unicorn

Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating it today
I got up early, got the smoker up to temperature, seasoned the 15 lb. turkey and put it on to cook for several hours till done.   We'll be having baked mac & cheese, green bean casserole, a rich brown gravy, hot dinner buns slathered with butter and pumpkin pie for dessert.

To wash it all down, I made a pitcher of Bloody Mary mix per my recipe, have fresh brewed iced tea and a couple bottles of wine if so inclined.

Happy T-Day to all the U.S. folk celebrating it.     I'll likely be fighting a turkey induced coma around 5 this evening while the football games are on TV.
gumbo2176
The lengths some people went to back in the day to get away from good honest British grub
- the pigs trotters
- the jellied eels
- the black pudding (Blood Sausage)
- the babies heads
- the haggis
- the civit of hare
- the delicious tripe
----
you lot got Turkey? - Gah that is the Atlanta Falcons of birds- ... you could have had Duck - or Goose or Guinneafowl or even spatchcocked Poussin... sounds a bit French though... Turkey - yeah back on the with the mushy peas and black pudding.
Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Mind/Machine Interface damp string and cup technology.
(11-24-2022, 07:29 PM)Ryk Wrote: The lengths some people went to back in the day to get away from good honest British grub
- the pigs trotters
- the jellied eels
- the black pudding (Blood Sausage)
- the babies heads
- the haggis
- the civit of hare
- the delicious tripe
----
you lot got Turkey? - Gah that is the Atlanta Falcons of birds- ... you could have had Duck - or Goose or Guinneafowl or even spatchcocked Poussin... sounds a bit French though... Turkey - yeah back on the with the mushy peas and black pudding.

If you've never had a deep fried or smoked turkey, you don't know what you're missing.    I fix them both ways and they are way better than a baked turkey.

And the granddaddy of them all is the "Turducken" that I've made 4 times over the years.   It is a meat and stuffing feast fit for Kings.
gumbo2176
Happy Thanksgiving.
Some menu’s are not my cup of tea!

Get to see two out of three kids today which is not to bad. Third kid in college and doesn’t come home for this one so blessing all three are good.

Blessed to have a wife that does the cooking and I get to watch the games.

Be safe out there and hope everyone has a great day!
Last set of darts bought 11/29/2022
I hope to try to use this set? 

Be Safe and Good Darts!
BAKED Turkey leg, mash, spinach, olives, gravy, and a big ole mushroom. Not exactly traditional but close enough for me. I've tried smoked and deep fat fried, not my taste.
(11-24-2022, 06:11 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I got up early, got the smoker up to temperature, seasoned the 15 lb. turkey and put it on to cook for several hours till done.   We'll be having baked mac & cheese, green bean casserole, a rich brown gravy, hot dinner buns slathered with butter and pumpkin pie for dessert.

To wash it all down, I made a pitcher of Bloody Mary mix per my recipe, have fresh brewed iced tea and a couple bottles of wine if so inclined.

Happy T-Day to all the U.S. folk celebrating it.     I'll likely be fighting a turkey induced coma around 5 this evening while the football games are on TV.
You make a mouthwatering dish, gumbo Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.. If we tried that here we would be drenched within hours.
Happy (belated) Thanksgiving to you and our other American friends across the pond.
This is the thread I was waiting for to enjoy your meals vicariously through your posts. We had left over Asian deli food which is good but not Turkey like y'all do
Every year, I make the turkey, stuffing, and gravy. My wife cooks the veggies and things are brought by guests. Everything (IMO) came out better than it has before. It took about 6 hours for the turkey. I'm thinking next year will be more than 10 hours if I try a lower & slower cook.
Oh, and Happy (belated) Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  22gm Bulls White Pegasus, intermediate nylon/Target Carbon Ti Pro stems, Rhino standard flights.
(11-26-2022, 01:19 AM)JayPro Wrote: Every year, I make the turkey, stuffing, and gravy.  My wife cooks the veggies and things are brought by guests.  Everything (IMO) came out better than it has before.  It took about 6 hours for the turkey.  I'm thinking next year will be more than 10 hours if I try a lower & slower cook.

