Unicorn

Gary Plummer: The Man Behind Phil Taylors Dart Reinvention
Sky Sports managed to get an interview with Garry Plummer and im sharing it with the nutz!

If you've watched Premier League Darts over the last 15 weeks then you'll probably have noticed Phil Taylor pointing towards the crowd and waving at somebody called Garry.

In almost every post-match interview, The Power has dedicated his success to Garry Plummer, the man (or to use Phil's words the "genius"), who has designed the revolutionary new darts that he hopes will see him reclaim his world title at the end of the year.

Speaking to us in Brighton, after he qualified for the Play-Offs of this year's Premier League Darts, Taylor explained that the relationship between himself and the Managing Director of Target Darts is about much more than simply business.

He told skysports.com: "In your career you've got to keep pushing forward and trying different things and Target are very innovative. They are one of those up-and-coming companies and they want to make the company the best in the world.

"They are doing it by inventing different things and pushing forwards - and if you ask them for anything then straight away they do it for you.

"Garry has invented something that is making me a better player. He is there supporting me and is with me everywhere I go. He's the heart and soul behind me; he's not just my sponsor, he's like my best supporter."

When we tracked down Plummer at Target Darts' HQ in Harlow, the adulation of the 16-time World Champion had not gone unnoticed.

"[Sky Sports presenter] Dave Clark makes me laugh because he texts me saying 'I want to thank Garry, Garry, Garry, Garry and Garry.'

"The other week he sent me one saying 'Have you upset Phil? He never thanked you this week...'"

Plummer's company, Target Darts, caused shockwaves in the sport earlier this season when they confirmed the deal to sponsor Taylor on a seven-figure five-year contract.

It ended Taylor's long-standing relationship with Unicorn and realised a life-long dream for Plummer who has been working for Target since the age of 14 and has seen them grow from a small outfit to one that makes 20,000 sets of darts a week for sale around the world and sponsors big names including PDC stars Adrian Lewis and Dave Chisnall plus BDO World Champion Stephen Bunting.

But it was the signing of the game's greatest ever player that has taken them to a whole new level. Taylor has worked closely with Plummer and his team with around 45 people being involved in the design and manufacture of the darts Taylor has been using this season.

The factory is usually off limits to the public, but skysports.com was granted a rare tour around their impressive Harlow factory to see machines that can adjust the weight, balance, length and diameter of darts to almost impossible details.

The most impressive was probably the shadowgraph, which resembles a submarine telescope, and allows them to precisely replicate a dart to a player's precise specifications and measure depths of grooves on a dart to within 0.1mm.

And Plummer says that the link-up with the notoriously perfectionist Taylor has worked well due to their shared ideology.

"It's all about the attention to detail with him," he said.

"Whereas someone else won't worry about a diameter or an extra groove or a little bit of grip, he really gets down to the detail.

"It's not just in his head. It's what he believes and it really makes a difference to his game."

Commercially, the impact was immediate with Target's website and the site of one of the major darts retailers crashing on the day Taylor's new darts went on sale. Shops were selling a month's worth of stock in two days when the darts were launched in February.

But The Power did not enjoy such a good start with his new tools. He lost his opening Premier League match 7-0 to Michael van Gerwen and lost two of his next three games in the competition before being dumped out of the UK Open by TV debutant Aden Kirk.

However, Plummer said that they always expected teething problems as Taylor adjusted to his new arrows, especially after taking some time away from darts in January to focus on losing weight in Portugal.

"He said to me something along the lines of 'I might lose the first couple and this might take a couple of months'.

"His lack of confidence was the dart because it was new. He made fine changes and it was all about detail; he changed his shaft in the end because he likes a bit more weight on the back - but I'm talking such a fine detail.

"But when you watch his game it's all about fine detail, it's about getting inside that wire. When he wires something he doesn't think 'I threw that well, it should have gone in' - it's 'why didn't that go in? I don't want to hit that wire again'.

"That's his mindset and he'll make a change to better that."

Plummer recalls texting The Power the morning after his defeat to Van Gerwen and reassuring him that he knew exactly what changes he needed to make, resulting in the addition of a "nano grip" towards the back of the dart.

The changes appeared to do the trick. Taylor called him excitedly to report that he had hit ten 180's in half-an-hour on his practice board - and he hit two nine-darters at a Tour event in Wigan.

