Harrows Darts.

Powercore Competizione Mugello 23g Darts Review

I got sent these recently from Steve at Dart Locker for review. Click link to see the 3 models available:

Dart Locker

Steve has worked with Powercore darts for some time to come out with a dart that will appeal to the majority of players, but provide a very nice level of grip that should be durable and long lasting.

Of course I have only had the darts a week or so, so cant really comment on the grips durability, but Steve assures me his original sample set still have a lot of grip left in them. I am going to be sending the darts on to a few other people so they too will be able to give an input on the darts and add their thoughts to this review, I think that should be a fair way to asses the darts from other peoples views as we all feel and throw darts differently. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The darts will only be available to buy from Darts Locker and retail for £34.99. They are 90% tungsten and come in three weights 21, 23 and 25 grams. They are fitted with Powercore Competizione standard shape flights that are 150 microns and have black/smoke transparent Laro shafts fitted which I think are medium length or possibly inbetween.

Steve from Dart Locker has given Darts Nutz members a special offer to knock £5 off the price, ask a Mod or Admin for the code Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The Competizione range is named after Italian racing tracks so we have Monza, Imola and Mugello. That racing theme is reflected in the very sporty and stylish packaging and design of the flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I do like the look of these darts a lot, they are very nicely machined and all edges appear to be cleanly cut and defined along the grip, the nose is tapered but grooved, so very grippy there but may be a bit too edgy for incoming impact on flights already in the board?

As you can see from the pics above and especially the close up pic, the barrel has 2 types of grip. The first half of the barrel is made up of a wider ring based grip and the rear is a series of closer spaced thin rings. The lateral cuts run the length of the barrel making a faceted style grip but the rear feels more grippy. I would say both the grips are a high level of grip but the rear is that little bit more grippier.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

All Dimensions of the barrel:

WEIGHT:

The barrels all weighed a fraction over 23g and were within 8 100ths of a gram matched, so very good when you take into consideration the amount of cuts on the barrels!

weight of full set up as supplied:

BALANCE:

Balance point with nothing attached was slightly front of centre:

and spot on centre with supplied set up:

balance with my own medium, short and extra short stems and standard flights:

My grip with these darts:

Most of the time the darts landed in the board like this, but landed a little more horizontal when I angled the point upwards on my drawback and release:

Conclusion:

I have had a couple of Powercore darts now and I am quite impressed with their quality so its no surprise to see that these are also of an excellent standard too. The shape of this particular model was just about right for me, but people will buy these darts and this range more for the grip and that's what people want to know about I guess.

Well when I handled the darts without throwing them I could tell straight away that the rear of the barrel would be too grippy for me but the front felt a lot less sticky!

Well that is what I thought until I threw them, for some reason they felt a little more grippy when I released the darts in my throw. I can only assume its because at that point my fingers are moving off the barrel and therefore my touch is lightening and I am feeling the edges of the grip more. It was a little strange at first but then I got to liking it as it meant I had a good level of control around the barrel. Its all the little edges of the cuts in the barrel that give it a kind of sticky grip, and if that grip lasts as well as Steve said then it is rather good! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

One thing I may have possibly changed with this particular model is the grooves on the nose, as nice as they are I think it may have been better to have a smooth nose to aid better contact with flights of darts in the board, but its no biggie.

I think these darts are well worth a try if you fancy a grip that is a little different but still need plenty of bite, you probably wont like them if a standard ring grip is as grippy as you get, everyone else though should be more than happy with them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 8.5 (they do look the business)
Grip: 8 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip) Has a kind of sticky feel to it.
Weight match: 8 (close)
Quality: 9 (very nice quality)
Value: 8 (reasonable)
Suitability for me: 7.5 (I like them, but cant make my mind up if they are too grippy?) Shape was nice for me though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Best Feature: The grip!

Additional Comments from other members:

Dan (Kamikersie):

Ok so here goes my writeup about these mugello darts........

Last week I received these darts through the post from Darren to have a try and so I could write what I think about these darts.

From the beginning I will say these darts are really grippy - the unique combination of turning and machining on the barrels creating the horizontal and cylindrical effect (i.e ringgrip) really makes the dart stand out and feel good in your hand . Taking this fact into consideration (machining time on the barrels and the amount of effort taken to manufacture the darts), the price they retail for is not a great deal.

The darts are really similar to the darts which I have been using most up until now; bulls barney 21g. The mugellos are slightly longer than the barneys because they are heavier but the balance feels exactly the same. There is a picture of the two barrels alongside each other.

