Which dart weight to choose? Heavy or light?
I guess that it depends if the pivot (shoulder) moves by 3mm or the release point moves by 3mm.
For instance, if you physically move everything (including the pivot point) 3mm to the right then the location the target hits would be moved 3mm.
However, if you rotate, from the pivot point, so that only the release point moves then that is where the discrepancy comes in.
This mostly applies to left / right movement.

In the vertical axis, things are much more complex because there is the added effect of the parabola.
Viz: lift yourself up by 3mm by standing on tip toe or bending knees vs keeping your feet firmly planted and rotating your arm up or down.
Also, throwing faster or slower changes the parabola of the curve to the target.

Thinking about it, my throw is quite "flat" which probably explains why dart weight has so little difference to my throw.
If your throw is slower then your darts will have more of a parabola to the board and barrel weight probably starts to play a more significant role.
This is one of the many reasons why no-one else can tell you what is right for you!

Regarding the quest as to whether to change the throw to match the dart or vice versa, it is not quite as simple as just doing the former.
In my opinion, the dart, once you have your preferred set up, should be a fixed entity.
However, your throw constantly changes due to a number of factors.
For instance, did you do some heavy lifting yesterday and add a tiny bit of muscle? Your throw might change slightly.
Is one of your ears slightly blocked thus changing your perception of balance? Your throw might change slightly.
Are your eyes slightly more tired or relaxed than last time you played? Are you more tired than usual? the list goes on.

Our bodies are changing in imperceptible ways all the time and over time you learn to deal with these changes unconsciously.
The more you practice, the better and faster these unconscious corrections occur.
It is, of course, okay to change the dart but I really think that you need to have some basis for what you are changing and why you are changing it.
An example might be, I am changing to a longer stem because my darts are wobbling.
Experimentation is key to understanding what to change and why you are changing it.
Disclaimer: You might notice that I am quite opinionated.
Please take what I write and think about it and do not just assume that it is true.
My truth might not be your truth and my truth might be wrong anyway!
Heavy or light? You Nutz can weigh in on this.
[Image: bIcnxOK.png]
I throw 22 most of the time, but when darts come in the 21g ,23g,... I don't know what to do. Do i take the 21 or the 23?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A500FU met Tapatalk
(10-29-2017, 07:47 AM)Stephane Desart Wrote: I throw 22 most of the time, but when darts come in the 21g ,23g,... I don't know what to do. Do i take the 21 or the 23?

I guess the 21g -

You could put a Ball bearing inside, then pack it down with piece of cotton wool inside the barrel to get it up to 22g then put on the shaft - should be easy to extract with a pin later.
You could also self paint the grooves to add some weight - A careful application of nail varnish or Acrylic paint should add some weight - both can be removed with acetone if the experiment fails.

If you pick 23g then you are limited to stripping any paint the dart comes with... It is much tougher to add lightness.

But you should find that 23g feels fine.
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  L-Shaft Locked Slim 300 Emerald :: Metal Champagne Ring Aqua :: - L-Flight Dimple Solid Emerald  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
(10-29-2017, 07:47 AM)Stephane Desart Wrote: I throw 22 most of the time, but when darts come in the 21g ,23g,... I don't know what to do. Do i take the 21 or the 23?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A500FU met Tapatalk

I started off in the Dart world with Soft tip and the limit on the electronic boards back then was 18g, so when I went to Steel tip I just wanted a little more weight and since most of Steel tips back then that I like were 22g, I just went with that weight. If the style of Dart that I liked didn't come in 22g, I decide that a gram heavier wouldn't hurt even if I had to move back from the throwing line about two inches. This worked out for me, but my go to weight is still 22g.
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01
I prefer the 22 gram range - just seems to be right for me.
[Image: bIcnxOK.png]
It is an interesting subject, the heavier the dart then the less effort needed to propel the dart to the board so that may mean for many more accuracy. The greatest player that the dart world has so far ever seen "Phil Taylor" played his best ever darts with a Unicorn 26 Gram dart.

Mr Taylor said as he got older that he needed the extra weight to get the dart to the exact area on the board that he wanted and he was already a multiple world champion before he changed his darts shape and weight and flights and it worked for him, so why not for others?
I am throwing a 24G One 80 night hunter sting dart at the moment with very tiny flights and hitting plenty 180s but they do not do heavier than 24G in that style 

I have never thrown a heavier dart than 24g,  I can easily throw 140 KG around while I am  weight training so I am thinking why not try a 28G dart? it is nothing to me, maybe I will have even more control over it as I will have to push it less to get the dart to the board and I can concentrate on my technique and release and let the dart do the work.
I am going to try it and when I have I will update my post. I just have to source the correct shape 28g darts, lol
(08-03-2019, 07:56 PM)spencer Wrote: It is an interesting subject, the heavier the dart then the less effort needed to propel the dart to the board so that may mean for many more accuracy. The greatest player that the dart world has so far ever seen "Phil Taylor" played his best ever darts with a Unicorn 26 Gram dart.