In Premier League terms, he moved from a perilous position near the bottom of the table to an eventual third-placed finish - and will go into Thursday night's Play-Offs at the O2 Arena with a strong chance of recapturing the trophy.

And if he picks up yet another major in London then you can guess who he'll be pointing at and thanking in his interview with Dave Clark afterwards!

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I wish he would sort out the Target website instead of messing about giving interviews to Sky lol
their website is certainly much worse than it was before. Unicorn's website is way more useful.

I do love Target darts, flights and shafts though. they have some real quality items. I wonder if the production Taylor darts will get the nano grip at the back any time soon.
Darts: 20g Peter Wright Euro 11 Elements 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(05-21-2014, 12:37 PM)hamo Wrote: Sky Sports managed to get an interview with Garry Plummer and im sharing it with the nutz!

If you've watched Premier League Darts over the last 15 weeks then you'll probably have noticed Phil Taylor pointing towards the crowd and waving at somebody called Garry.

In almost every post-match interview, The Power has dedicated his success to Garry Plummer, the man (or to use Phil's words the "genius"), who has designed the revolutionary new darts that he hopes will see him reclaim his world title at the end of the year.

Speaking to us in Brighton, after he qualified for the Play-Offs of this year's Premier League Darts, Taylor explained that the relationship between himself and the Managing Director of Target Darts is about much more than simply business.

He told skysports.com: "In your career you've got to keep pushing forward and trying different things and Target are very innovative. They are one of those up-and-coming companies and they want to make the company the best in the world.

"They are doing it by inventing different things and pushing forwards - and if you ask them for anything then straight away they do it for you.

"Garry has invented something that is making me a better player. He is there supporting me and is with me everywhere I go. He's the heart and soul behind me; he's not just my sponsor, he's like my best supporter."

When we tracked down Plummer at Target Darts' HQ in Harlow, the adulation of the 16-time World Champion had not gone unnoticed.

"[Sky Sports presenter] Dave Clark makes me laugh because he texts me saying 'I want to thank Garry, Garry, Garry, Garry and Garry.'

"The other week he sent me one saying 'Have you upset Phil? He never thanked you this week...'"

Plummer's company, Target Darts, caused shockwaves in the sport earlier this season when they confirmed the deal to sponsor Taylor on a seven-figure five-year contract.

It ended Taylor's long-standing relationship with Unicorn and realised a life-long dream for Plummer who has been working for Target since the age of 14 and has seen them grow from a small outfit to one that makes 20,000 sets of darts a week for sale around the world and sponsors big names including PDC stars Adrian Lewis and Dave Chisnall plus BDO World Champion Stephen Bunting.

But it was the signing of the game's greatest ever player that has taken them to a whole new level. Taylor has worked closely with Plummer and his team with around 45 people being involved in the design and manufacture of the darts Taylor has been using this season.

The factory is usually off limits to the public, but skysports.com was granted a rare tour around their impressive Harlow factory to see machines that can adjust the weight, balance, length and diameter of darts to almost impossible details.

The most impressive was probably the shadowgraph, which resembles a submarine telescope, and allows them to precisely replicate a dart to a player's precise specifications and measure depths of grooves on a dart to within 0.1mm.

And Plummer says that the link-up with the notoriously perfectionist Taylor has worked well due to their shared ideology.

"It's all about the attention to detail with him," he said.

"Whereas someone else won't worry about a diameter or an extra groove or a little bit of grip, he really gets down to the detail.

"It's not just in his head. It's what he believes and it really makes a difference to his game."

Commercially, the impact was immediate with Target's website and the site of one of the major darts retailers crashing on the day Taylor's new darts went on sale. Shops were selling a month's worth of stock in two days when the darts were launched in February.

But The Power did not enjoy such a good start with his new tools. He lost his opening Premier League match 7-0 to Michael van Gerwen and lost two of his next three games in the competition before being dumped out of the UK Open by TV debutant Aden Kirk.

However, Plummer said that they always expected teething problems as Taylor adjusted to his new arrows, especially after taking some time away from darts in January to focus on losing weight in Portugal.

"He said to me something along the lines of 'I might lose the first couple and this might take a couple of months'.

"His lack of confidence was the dart because it was new. He made fine changes and it was all about detail; he changed his shaft in the end because he likes a bit more weight on the back - but I'm talking such a fine detail.

"But when you watch his game it's all about fine detail, it's about getting inside that wire. When he wires something he doesn't think 'I threw that well, it should have gone in' - it's 'why didn't that go in? I don't want to hit that wire again'.