I think I would have to give them a 4/5 because I think that trying to repoint them could prove difficult.... because the nose of the barrel is so thin in places.

I don't think I have missed anything I wanted to say. If I think of something else then I will add it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

cheers,

Dan

Comments from Danny (dannyd180)

Well I was surprised to receive an email from Darren last week asking me if I wanted to have a try of these darts for review purposes for the forum (thanks mate). I can only guess that I was chosen because I am used to receiving darts, raving about them and then passing them on within a couple of days, so for me this would be familiar territory. lol

Anyway Kamikersie posted them on to me and they arrived yesterday (thanks as well mate), and I chucked with them for a good while last night.

Now when we first heard about these darts they were cited as 'Carrera beaters', and once the images were released the reaction from some was that of disappointment. Well I have tried 3 sets of Carreras and I did not like any of them, for me the grip was too abrasive and if anything felt sticky - the result was that I was snatching too many darts as I was struggling to release them consistently, I persevered but they weren't for me. Now I am a guy who loves the purist grip and for me that is my idea grip, as you can feel it in your hand , don't need to hold it too tight, and it allows control.

These Powercore darts though are something else, the quality of the dart is second to none, and they really are precision made, something you would expect from something made in Italy. the packaging looks very snazzy but I won't go on too much about it, other than to say it has a similar feel to the quality of Target packaging (would look good and grab your eye on any shelf in a darts shop. the only issue for me is that it is quite bulky, but that is neither here no there as after all it's all about the darts.

The profile of the dart itself is very nice and feels familiar in your hand - a tried and tested barrel shape that you really can't go wrong with.

Back to the grip though as that for me is what these darts are all about. In my opinion it does not feel 'grippy' or 'sharp' in comparison with say a purist or carrera, but that is not a negative as it just feels natural and comfortable, but allows you to have control of the dart, and I had no concern that darts would slip at all. It is not a grip type that I have come across before, but it is nonetheless very impressive. the thing with a lot of darts manufacturers these days, is that when making a grippy darts, some of them come up with something that is either uncomfortable to hold, you cannot let go of, or will shred flights to pieces. I think that Powercore have achieved something here that allows you to grip the barrel with ease, but most importantly you have control over them. In addition, the fact that the grip isn't 'aggressive' in the sense that it doesn't have really sharp edges and profiles, I think that it would easily outlast other aggressive grip types as it is less likely to be damaged by tight groupings.

As I said I had a good chuck with them and managed a max and nearly a triple bull (two inner and one outer), and I felt that with practice I could get used to these darts no problem.

Didn't do anything really by way of photographs as I cannot compete with Darren in that area, and there is nothing really that I could add further to what he has already posted. I will however show a comparison with my current setup (Unicorn Jack Marriner, gripper 26mm storms, short stems and sigma one flights). I could not get my setup to work with these darts, and with the various combinations I tried, I found that the out of the box setup works best with them.

As has already been pointed out, DIY repointing would not be a wise idea with these, as the nose of the dart is very thin at one point, but if powercore/dartlocker were to offer repointing with other options, that would be great. I personally rest a finger on the point, hence the type of point that I use.

I shall have to look online at the rest of the range, as I am very impressed with this grip profile and could take to it nicely, but I prefer a slightly longer and thinner dart as the photo below shows.

In conclusion though, I really cannot say a bad word about these darts, precision made and a grip that allows for ultimate control of the dart.

Comments from Greg (Rebel)

Well, I have had a good hour throwing these this afternoon and I must say - very impressed!

Grip gets 10/10 from me, spot on - I have had darts with a faceted finish before (Baxters and Pentathlon), that being longitudinal grooves running down the barrel through the rings - however these feel much gripier to me.
Best way to describe the actual feel of the darts is like being licked by a cat - It neither feels sharp or cutting on the fingers, it has a rough feel, like a top notch micro grip - micro grip being my favorite grip pattern, just a shame it wears down so quickly. The grip on these however will last much longer than micro grip and gets a big thumbs up from me.
Best part for me is that I roll my darts slightly when I am throwing, this grip pattern gives much more control over the dart when doing this, kind of has a feel like the wheel on those old Swann cigarette lighters - as I say, gets full marks from me for grip.

