Double Top Darts.

Going for outs.
So since I started playing in a league I noticed that a lot of players once they get to a possible out, they go for it. Doesn't matter if it's 170 or 17 they go for it. Mind you I play in the lowest league level which is D. When I am up looking at a higher out anything higher than maybe 100 or a little less my teammates have a tendency to call out shots for me. I also know I will not hit it and will most likely hit 3 low numbers losing any momentum I had in scoring. Luckily I got them to stop. It has got me thinking though. Would it be best to try to go for an out no matter how high it is? Or wait until a more reasonable out?

Mind you I am a low level player and doubles are a problem, regardless how much I have been practicing them. I feel I do the right thing by getting to a more doable out but am I hurting myself in the long run by doing so?
If your opponent is on an out, you have to go for it.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-21-2014, 05:41 PM)uncle poop Wrote: ... I also know I will not hit it...

As long as you think that, you won't. Time to change your mindset, sir! Every dart is a new opportunity, and you're playing to win, not to "not lose."
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Always I mean Always go for the kill shot if you have it. I learned the hard way - you may not get another look. Stop thinking your not going to hit it! You won't if you think that way
I always go for the out no matter what, took me a while hit a ton+ out but I always tried, have about 10 ton+ outs now. I'll take on the bull rather than set myself up. I want to get out in the least amount of darts.
Highest Checkout - 156 
180's - 17
Best 501 - 15 darts
Hit my first 180 - 27/1/14

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Even if you go for high outs, you can set yourself up for lower outs if you miss. If you have 82 and aren't comfortable with the bull to set it up, you can go T14 to leave d20. Single 14 leaves 68. From 68 you have a few options with 2 darts in your hand. T18 D7, 18 bull, or just go T20 D4. The t20 is not preferred because a single 20 does not leave you an out with the last dart. That being said, that 48 can be turned into one of your stronger doubles for the next turn... IF, and I mean IF there is a next turn.
-Milky

I agree with what Brent said - you might not hit them every time but if you start hitting the first number, eventually you will hit the second, setting yourself up for the finish. Yup, you have to change the mindset for sure. Plus, you are going to have to learn the outshots sooner or later, so it might as well be sooner Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
That's the thing though. I am not consistent at all and for the most part neither are my opponents in the league. I could see if I was more consistent to go for larger outs. As it is I probably average 20's because for every 60 or 80 I may get I get at least 2 26's. I just hate losing any momentum in scoring for a very slim chance of closing out.

The other night while practicing I did what I normally do. Bang away until I get to a more doable out. I was at 116 when I hit s20 t20 (a miracle to say the least) and yet another miracle I hit the d18. I was so happy. A couple practice rounds later I got to 130 hit a 26, 41 leaving 63. So I go 19 hit 20 going at 12 and hit t5 going for d12. I am a mess when shooting especially having to go all over the board.
Just took out 84, 2 darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. always thrilled when I out in minimum darts.
Highest Checkout - 156 
180's - 17
Best 501 - 15 darts

(02-21-2014, 08:00 PM)NylonRaider Wrote: Just took out 84, 2 darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. always thrilled when I out in minimum darts.

nice. which way?
T20, D12. I seem to struggle hitting doubles more when I have 3 darts at it. When I'm in my rythym going from 1 number to another I seem to hit it more.
Highest Checkout - 156 
180's - 17
Best 501 - 15 darts

Uncle Poop. I was like you when I 1st started playing. I would just score heavy and not think about peg outs until I was around the 100 mark or less because I was not good with switching around the board.
But as time went by, my shooting improved and most importantly I was given a bit of advice. Learn my out shot combinations and practice them if I wanted to become a better player.

League High Peg Outs: Monday 160, Tuesday 170, Thursday 170, Friday 160
If the opponent isn't on an out I will set myself up. If I'm on 86 and the other dude is WAY back I will NOT go for the bull. 1st dart 18's in hopes of leaving 32. If I hit a single 18 to leave 68 I'll have a look at the 20's. Then set myself up after that. There's just no need to go for an out. You will end up screwing yourself more times then not.
Of course, if the other guy is on a reasonable out I'll go 18,18, bull 100% of the time.
I would stick with the 18s instead of going 20s. If I hit a 20 with my second dart that would leave 48. Then I'd have to go down the board to 16s to leave 32. Or 8 for tops. I like to just repeat my throw at a number I just hit instead of move all around the board. Kinda like 76. Sometimes I hit a single 20, I just hit another one and go d18. 2 reasons. The one stated, and I love d18.
-Milky

(03-15-2014, 08:32 PM)Milkysunshine Wrote: I would stick with the 18s instead of going 20s. If I hit a 20 with my second dart that would leave 48. Then I'd have to go down the board to 16s to leave 32. Or 8 for tops. I like to just repeat my throw at a number I just hit instead of move all around the board. Kinda like 76. Sometimes I hit a single 20, I just hit another one and go d18. 2 reasons. The one stated, and I love d18.

The opponent isn't anywhere near an out. You have 86 left. 1st dart single 18 to leave 68. Milky, please explain your reasoning for staying on 18's. A treble 18 from 68 leaves 14. Which is a terrible leave if you have zero pressure on you.

Even after a single 18 to leave 68, the goal is to finish the leg in the next 2 darts. A treble 20 would be WAY better then a treble 18 at this point. D-4 verses a D7.

I sometimes wonder if it's little things like this that separate decent players from really good players?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning your ‘outs’ Mumbles11 10 699 04-23-2020, 02:29 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  Double outs Chart Rybro 6 1,651 06-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Bounce Outs? rjgonzales 2 277 02-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Borisbbadd
  So many bounce outs/drop outs Mattb0612 16 1,277 05-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Wave 180
  Drop outs arran01 6 860 11-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Last Post: arran01