"That's his mindset and he'll make a change to better that."

Plummer recalls texting The Power the morning after his defeat to Van Gerwen and reassuring him that he knew exactly what changes he needed to make, resulting in the addition of a "nano grip" towards the back of the dart.

The changes appeared to do the trick. Taylor called him excitedly to report that he had hit ten 180's in half-an-hour on his practice board - and he hit two nine-darters at a Tour event in Wigan.

In Premier League terms, he moved from a perilous position near the bottom of the table to an eventual third-placed finish - and will go into Thursday night's Play-Offs at the O2 Arena with a strong chance of recapturing the trophy.

And if he picks up yet another major in London then you can guess who he'll be pointing at and thanking in his interview with Dave Clark afterwards!

Thanks very much Hamo you are a great correspondent, I really enjoy reading your posts thank you on behalf, I'm sure, of a hell of a lot of us.

Regards
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

could not agree more
Darts: 20g Peter Wright Euro 11 Elements 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

(05-21-2014, 12:47 PM)mc1958 Wrote: I wish he would sort out the Target website instead of messing about giving interviews to Sky lol

Yep, and answer e-mails Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
may all the doubles be with you

So they have added a nano grip to the 9fives eh, so you can by Target Taylor darts but not the same as what Taylor is using, typical really.

That's one thing I think Taylor is good at more than the others, the ability to know what little changes to try and if they work or not, he is so good at scraping out very small refinements in his game which is what sets him above the others I think.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(05-21-2014, 05:25 PM)paddydub Wrote: Great read Hamo, thanks..
Nano grip, if it was a nano, nano grip, i woulda said he watches to much mork and mindy.....

We need a "get your coat" gif.

I actually laughed, showing my age I guess.
I'll even let ye have a Cat......Just as long as it barks.
LOL I used to love Mork and Mindy Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I wonder when we'll be able to buy taylor's new flights Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
He's been using them for months now..
(05-21-2014, 05:25 PM)paddydub Wrote: Great read Hamo, thanks..
Nano grip, if it was a nano, nano grip, i woulda said he watches to much mork and mindy.....
Well in actual fact it is a nano nano grip as it seems to have echoed the phase 5 LP dart.

Thanks for the post spongy.
MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's
(05-21-2014, 04:31 PM)Getagrip Wrote: So they have added a nano grip to the 9fives eh, so you can by Target Taylor darts but not the same as what Taylor is using, typical really.

That's one thing I think Taylor is good at more than the others, the ability to know what little changes to try and if they work or not, he is so good at scraping out very small refinements in his game which is what sets him above the others I think.

Well to me it just looks like they are starting the Target 'phases' just like Unicorn did.

I'm not too sure that the nano grip would be much of a big deal for the average Joe, as Taylor's grip kind of demands something there. I do find it really bizarre that the main section of grip is positioned where it is on the 9fives and phase 5s as he doesn't tend to grip there. If you look at the soft tip version that Target released, that has the grip pattern that I thought would have suited him more really.
Yeah I think they should have addressed that from the start, now they can bring out another Phase though.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

If they do bring out a set with the nano grip I'd be temped to buy a set as my grip would need that added section

Target do seem to be comparatively slow in comparison to other companies in bringing out newer versions of their pros darts
Not a fan of target darts. It says something when"

Lewis: still uses old Unicorns
O'Shea: uses his old Harrow Bristows
Taylor: had to have new darts revert back to very much like Phase 5
Deller: uses a completely different dart to his sig model

I think sometimes you can over think the plumbing. Lowe, Bristow and others scored big without all this faff and on far inferior boards.

Honestly im expecting some laser guided, on board computing, self aware dart next and it still wont be any better than an old 1980 Durro
Darts: 25g phase 1 Barney copy (Darts Clearance) 
Stems: DC short
Flights: std 75mc
Board: Winmau Blade 5. 

Best 100 at 20 score: 115 (17/10/18)
Current ave: 95

Please follow my blog:

Blog: https://mydartinglife.blogspot.com

Twitter: lukestacey@mydartinglife

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LF taylors phase 5 robi10 7 456 12-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Last Post: robi10
  PHIL TAYLOR DART PUNDIT ? ChrisTheFish 25 2,690 03-02-2018, 12:22 AM
Last Post: F4tboy
  Looking like another set of Taylors (final edition?) goonas 32 4,197 12-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Last Post: boku180