Darts Buddy

Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review

Here is a review of the new Unicorn Lumina DNA darts from Unicorns 2014 range. For more info check the Unicorn site here: https://www.unicorn-darts.com/range/dart...a-dna.aspx

You can win these in our Birthday Prize Draw Here: https://www.dartsnutz.net/showthread.php?tid=5050

This is the 21g version, they are also available in 23 and 25 grams.
The RRP of the darts is £54.99.

They are a 90% tungsten dart and come with a Unicorn Luxury Midi Wallet and are fitted with XL 100% Titanium shafts (with rubber "O" rings pre-fitted) and the new Unicorn Fin flights which have the Q Ribbed texture and are 100 micron, they are fitted with finger grip points.

They come in a cardboard box as below:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As you can see straight away from the pics the darts have a multitude of colours on the barrels and the XL Shafts, this is Unicorns DNA Titanium coating, called DNA because each barrel and shaft has a unique combination of colours so no two darts look the same.

The darts have a very grippy high level Shark grip, with only a few areas that are smooth, namely the very nose of the barrel and the ring with the Unicorn and Lumina DNA text and the very rear of the barrel.

As you can see below the Fin flights have a kind of wavy texture and they are shaped like a shield with distinctive pointy fins, they bloody hurt when you smack your face with them, which I did often Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
But, they are said to affect better flight stability and improve aerodynamic drag.

The colours of the barrels change depending on the angle you look at it and how the light hit it, but there is goldy yellows, purples, greens and blues:

When I first saw a pic of these for some reason they seemed long to me but the barrels are quite short really, they have a kind of very slight bulge just before the halfway point which is quite subtle but made the dart very nicely balanced for my grip:

Length:

Width:

Full Set Up legth:

Detailed dimensions:

Barrels were all just under 21g by almost 2 tenths but they were very closely matched with just a difference of 2 100ths of a gram!

Weight of the full supplied set up:

The balance point without the shafts and flights was just front of centre:

The full set up moved in near the centre of the barrel:

Balance point with medium, short and extra short nylon shafts and standard flights:

Angle of darts as they landed in the board:

Well I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at these darts. I thought when I first seen them that there is no way they will work for me, the grip is too aggressive! But I had no problems with the grip but I cant say for sure if its because of my hand injury and I may not be gripping the dart like I used to. With such a grip as these you really only need a light grip which is what you should have for most darts anyway, but I tend to think that is usually my main issue, not the lack of grip but because I grip too much!

The balance on these darts seemed to sit in just the right place for me and when I first threw them I thought they had a very nice smooth flight through the air. I suspected it may have something to do with the Fin flights. They really do seem to have an affect on the dart but I also suspect that with these darts been fairly light at 21g the affect will be more noticeable on a lighter than heavier dart. I still have some pain when throwing the dart, think that will be there for a few months yet so can only throw so long before it gets too bad but I did manage to hit a few T20's with them which was a nice surprise after not throwing for the past few months. My big problem with the flight is the pointy fins, I do have a tendency to draw back towards my face and they sure hurt when they hit you lol! but thats my fault and not a fault of the flight, I will need to get some to try with other sets to see how they perform.

I enjoyed throwing these darts and its usually a good sign when I am thinking of getting a set for keeps (like I am with these, as these are for our birthday draw), the only real issue is the price, they are not so cheap at £54.99 but you do get the nice Unicorn case and Titanium shafts, and I assume that the Ti coating is a not so cheap process, and both the barrels and the shafts have this coating. But there is a cheaper plain tungsten version but they are not as pretty as these DNA

Summary Rating:

Looks = 8/10 (looks great with the whole set up)
Grip = 9 (on a 1 to 10 scale or level)
Quality = 9/10 (great quality, cant see any issues)
Value = 6/10 (a bit expensive though)
Suitability for me = 7.5/10 (a tough one to decide as they flew nice but I usually dont get along with such grippy darts, so 7.5 I think)

P.S. I did try throwing the darts with my medium Cosmo and standard fit flights, they still flew nice but I think they are even better with the Fin Flights Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another great review grip. These are good I think if you are going to use them as is straight out of the box. Think the coating will lose something if you put other stems on them. Overall a nice looking dart, don't let saber see them, those alloy stems will drive him batty.

Your comment about gripping the dart too tight might be a problem I have.
Thanks Poop!

Added a little Post Script to the original post.

Yeah your right as a set up out the box they are the business!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Those flights look huge. How do they compare to standart box flights?
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
(03-14-2014, 05:08 PM)Milkysunshine Wrote: Those flights look huge. How do they compare to standart box flights?

almost same size really:

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

nice review that Grip - anything with a lot of photos works for me !!

the coating reminds me of the old TVR cars and there paint jobs
Great review as usual Darren.
(03-14-2014, 05:21 PM)Smally Biggs Wrote: nice review that Grip - anything with a lot of photos works for me !!

the coating reminds me of the old TVR cars and there paint jobs

Thanks! yeah it does look like that Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(03-14-2014, 05:23 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Great review as usual Darren.

Cheers Pops!

You ok?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Hanging in there.
Good! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thumbs Down 
Great pics mate
may all the doubles be with you

Thanks Fred! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review, really like the look of these but like you say maybe just a tad too expensive
180's: 67
Best 501: 17 (webcam darts) 15 (practice)
Best Finish: 130 (webcam darts) 160 (practice)
Darts
Winmau Ted Hankey 24g
Great review grip! I like the shape and look of those darts. +1 for the review and return from injury(almost) lol
............... does Batman know you've got his darts Grip?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 780 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 5,111 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 457 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 1,218 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 376 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,700 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Unicorn Raymond van Barneveld World Champion Phase 1 25g darts review Getagrip 24 12,386 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: The Runner
  Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 3 Purist Darts Review Paldini-fc 6 864 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Last Post: WhiskyPops
  Unicorn T90 23 grams review. Phil D 6 812 03-28-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Green 22g Darts Review Getagrip 8 573 03-26-2020, 04:07 PM