Unicorn

Losing my grip
Hi All,

Few questions first please:

How often do you replace darts through wear / loss of grip?

Has anyone tried to re - machine say the LP grip on a dart?

I like the bullet barrel and prefer to have a dart with good grip -at the back and no longer than say 42mm...any suggestions?

How do you rate the grip aids?

My problem is that I wear the grip off my darts very quickly eg phase 5 LP grip bought 3-4 weeks ago now it's quite smooth. My Andy Hamiltons went the same way but I did have them for a few months before losing the grip through wear.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

all grips wear unfortunately, the fine micro style grip probably wears the quickest, but I am finding the mini shark grip has a similar feel but is wearing a lot better, may be you should try a dart with that style of grip: https://www.dartsnutz.net/showthread.php?tid=5523
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Dorian
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

4-6 months depending on how well your grouping is. Jamie Lewis says he switches about every 90 days.
I also think the rosin is pretty good if you need to enhance your grip, wax never felt like it done anything when I tried it.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I had a set of Bottelsen Hammerhead Gorilla Grip darts many years ago and they were probably at the time the best grip on the market. Sadly, after about 6 months, they were nowhere near what they were new. I don't think there are too many sets that keep their grip for a long time but if there are, they would be highly sought after.
I agree, a few months will see a micro or knurled grip wear down to the point of needing a new set - I went through 4 sets of Triple B ghost grips in about 12 months leading me to try different, longer lasting darts.

As for applying extra grip, I think with the price of darts its still cheaper to replace the darts rather than buying something to rework the grip - after all and tools for re-grooving would themselves wear down over time and need replacing too.

I also agree that Rosin is the best product on the market for grip problems.

The new style Whitlocks are about 43mm but have very nice grip at the rear of the barrel which will last a good while due to the shape of the dart, meaning any incoming collisions would be deflected over the grip avoiding any real damage IMO:

https://www.puredarts.co.uk/simon-whitlo...22gms.html
Thank you all for your input, I do group my darts pretty well and I suppose it all normal wear and tear etc. I was a just a bit surprised to find an LP grip almost totally go in under a month though.
I agree about waxes too they don't feel right at all I've tried the Whitlock powder but that's hit and miss I'm going to try simple chalk next.

Thanks again guys.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

If Jimbo seen this post he would say "chew on a mintie", and I concur, this is one of the best grip replacements around.

The shop brought dart wax is useless, I made my own with surfboard wax and candle wax. You get different types of surf wax, soft, medium, hard. As an experiment I purchased the soft and mixed a 75% surf - 25% candle which worked good, Probably just shoulda brought the hard or medium straight out. But ended up using just 100% soft surf wax, you just need to touch it for grip, rather than sit there and rub furiously, you can also lightly roll the barrel over it as well, not hard enough to fill grooves, just a light roll. It works for both dry and sweaty hands

Dont leave the stuff in the console of your car on a hot day. BAD BAD BAD.

I would still suggest the minties though.
MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's
As far as a similar dart goes Dorian, have you had a look at the Red Dragon Banshee 3 23g? I have a set but don't throw them often as they're too small for me, so can't comment on how much they wear!
https://www.reddragondarts.com/det/6208/...3-23-gram/
Or you can go old school. Rings. I've got a couple of very old ringed sets that have held up just fine.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(05-04-2014, 01:46 AM)Gary60 Wrote: As far as a similar dart goes Dorian, have you had a look at the Red Dragon Banshee 3 23g? I have a set but don't throw them often as they're too small for me, so can't comment on how much they wear!
https://www.reddragondarts.com/det/6208/...3-23-gram/

Thanks for more ideas gent's I've never seen the Banshee before and it seems to tick most of the boxes except that their rear-weighted which is a problem as I use heavy brass stems but I will write to them for more details.
Thanks also to G who knows I might get a 'minty moment' too (advertising logo here in Aus').
So thanks again to all .....as you know if they slip out they become ufo's so it's very important to me that I solve it other than buy darts every 6 weeks.

Much appreciated...

Dorian
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

Seem to have solved it....went to sports shop and asked for the rosin stuff weight lifters use, the pretty young girl said "are you using very heavy weights as we have it in solid blocks or powder?"
But when I said about 26 gm's she barely contained her laugh and sort of choked a bit....anyway it works ...even if I never go back in that shop!
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(05-04-2014, 06:00 AM)Dorian Wrote: Seem to have solved it....went to sports shop and asked for the rosin stuff weight lifters use, the pretty young girl said "are you using very heavy weights as we have it in solid blocks or powder?"
But when I said about 26 gm's she barely contained her laugh and sort of choked a bit....anyway it works ...even if I never go back in that shop!

Like this and worked?

https://www.puredarts.co.uk/dart-stones-...-grip.html
(05-04-2014, 06:00 AM)Dorian Wrote: Seem to have solved it....went to sports shop and asked for the rosin stuff weight lifters use, the pretty young girl said "are you using very heavy weights as we have it in solid blocks or powder?"

LOL! 26g! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is darts losing its traditional roots? - Piece on London darting pubs Dartsweb 11 1,387 12-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Best excuse you made or heard for losing The Rookie 57 11,485 09-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Last Post: DAVEISTHENAME
  Are Pdc Staff losing It Little al 6 1,181 11-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Cosmo
  Another London pub losing the darts :-( mc1958 35 31,618 09-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: degrubs
  Losing darts...but not your own! sjmattitude1982 2 637 05-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Tez Tickle