Balance is very nice too - these are a bit longer than I am used to throwing and while only a gram more than me Whitlocks feel quite a bit heavier - they feel dense and solid. However within a few throws I am hitting the 20 regularly with few T20's thrown in there.
I find it easy to hold the same spot each throw, right in the middle, with the point rested on me middle finger - in fact exactly how I hold me match darts.
The big difference is that you barely have to grip these darts, they sit nice in the hand and you dont need to feel around for the grip - its right there every time, and with applying very little pressure to it.
Anyway, after throwing for an hour or so I was throwing these just as consistently, hitting plenty of 100+'s, no 180 as yet though.

The packaging is great, if not a little basic, very funky and stands out as something a bit different and the price is spot on for the workmanship of the barrels alone.
Looks wise, I would also rate them highly, straight away your attention is drawn that these are something a bit different to the norm - I am going to have a bit longer with them but with the £5 off there's a good chance I will be treating myself to a set come pay day!

Overall I agree with the comments above, well made darts, look great, fantastic grip and they look smart too - again, I agree that the only negatives could be trouble re pointing and the packaging, while sleek and eye-catching is a bit flimsy, but that's taking nothing away from the darts themselves - they get a 5/5 from me - on first impressions they are one of the nicest, well balanced darts I have tried.

Comparison with 22g Whitlock's:

Just wanted to post a quick update on these:

It's been bothering me, that with a few hours play with these dats now, and the grip is still spot on - in fact with the little knocks etc its getting even better, the only minor (and I mean minor) negatives associated with the darts are:

a) The packaging being a bit flimsy, however for the vast majority of us packaging is packaging, more often than not slung in the bin so for me that is neither here nor there - 99% of us already have a case and our preferred stems/ flights anyway so not even an issue with me.

b) Re-Pointing - as you can see from the pictures there is a ring right at the nose that looks like it could be a weak point where the tungsten is very thin and may cause issues when re-pointing the darts.
Again, not a massive issue for most but curiosity kills the cat as they say - well this cat, in the immortal words of Paul Nicholson, just put that curiosity to bed! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Very carefully I removed one black point, keeping it to one side in case the going got tough and I needed to replace it.
I found an old set of Storm points in me drawer and proceeded to try one with me fingers, it went in very slightly - so carefully with me repointing tool I slowly squeezed it in, watching the potential weak spot for any signs of cracking or bending.

Absolutely nothing - the point went in like a dream, as did the other two - so, pardon the pun - point proven, no issues whatsoever with re-pointing :sa
ucey:

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Quality review Grip. great pictures.

Thanks mate!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

What's the current market's price range for this? Who sells?
(03-30-2014, 10:53 PM)majeek Wrote: What's the current market's price range for this? Who sells?

What?

All info is in the review, c'mon Edgar lol

£34.99 from Dart Locker, that is the only place to buy them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

There is 3 models available, click the link in the review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

They look awesome. Let me know if they need someone to carry out a practical evaluation.
Shot 901 grip 23grm with Midi stems Any dark coloured flights

Plays for The Bridge A in The Bracknell and Binfield Winter Darts League
Great review, i do like the look of the imola in these.

Grip, is there any codes for dart locker?
Darts - 24g ShowTime Destiny S/T
Dartboard - One80 Gladiator 2
Best 501 leg - 12 darts (30/10/2014)
(03-30-2014, 10:57 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 10:53 PM)majeek Wrote: What's the current market's price range for this? Who sells?

What?

All info is in the review, c'mon Edgar lol

£34.99 from Dart Locker, that is the only place to buy them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

There is 3 models available, click the link in the review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Aawww sorry! Yesterday's 10-hour marathon tournament drained me too much. My leg hurts and my mind is still in sleep mode.
Nice review gripo
Another awesome review grip.
Thanks guys, lol@Edgar Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

No special discount codes, unless Steve provides one Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Got a message from Steve, he is looking at the possibility of providing a discount for members, so will let you know what he decides Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Those do look like an incredibly well made dart. I have seen a few darts with those lateral grooves cut in, and they look like an afterthought (I know they were on the Apollos lol). however, looking at the close-up shots on these darts they look perfectly made!

The one thing I would be nervous about with these is the nose of the dart and the first deep cut groove at the front, there can't be much tungsten around the point and there must be quite a high chance of a stress fracture, especially when repointing. I hate plain black points, and would have to change out the points on these, I would be scared to death of the things breaking!
Look like well made darts.

The other two barrels in the range would suit me more I reckon
Thanks for the Review Getagrip. As always 1st class.
could call the grip, Bread Knife Grip.
Looks like it could cut into a panini all`olio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Powercore Darts PS901 22g darts review Getagrip 20 17,488 04-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Getagrip