Darts Buddy

Two Types of Motor Strategy for Accurate Dart Throwing
Ed Pleadwell posted a link on Facebook to this interesting article, I thought it worth sharing on here, thanks Ed Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Have a read: https://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad...ne.0088536
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Mind=blown. Does this article include econometrics?
They seem to think that the only thing that matters is the arm and the hand. They don't take into account what the rest of the body does or doesn't do.

And then there's this:

"Because the horizontal hand trajectory in dart throwing is in near perfect alignment with the intended target, timing imprecision hardly influences the horizontal outcome [4], [12]. Therefore, we only focused on the movement and outcome in the vertical plane."

Meaning, I take it, that side-to-side accuracy is a given so it's only necessary to study the up-and-down. I guess these guys don't hit a lot of 5's and 1's.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

It's going to take me awhile to get through this one, very interesting stuff though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I actually enjoy this kind of stuff +1 for ya gripGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

I think timing of release is a crucial factor but I am not sure I can see how you can compensate for a poor timing error with your hand trajectory within a split second? Unless I have got the gist of it wrong but I would have thought that part of the players technique would be the same or very nearly the same each throw if they are a pro?

Not sure why they disregard the horizontal plane and assume its already a given that it is in line as that is where the other elements such as the strength of throw come in to it, unless they are saying the expert is always going to throw in the right position and then its just the backwards and forwards and release that they are concentrating on?

I like that people are doing this sort of study though and it would be nice if they could come out with a clear way of helping us lesser players to improve the parts they are saying are the factors dictating the accuracy.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

See? This is what I have had tumbling about in my head. I don't claim to understand it all, but this expresses some of the ideas I have been struggling with. The idea that there are two opposing strategies in tossing the winged stick.

The idea that these guys don't even consider missing left and right; I too had considered there to be no excuse for missing left or right. The forearm is near 1 foot long. Give it a stable platform, i.e non-moving shoulder, pivot on a vertical axis and misses should only be up and down. Unfortunately, I have discovered that you have to be physically capable of executing this movement without wobble in the motion.

I have one problem with the analysis in this study. The authors refer to the idea of a trajectory that holds on to the dart longer, as a complimentary strategy because it lessons the need for accuracy in timing release. I would argue that an early release is complimentary because it reduces finger and wrist involvement.

I instictively realized that there are two ways to throw. One throw has a feel of pushing the dart. The other has a feeling of pulling. I guess this comes from the location of your release point.

I noticed early, attempting a throw that pushed with my fingers would would often influence the dart in a negative way, imparting spin and erratic movement. I developed a grip that felt natural, but eliminates my fingertips from the dart.

So, I had been trying to release the dart as early as possible, the point being to eliminate finger and wrist involvement. Not to spit the dart with my fingers, but rather for it to accelerate out of my hand cleanly.

And then there is this author/accomplished darter/all around nice guy, who is telling me to hold on to the dart as long as I can. And there is a drill for finger and wrist. NO! I am trying my best to eliminate any finger and wrist involvement. This guy is obviously correct, but watching the pros indicates to me there are lots of different correct ways that do not agree with each other.

After thousands of darts I have discovered that I am physically unable to follow the ideal I had set. I made a change in the way I sight the dart which allows my arm a smoother movement. This has been a big help. Suddenly, without a direct sight line down the dart, I am finding a lot of the advice of said author to be of value. I am focusing harder and examining how I focus on my target, and I am allowing more wrist motion and trying to hold on to the dart longer, i.e. later release point. I still refuse to be a pusher, I AM trying to be a pointer with a good follow through.

Pretty good study, I think they miss a lot of variables. Get ya’ thinkin’ tho’.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Actually there is a third way to throw that was often talked about by a particular member who said he could cure dartitis with his method and could throw a dart so hard he could throw it through a human head, although he would never explain his method but said he was going to write a book about it and then prove everyone wrong he was forever spouting his drivel and got banned from every forum for causing bother, he promised to show a video of him throwing the darts which never materialised. I am quite sure along with every one else that he was talking rubbish as he would never back up what he claimed with a direct response and would just keep posting cryptic messages and basically saying the answer was there. I think he was a fruit loop really, but it made for some interesting discussion at times Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(06-20-2014, 06:35 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Actually there is a third way to throw that was often talked about by a particular member who said he could cure dartitis with his method and could throw a dart so hard he could throw it through a human head, although he would never explain his method but said he was going to write a book about it and then prove everyone wrong he was forever spouting his drivel and got banned from every forum for causing bother, he promised to show a video of him throwing the darts which never materialised. I am quite sure along with every one else that he was talking rubbish as he would never back up what he claimed with a direct response and would just keep posting cryptic messages and basically saying the answer was there. I think he was a fruit loop really, but it made for some interesting discussion at times Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xnxrkpChRg

I think the guy you refer to must be this guy. I found this a few months ago when I was searching the web for advice. I tried his method. Yes, a dart like a cat given enough time will right itself. But that dude looks like he is throwing from 12 feet. My experience is that even the slightest wobble can swing your point out of the correct bed. I don't think introducing wobble as a technique will ultimately score consistently. I must admit that I was heavily influenced by his notion of eliminating finger flex. He seems to think that everyone throws with that push motion. His graphical representation of that throw explains very well what I am trying to avoid as well.

I purposely try not to portray any of my notions as fact. Seems like a wise thing to do when you can't back up your ideas.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Ah no thats not him, I posted thay guy on here or the old site, so make that 4 ways to throw lol. My Dad would throw the darts a bit like him though.

This other guy is from the U.K. but lives in South Africa and was called Bo Jangles (his username) I was quite prepared to believe him but he never seemed to back his claim up and got a bit troublesome when other members started to question him for not doing so.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Don't get stuck on missing left/right.   This is only about release timing, not line.

Not sure how one would create a trajectory that makes the result in the board a little less dependent on release timing though... is that a push? Is the other way a throw?

If does not look like they measured the contribution to the error by vertical movements of the elbow.  Can anyone see where they may have looked at something other than the shape of the trajectory?  I've only read it through once, and that without coffee....
Put dart int’ole

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dart recommendation for multiple grip types? DagrDart 13 1,019 01-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Last Post: LKH9
  Darts Throwing comparing - Japanese Soft style throwing vs Steel Style throwing jayouloun 41 12,216 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  Vid, me dart throwing style & adjustments since previous advice / commentary CalixNL 9 868 11-29-2018, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Two Types of Dart Player davidsproull 15 2,770 04-23-2018, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Baloos
  The dart that feels good when throwing. *Saber* 26 4,416 06-21-2017, 12:10 AM
Last Post: Gazzabnorthern