Target Darts.

Looking after your Spider?
Hi All,

Q: What's the best method for maintaining the spider on your Dartboard?

A: This is one way that I find the easiest.

This tool is perfect for the job try and get one if you can. Great dart point shaper / roughening tool too as its not that agressive.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Here's a before and after shot,

All boards need some looking after, when you hit the edges you cause a little 'flat' on the wire. In high wear areas this will get worse and rapidly the 'flat' area becomes bigger and is even more prone to wear.
Before you know it you'll get bounce outs, so as a good tip, when you rotate the board, take some time to touch up the spider too.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Good idea Dorian, to be honest I have never bothered to maintain the spider aside from basic turning of the board.

Not sure if it is just down to the board type but looking at my Target Pro Vision the wires are in good condition for the use I have had of it.

Not sure we have that type of tool in the UK but it looks similar to an emery board that the girls use on their nails - may give it a try later as you can see the difference in your pics, cheers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I've never thought about maintaining the spider either, but couldn't you use one of the cheap flat sharpening stones - I got loads of them free with DC orders lol. These are the ones I mean

(06-08-2014, 09:00 AM)REBEL Wrote: Good idea Dorian, to be honest I have never bothered to maintain the spider aside from basic turning of the board.

Not sure if it is just down to the board type but looking at my Target Pro Vision the wires are in good condition for the use I have had of it.

Not sure we have that type of tool in the UK but it looks similar to an emery board that the girls use on their nails - may give it a try later as you can see the difference in your pics, cheers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guess what? I started using them nail things too ...that is until 'she who must be obeyed' caught me at it.
This lapping tool should be available at a good tool shop, its rigid, quite thin and on the reverse side is a very smooth nylon/plastic material so it wont damage the sisal etc which would be a problem with a thick stone mc1958.
As mentioned earlier, this medium grade version is not too agressive and will last forever. (even though thats a really, really long time).

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

Ha Ha thought you had a pet tarantula when I saw the title Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Great idea never thought it before.
Darts - 21g DF01 Daytona Fires with Carbon TI Short Shafts.
Highest Checkout: Trebles Board 157, Doubles Board 100

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I use this Wedge for maintain my spider and sisal.
when the spider or sisal comes lose i hammer it down Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Broken link removed
may all the doubles be with you

Its not something I ever thought about either but now you have pointed it out I can see the benefit of taking some time to give it a little upkeep. Have a +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(06-08-2014, 10:11 AM)Fred Raket Wrote: I use this Wedge for maintain my spider and sisal.
when the spider or sisal comes lose i hammer it down Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Broken link removed

Hilarious....lol!

By the way the spider wire cannot come out on a Gladiator 2 boards it's firmly attached through to the back of the board.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(06-08-2014, 10:16 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Its not something I ever thought about either but now you have pointed it out I can see the benefit of taking some time to give it a little upkeep. Have a +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks for that...really appreciated.

Best regards,
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

For the Triple i have a smaller massive nylon wedge i can't find now.

Broken links removed
may all the doubles be with you

(06-08-2014, 08:36 AM)Dorian Wrote: This tool is perfect for the job try and get one if you can. Great dart point shaper / roughening tool too as its not that agressive.

Are you saying to grind the spider down the sides or over the top?
Hi Cedar,

Not really, with this tool you can reshape the apex of the wire by following the angle of the edge. The ultra-fine diamond surface of the tool perfectly removes these very small burrs to retain this original profile. (see the 'spoke' between 11 & 14)
As you may see in one of the pictures the end is tapered too so that you can get into very tight areas. In fact you'd be forgiven if you thought it was purpose made for the job, done regularlly it keeps the wires looking like new.

Thanks for your question.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

Great stuff +1 bud Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

Forgot what kind of board you were working on there. I probably don't have a very good point of reference as I've never had a "thin" wire board before. Got a B4 dual core heading my way, but at the moment it's stuck in Little Rock, Arkansas due to inclement weather. So I only have experience with "round wire". Should've noticed the lack of staples (I'll turn in my Sherlock Holmes decoder ring).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shot 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Bandit Dartboard with gold plated spider Getagrip 8 604 07-18-2020, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Spider Ending On Doubles Dave_79 6 327 05-24-2020, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Dave_79
  Spider wire raising out of board. Lonelybull 15 917 12-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Winmau diamond plus - spider on treble and double? Keptman 9 579 06-06-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: blink180