Target Darts.

Unicorn Purist Phase 2 vs Mccoy Max review
In Jan. I've started to begin with darts after seeing Van Gerwen on tv. In the 90's , when Barney started to get the game populair in The Netherlands, I already started with a few games of darts but it wasn't as serieus as I'm liking the game now.

I am a big fan of straight barrel darts with lots of grip. Therefore I had bought the Mc-Coy Max, a purist look-a-like but a little bit cheaper. Throwing for a few weeks and enjoing these darts   But I'm always looking for that "perfect" dart, and therefore got today the Unicorn Purist Phase 2. I wanted to compare them and here it goes  

This is what you get if you buy the Phase 2 Purist from Unicorn:

This is what you get if you buy the Phase 2 Purist from Unicorn:
Broken link removed
Barrels only, a weight certificate of 24 grams. and a kind of pouch.

The different barrels, both 24 grams:

Phase 2: Length 53.5mm Diameter 6.6mm
Max: Length 50.2mm Dia 6.74mm
Broken link removed
The Phase 2 above and the Max below have the same type of grip, ring grip.

Broken link removed
As you can see the Phase 2 is a little bit longer, but just a slight thinner than the Max.

Broken link removed
Also the point is longer of the Phase 2.

Weight

The Mc-coy Max darts are a few weeks old and used therefore the weight can be a little more (0,01 grams) when bought new.

Mc-Coy Max:
Broken links removed

Unicorn Phase 2 Purist:
Broken links removed

Balance

The darts are both even balanced

Phase 2:
Broken link removed
Max:
Broken link removed
Final looks

Broken link removed
The end

The Mc-coy Max is a great dart if you want to try a straight barrel with lots of grip (4 from 1-5) . They feel really good and they are well worth the money (+- £14.50) It's a quality dart!

The Purist is a bit more grippy, maybe because they are new they feel at least a big 4 (1 to 5). They look really good and are a little longer and thinner. Just a bit more expensive (+- £21.50)

Hopefully you can make your own decision with the help of this review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great review. I love the max's
(03-18-2014, 04:44 PM)USMC80 Wrote: Great review. I love the max's

Thnx.

Love the Max's too, but maybe the purist is going to beat it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Never tried the purists
Nice review. +1 from me. A good side by side comparison.
Absolutely love the purists, one of my favourite darts period. However, I once bought a set of the McCoys max darts for a backup and did not like them. the grip was OK but for me not as aggressive, but I thought they would be the same width and diameter for the same weight, but they were shorter (I don't throw darts under 50mm so a no no for me), and they were slightly fatter (from memory). As a result the balance was all off for me and they were sold sharpish!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Nice review. Like the look of the max's better
Nice review-
I agree the Purist wins, the max just feels cheap to me. I have several McCoy darts and the max is at the bottom of their line in my opinion.
I've played with both. I had the phase 3 purist... well I had 1 2 and 3 but quickly sold the 1 and 2.

As you can see by the pictures, the McCoy darts aren't as evenly matched when it comes to weight. I think this is negligible... but something to pay attention to.
I also don't love the larger ridge on the McCoy's front ring. More gnarly deflections.
The grip is a little more pronounced on the purist.
Then comes price. I paid $36 USD shipped for the purists, and roughly $22 shipped for the McCoy's. For that price, the minimal differences are tolerable.

All in all, both good darts. In this exact comparison, I would go with the Unicorns. Unless you are on a really tight budget or just starting out. In that case the McCoy's won't let you down.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(03-18-2014, 05:19 PM)Tormentor Wrote: Nice review-
I have several McCoy darts and the max is at the bottom of their line in my opinion.
I totally agree with this statement.
-Milky

Really nice comparison and review!
Thanks, have a +1from me!
Just curious, but why do y'all think the Max's are the bottom of the Mccoy line?
The overall design. Granted they are made to be a clone of the purists, but the flat nose at the front, the shallow grip rings, and the mutiple 'shelves' along the barrel. Those shelves kill flights and cause deflections.

Their other models seem more thought out and properly engineered. I've owned or still own these, as well as the stealth, shark, sabergrip, sniper and extra.
-Milky

They just feel cheap to me, can't really explain it. Their other darts that I have don't feel that way to me
(03-18-2014, 06:01 PM)Milkysunshine Wrote: The overall design. Granted they are made to be a clone of the purists, but the flat nose at the front, the shallow grip rings, and the mutiple 'shelves' along the barrel. Those shelves kill flights and cause deflections.

Their other models seem more thought out and properly engineered. I've owned or still own these, as well as the stealth, shark, sabergrip, sniper and extra.

Personally I like the flat nose, it's for me a good recognition place for one of my fingers.

Maybe smooth Storm points can make the dart less destructive.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bulls Phantom Grip 24g review, Barneveld Unicorn Phase 1 jordanhopper180 13 1,579 03-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Last Post: dexterwolf
  Bit Of Bully Ryan Joyce Phase 2 Darts Review Getagrip 7 440 12-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 376 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,701 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Unicorn Raymond van Barneveld World Champion Phase 1 25g darts review Getagrip 24 12,387 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: The Runner
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 40 26,502 05-14-2020, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Bart
  Unicorn James Wade Phase 2 Noirs 20g Ivefoundgod 6 533 04-24-2020, 01:07 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 3 Purist Darts Review Paldini-fc 6 864 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Last Post: WhiskyPops
  Unicorn T90 23 grams review. Phil D 6 813 03-28-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Jelle Klaasen World Champion Phase 2 22g Darts Review Getagrip 11 1,096 11-23-2019, 06:33 PM