as grippy as they look, I do still think the balance felt sweetest around the gold section though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Nice darts! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 8 (Look Good)
Grip: 7 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip) (for the front)
Weight match: 9 (very close)
Quality: 8 (seems nice quality)
Value: 7 (not too bad)
Suitability for me: 8 (worked well after a set up change)

Best Feature: looks

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I have a set and they are on my keep list for sure. Nice review Darren thanks. I rate them a bit higher than you on the grip and overall rating but then again I throw a heavier dart than you on the norm. A heavier dart should help your wrist so am puzzled a bit as a lighter dart requires more arm speed. If ya ever want to part with them give me first refusal mate. I also put storms on mine.
(06-22-2014, 05:03 PM)*Saber* Wrote: I have a set and they are on my keep list for sure. Nice review Darren thanks. I rate them a bit higher than you on the grip and overall rating but then again I throw a heavier dart than you on the norm. A heavier dart should help your wrist so am puzzled a bit as a lighter dart requires more arm speed. If ya ever want to part with them give me first refusal mate. I also put storms on mine.

Thanks Pops!

Yeah I knew they were heavier and I was interested to try a slightly heavier set, I had no real pain while throwing them it was the next day so I cant really explain why, I think it may have something to do with my point of release and the fact my wrists are hypermobile I may be extending it too much and that extra little bit of weight is just playing on it a little, I am not sure. I am keen to try a similar set in a lighter weight though so if you want to buy them that will be ok with me and I will try some normal Barneys in a lighter weight.

The grip is something that I think we all feel differently which is why I have never been too comfortable about applying values as its a very personal and judgemental thing. They felt less grippy when I was holding them in my throw than they did when I was just feeling them statically, if you see my meaning Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Wink 
Really like them:dartsthrow::dartsthrow:
may all the doubles be with you

Nice review mate thinking of gettin a set one day. Really are lovely darts. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Amazing what a gm or two does. Heard that from a druggy once lol. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

+1 Great review Darren! I am in the middle of reviewing barney's gold world champion darts and was wondering if I should do a review of his 2a. Now I'll just save my thoughts for them for my barney comparison thread. You saved me a lot of work Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. The barney darts have a real tendency to lie flat for me or tail down if my release is not perfect.

I found the grip on these to be a lot less than what I was expecting. I would give them a 3.5 - 4 out of 5 but that's not on the gold section the gold is a solid 4.

A Great dart though! Definitely one of my favorites and fantastic review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

Forgot to mention my packaging was also different. It came in a Phase 2 box with no gold stripe but the darts were the 2a
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

Thanks Nathan, yeah seems strange about the packaging?

I think I have an idea how they could be made better for me though, might have to draw up a design I think Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(06-22-2014, 10:14 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Thanks Nathan, yeah seems strange about the packaging?

I think I have an idea how they could be made better for me though, might have to draw up a design I think Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I want the 1st set...talking of 1st sets when's the nutz darts being raffled?
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

Not sure, soon may be.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another great review and the darts look like something I'd certainly be interested in. But, I'm a bit concerned with the points tearing up my B4. I'm still enjoying the "Nutz" darts so can hold off on new ones "for now"
(06-23-2014, 02:31 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Another great review and the darts look like something I'd certainly be interested in. But, I'm a bit concerned with the points tearing up my B4. I'm still enjoying the "Nutz" darts so can hold off on new ones "for now"

Thanks Tom, not sure why but it seems to really dig in the Dual Core?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Maybe some darts worthy of new points? I like the bling bling of the gold mid section

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 619 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Bit Of Bully Ryan Joyce Phase 2 Darts Review Getagrip 7 325 12-22-2020, 11:01 AM
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 4,796 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 364 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 999 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 304 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,034 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Target Raymond van Barneveld RVB 80 23g darts review Getagrip 16 10,216 07-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Last Post: wzywg
  Unicorn Raymond van Barneveld World Champion Phase 1 25g darts review Getagrip 24 12,023 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: The Runner
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 40 26,279 05-14-2020, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Bart