Target Darts.

Darts not landing in straight
Okay anyone who has played me on WDA will know I have a serious problem with my darts landing in the board at bad angles, resulting in me blocking the bed.

I have done a lot of trial and error, different grips, barrels, stems, flights and now I think I've solved the issue. I've switched back to a 1 finger/thumb front grip and although I haven't quite got the control I have with 2 fingers/thumb, my darts are now landing in straight. My 2nd finger must've been releasing a split second after my other finger/thumb altering my flight path causing the dart to change angle in the air.

My advice for anyone struggling with how their darts are landing, don't give up, just try different things, longer/shorter stems, different barrels if you have them, try holding darts at front/back, see what a difference it makes with your throw.

Big thanks to Milky by the way who got me experimenting the other week with his advice and now I've found something that suits me and my throw.
Highest Checkout - 156 
180's - 17
Best 501 - 15 darts
Hit my first 180 - 27/1/14

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
You need gyroscopic assistance, its all the rage Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think your right, if the dart is released at weird angles then it will only correct so much with the stem and flight combo, so you have to minimize the effort that stems and flights have to make and a nice clean release is vital, its something that I struggle with a lot, you will often see me throw 2 very straight darts and the third dart goes off at a weird angle simply because I have not had a clean release and with me holding the dart in 3 finga's and a fum its even more vital.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Mines has too, been going at angle towards the 1, sometimes blocks the treble bed. Tried different stems/flights still same.
Darts - 24g ShowTime Destiny S/T
Dartboard - One80 Gladiator 2
Best 501 leg - 12 darts (30/10/2014)
Just done the same thing with my missus' throw, her darts are landing straighter and better grouping too. She kept the 2 finger/thumb grip but moved a finger back onto the stem and her throw is smooth now. Will do a video of both our grips, how the darts were landing and what we changed, now just gotta work on the control and aim.

Hackett where do you grip your darts?
Highest Checkout - 156 
180's - 17
Best 501 - 15 darts

I think with me I grip at the front because obviously its what feels natural but I was thinking earlier why am I a front gripper? I can only guess that it is the way my thumb is positioned on my hand and its length, when I try to hold at the rear it just feels uncomfortable and strange, but I think I grip with the 3 fingers because that also feels like it gives me more control, if I felt comfortable with just a thumb and one finger grip I think that would definitely benefit having a clean release, but I am not so sure I could control the dart enough at the same time Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

McCoy max kept blocking the bed on trebs and dubs changed to short stems now they land perfect.Ton machines I use xl aluminium which is the perfect set up and the set up the storms came in (shorts) are perfect for them. Most trouble were the max stil get bounce outs from hitting the darts in the board. No wire bounce outs yet
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

(04-17-2014, 04:13 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I think with me I grip at the front because obviously its what feels natural but I was thinking earlier why am I a front gripper? I can only guess that it is the way my thumb is positioned on my hand and its length, when I try to hold at the rear it just feels uncomfortable and strange, but I think I grip with the 3 fingers because that also feels like it gives me more control, if I felt comfortable with just a thumb and one finger grip I think that would definitely benefit having a clean release, but I am not so sure I could control the dart enough at the same time Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I grip middle frontish also use 3fingers and a thumb feels like I control the dart

(04-17-2014, 04:16 PM)david the Spartan Wrote:
(04-17-2014, 04:13 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I think with me I grip at the front because obviously its what feels natural but I was thinking earlier why am I a front gripper? I can only guess that it is the way my thumb is positioned on my hand and its length, when I try to hold at the rear it just feels uncomfortable and strange, but I think I grip with the 3 fingers because that also feels like it gives me more control, if I felt comfortable with just a thumb and one finger grip I think that would definitely benefit having a clean release, but I am not so sure I could control the dart enough at the same time Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I grip middle frontish also use 3fingers and a thumb feels like I control the dart

Can you post a picture of your Grip Daz/David, I'm intrigued as to how you hold with 3 fingers. When I used 2 there was little room for a 3rd.
Highest Checkout - 156 
180's - 17
Best 501 - 15 darts

My grip    

Thanks David, looks like you have good control, dart nice and straight, main thing easy to replicate, so you get the same grip dart after dart.
Highest Checkout - 156 
180's - 17
Best 501 - 15 darts

This has nothing to do with grip, really, but take a look at the slo mo in this Paul Lim video.

Notice how, as he brings his arm forward, he rotates his wrist 90º so his hand winds up parallel to the ground as his wrist breaks. If I do that, for me a clean release is almost a given. If I don't, and my hand stays more perpendicular to the ground, my release is more likely to have a twist in it and it's a lot easier for my leading finger to send the dart askew. Might work for you, too!
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(04-17-2014, 04:34 PM)NylonRaider Wrote: Thanks David, looks like you have good control, dart nice and straight, main thing easy to replicate, so you get the same grip dart after dart.

This grip I find is all about the 4th digit on your hand. I've moved it away and it feels like I have no control.

(04-17-2014, 04:36 PM)brenthahn Wrote: This has nothing to do with grip, really, but take a look at the slo mo in this Paul Lim video.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1RH5wfGGM]

Notice how, as he brings his arm forward, he rotates his wrist 90º so his hand winds up parallel to the ground as his wrist breaks. If I do that, for me a clean release is almost a given. If I don't, and my hand stays more perpendicular to the ground, my release is more likely to have a twist in it and it's a lot easier for my leading finger to send the dart askew. Might work for you, too!

Interesting video, good slo-mo of his release, very nice follow-through.
Highest Checkout - 156 
180's - 17
Best 501 - 15 darts

A clean release is key. My darts occasionally spin... if this happrns I know a finger is hanging on release, and I need to flick more.

It really is just trial and error. The idea is to find what works comfortably.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Obviously its a combination of things but from what Nylon said at the start it sounded like it was a release issue.

But even your wrist position can affect it and whether you release or follow through too early or late.

I think its good to work on problems but I also think there is always a danger of getting too technical with things and it messes with your mind. Its a fine line I guess, but you should try little things now and then as you just never know.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album