Mr Taylor said as he got older that he needed the extra weight to get the dart to the exact area on the board that he wanted and he was already a multiple world champion before he changed his darts shape and weight and flights and it worked for him, so why not for others?
I am throwing a 24G One 80 night hunter sting dart at the moment with very tiny flights and hitting plenty 180s but they do not do heavier than 24G in that style 

I have never thrown a heavier dart than 24g,  I can easily throw 140 KG around while I am  weight training so I am thinking why not try a 28G dart? it is nothing to me, maybe I will have even more control over it as I will have to push it less to get the dart to the board and I can concentrate on my technique and release and let the dart do the work.
I am going to try it and when I have I will update my post. I just have to source the correct shape 28g darts, lol

I do heavy workouts on my triceps to specifically improve my strength and stamina to handle heavier darts. Sports need physical training!

23-24g is very suitable for me too! I'm reluctant to use 23g on softip board though because the tips will go into the holes too deep and I have trouble pulling them out.
Fav Dart    : Harrows Nemesis 20g & Harrows RAZR Bulbous 20g
Shaft         : Harrows
Flight         : Harrows 
Points        : Cosmo Fit Point + , CHEAP Harrows Conversion Points
Board        : Harrows Pro Matchplay
Electronic  : VSPhoenix!!
OCD Darter!! Harrows Fanboy  Dodgy
(08-04-2019, 11:59 PM)LKH9 Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 07:56 PM)spencer Wrote: It is an interesting subject, the heavier the dart then the less effort needed to propel the dart to the board so that may mean for many more accuracy. The greatest player that the dart world has so far ever seen "Phil Taylor" played his best ever darts with a Unicorn 26 Gram dart.

I do heavy workouts on my triceps to specifically improve my strength and stamina to handle heavier darts. Sports need physical training!

23-24g is very suitable for me too! I'm reluctant to use 23g on softip board though because the tips will go into the holes too deep and I have trouble pulling them out.
I have sourced some 28.3 gram steel tip darts and I have ordered them, it will be interesting to try them against my 24G steel tips, when they arrive. 
My soft tip darts are 20 gram barrels so 22gram with the flight and Stems, I do not really want to go over this either as I throw them pretty hard and do not want to risk breaking the board. lol
(08-05-2019, 01:09 PM)spencer Wrote: I have sourced some 28.3 gram steel tip darts and I have ordered them, it will be interesting to try them against my 24G steel tips, when they arrive. 
My soft tip darts are 20 gram barrels so 22gram with the flight and Stems, I do not really want to go over this either as I throw them pretty hard and do not want to risk breaking the board. lol

28g....NICE! My only concern of heavy weight steeltips is if they do bounceout, the floor will have deep holes and chippings all over, and broken points.. Confused 
The sound of impact on the board will be extremely cool! Like torpedoes hitting the board! My 23g are loud enough.

My softips are 18g barrel weight, screw in 4g brass stems and they become rear-weighted heavy darts! Angel
Fav Dart    : Harrows Nemesis 20g & Harrows RAZR Bulbous 20g
Shaft         : Harrows
Flight         : Harrows 
Points        : Cosmo Fit Point + , CHEAP Harrows Conversion Points
Board        : Harrows Pro Matchplay
Electronic  : VSPhoenix!!
OCD Darter!! Harrows Fanboy  Dodgy
(05-23-2014, 11:28 PM)guest2 Wrote: I'm using lighter darts now so as I can easily switch and adjust to my soft darts. As I would like to come to a point that I can use only one set of darts for both type of dart games. I have heard some Pros active in soft darts are doing the same too .

This is exactly what I'm doing. In fact, I just ordered a set of 20g darts from Dart Corner. I also Ordered a 20g set of soft tip. Ultimately I would like to use a conversion reflex point on the soft tip dart and use the same dart for both steel and soft.
Fav Dart: Dave Baggish 21g & Harrows Noctis 21g 
Shaft: Harrows
Flight: Standard/Any Brand 
Board: Winmau Blade5
Electronic: Gran Board 3S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts suddenly feel too heavy MarkC 10 378 07-15-2020, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Cooper84
  Light weight darts PecosJoe 19 912 08-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Last Post: The Fox
  Heavy Darts PecosJoe 11 648 08-28-2019, 10:55 PM
Last Post: The Fox
  Heavy Weight [emoji2484] james_fenton 7 312 07-27-2019, 02:00 PM
Last Post: LKH9
  Physics question - Weight of dart effects? JannerinCardiff 17 1,765 06-04-2019, 12:41 PM
Last Post: T4cTiCs
  Dart Weight - How Important Is It Zazl 7 1,657 03-28-2019, 05:22 AM
Last Post: ROKGoose
  Who has changed weight drastically. Dart weight that is. cubdog 16 1,293 01-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Red'75™
  Why start Heavy 45/26master 8 882 11-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  What pro dart player would you choose to have a 1 hour dart lesson with? kevmode 62 9,946 03-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Last Post: caper4g
Star Yeah Buddy, Light Weight Fred-180 11 1,818 03-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Fred-180