Shot Darts

Choosing Match darts
A poor nutz.
I was looking for the Darts that I will Play with next weekend. A hard choice, as some of you know.
I only have 12 sets to Choose from.(collected over a good few years)As I chop and Change These sets often they all Work.
As I will be playing my one and only tourniment this year I would like to Train with match set up this week. I had it down to throwing 15 Darts(eatch set 5 times at 20s and keeping score.) I had my best 2 sets (score) Then I thorght if only fair to take out my last set from the cupboard, the 1 year old hidden at the back, per/storm . Well they were brillent. So now I am more confused, But happy to be. Now ist only 3/12sets.maybeGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Is it better to take These 3 sets on the day Or 2 sets or Train this week with only one set??
So Players with many sets, How do you choose your match Darts?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I struggle with why people worry about which darts they use, I have lots of different darts but tend to stick to the same match ones, I find if I have a quick throw with the others I throw brilliantly but I know it's only because I'm concentrating more and eventually it will wear off and I won't like the grip or the finger placement or the shape. With using one set of darts for match I know they are reliable, I hate going to a match using different darts and then wondering if I should have just stuck with my normal darts. if I were you I'd just pick your most consistent and comfortable sets, use them for matches and use the rest for playing about with............picked up the pub darts the other day and threw consistent 60s for 10 mins, I know if I used giant brass darts every day I would eventually be just as inconsistent, you are the responsible for your scores, not your darts .............not sure if I helped but good luck at the tourney x
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think you should use the set you feel most comfortable with and stick with that for your matches.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(04-17-2014, 10:52 AM)katsu Wrote: I struggle with why people worry about which darts they use, I have lots of different darts but tend to stick to the same match ones, I find if I have a quick throw with the others I throw brilliantly but I know it's only because I'm concentrating more and eventually it will wear off and I won't like the grip or the finger placement or the shape. With using one set of darts for match I know they are reliable, I hate going to a match using different darts and then wondering if I should have just stuck with my normal darts. if I were you I'd just pick your most consistent and comfortable sets, use them for matches and use the rest for playing about with............picked up the pub darts the other day and threw consistent 60s for 10 mins, I know if I used giant brass darts every day I would eventually be just as inconsistent, you are the responsible for your scores, not your darts .............not sure if I helped but good luck at the tourney x

Totally agree - nothing worse than swapping darts for a match and thinking 'I should have stuck with the other set'.

I also have to say I have done the same thing, thrown well with different darts at home and decided I'll use them for me match - taken both the new set and the original set and at some point before the match swapped back to me old darts.

Reason I only take 1 set to matches now, removed the distraction of the other set sat in me case on the bar and the thought of 'would I play better with them' - Just take the one set and I am stuck with them and all my focus is in throwing that one set and not the other set I may have brought with me.

Each to their own Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
A similar query could be made as to whether to keep the same gear set-up with your 'Match darts' or tweak them. ie; change stem lenghts, compositions, locked/fixed, different shaped flights.
Same barrels, just an infinity of different stems and flights.... when do you stop?
I don't like having more than one set.
Darts - 24g ShowTime Destiny S/T
Dartboard - One80 Gladiator 2
Best 501 leg - 12 darts (30/10/2014)
(04-17-2014, 03:18 PM)redhedkev Wrote: A similar query could be made as to whether to keep the same gear set-up with your 'Match darts' or tweak them. ie; change stem lenghts, compositions, locked/fixed, different shaped flights.
Same barrels, just an infinity of different stems and flights.... when do you stop?

Very true - lucky for me short stems, standard flights has always worked best for me so no need to change anything there Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As you say, if you weighed up every option, stem length, stem material, flight shape, #microns thickness, embossed, material etc you could spend years trying every different combination out there.

On the one hand you have Peter Wright using different darts each week, on the other you have Barney who changes stems and flights more often than I change me underpants - Simon Whitlock's another, uses different stems on each dart, dont quote me but I am sure I seen Whitlock using 2 short stems and one longer stem on his darts before now.

As a wise old owl once said, darts is 90% in your head, thoughts of tampering and changing only detracts from your game IMO too - find something that suits you and work on making it perfect rather than spending years looking for the 'perfect' set up that can only exist with lots of practice, aghain, in my opinion Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-17-2014, 03:18 PM)redhedkev Wrote: A similar query could be made as to whether to keep the same gear set-up with your 'Match darts' or tweak them. ie; change stem lenghts, compositions, locked/fixed, different shaped flights.

I've seen a local player do this, during matches he constantly changes his set up and gets more and more frustrated and uptight when his darts spray
Play with the darts you practice with !!!
So Players with many sets, How do you choose your match Darts?
I am down to 2 sets , the rest are packed away for this week.
Playing 501 against my self , and keeping a score Card.
looked good till I had a come back. It is so Close.
I will Play with the 2 sets best of 17 matches, then will only use the winning set.
As for my set up, well over a year with the same shafts and flights, on all Darts.
All advice is welcome, just using what I Need.
And Katsu thanks , you get 3 here.. xxx
Ps you are the only Darts nutz to have beaten me at Darts, (that I know of.
(04-17-2014, 04:51 PM)Aussie Kev Wrote: So Players with many sets, How do you choose your match Darts?
I am down to 2 sets , the rest are packed away for this week.
Playing 501 against my self , and keeping a score Card.
looked good till I had a come back. It is so Close.
I will Play with the 2 sets best of 17 matches, then will only use the winning set.
As for my set up, well over a year with the same shafts and flights, on all Darts.
All advice is welcome, just using what I Need.
And Katsu thanks , you get 3 here.. xxx
Ps you are the only Darts nutz to have beaten me at Darts, (that I know of.

oooohhhh that's an honour thanks kev three back at ya xxx
I pick my darts based on a few things. Comfort in hand, ability to replicate grip, weight balance, mechanical grip, width of barrel.

I'm one of those people that throw about the same with almost any dart. Changing doesn't bother me. Even though I take a variety of sets with me to a match, I pick one early and don't think about it the rest of the night. It isn't the darts making me spray, it is form.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
It isn't the darts making me spray, it is form.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usually it's somebody making me laugh before I've swallowed my Guiness.
(04-17-2014, 05:36 PM)Milkysunshine Wrote: It isn't the darts making me spray, it is form.

This is what Ive found. Switching darts back and forth you get that "honeymoon" period where I think subconsciously you're focusing on your form more than usual because you want these darts to be "the ones". If Im missing the 20 wedge, its probably NOT the darts, its my form.

I bring two sets of darts out in my case. My set I use, and another set that never leaves the case unless Im playing someone who doesn't have darts with them or if something happened to my match set.

I try to follow George S' advice to not tinker. I have my setup, and work on form and repeating that form.
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

I take three sets of Sigmas with me (OK the Lightning Storms set up as Sigmas) and I have a few practice throws with whichever I fancy.
It is usually the 25 gm Sigma or the 23 gm Storms. I see how they feel and then throw with one or the other. I MIGHT switch part way through but there lies danger.
I only have 22 sets to choose from though.
Some of the poor things just lie there in the box hardly used, calling to me in that plaintive way darts do "use me, I'll be good!" Pathetic really.
You don't mess with The Voice of Reason. You have the right to be wrong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing a weight Mattb0612 7 1,067 07-05-2017, 12:42 AM
Last Post: Gunnersaurus