With a 6 hr. cook time I'll assume you smoked yours too.    I usually deep fry them and have upwards of 25 people at the house for T-Day but didn't do that this year, so it was just 4 of us.      When I have that big a crowd I deep fry 3 turkeys in the 13-15 lb. range.

I refused to fry just one 15 lb. turkey that cost me a little over $15 to buy when the oil needed was going to cost me almost $45 in order to cook it.   Just didn't make sense.

I smoked my bird at 250 until it reached 165 degrees in the thighs and 160 in the breast, took it off and covered it to rest for 1/2 hour before carving.   I had brined it for over 24 hours and also injected the bird prior to smoking with my own blend of injection liquid.    

The carcass went in my big stock pot and cooked on the stove overnight and whatever meat is left after tomorrow will be used to make turkey pot pie filling.
gumbo2176
(11-26-2022, 02:24 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 01:19 AM)JayPro Wrote: Every year, I make the turkey, stuffing, and gravy.  My wife cooks the veggies and things are brought by guests.  Everything (IMO) came out better than it has before.  It took about 6 hours for the turkey.  I'm thinking next year will be more than 10 hours if I try a lower & slower cook.

With a 6 hr. cook time I'll assume you smoked yours too.    I usually deep fry them and have upwards of 25 people at the house for T-Day but didn't do that this year, so it was just 4 of us.      When I have that big a crowd I deep fry 3 turkeys in the 13-15 lb. range.

I refused to fry just one 15 lb. turkey that cost me a little over $15 to buy when the oil needed was going to cost me almost $45 in order to cook it.   Just didn't make sense.

I smoked my bird at 250 until it reached 165 degrees in the thighs and 160 in the breast, took it off and covered it to rest for 1/2 hour before carving.   I had brined it for over 24 hours and also injected the bird prior to smoking with my own blend of injection liquid.    

The carcass went in my big stock pot and cooked on the stove overnight and whatever meat is left after tomorrow will be used to make turkey pot pie filling.

Nope.  I blast it at 475 for 20 minutes, then bake at 250 for 20 minutes per pound.  Was just under 18 lbs.  Like 17.98 lbs lol.  I'm looking at doing one at 200.. .that is about 40 - 50 minutes per pound.

I don't have a smoker but want one.  Can't decide between pellet and an offset.  Pellet smokers are more "set 'em and forget 'em" and the offsets or other charcoal/wood fueled smokers take a lot of attention.  I do what I can on my grill using a 'snake' charcoal layout.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  22gm Bulls White Pegasus, intermediate nylon/Target Carbon Ti Pro stems, Rhino standard flights.
I've got 3 smokers now. One is the old fashioned bullet type with 2 racks about 20 inches above the water bowl with the charcoals near ground level. It will easily hold 250 for a good 4 hours before I head out and take the coal pan out to shake out some of the ashes to allow the air to circulate and keep the coals fired up.

Another one is a Masterbuilt rectangular box with the electric heating element and the wood pellet tray with 4 racks for the food. It is pretty much a set it and forget it thing and holds temperature nicely. The only issue I have with it is the wood pellets will burn out in about 1 1/2 hours and need to add more. I plan on getting one of those aftermarket pellet holders that snake them in a stainless steel tray and will smoke for upwards of 5 hours.

My big smoker is one I made and I use it for both cold and hot smoking/cooking. When I cold smoke I can keep the temperature under 90 degrees for things like salmon, cheese and starting my homemade beef jerky. I make my own sausages, jerky and bacon and it has been a lot of fun smoking those things and saving a ton of money doing it to boot. My sausage costs me about $1.25 a lb. to make, beef jerky is way cheaper making it myself and so is bacon that I get the pork belly from Costco, dry brine it for a week and then get it ready to smoke for several hours until done. I will not buy bacon from a store as long as I can make it myself. I can easily do 20 chickens on my homemade smoker if I had to.
gumbo2176
happy thanksgiving to all our friends over the pond. i hope you have a really nice holiday and find some time to throw some darts with your family and friends!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Downplaying Thanksgiving this year gumbo2176 15 372 11-30-2020, 04:01 AM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Turkey Prices as Thanksgiving approaches gumbo2176 4 151 11-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Last Post: O C
  Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian Nutz. Great White North 9 425 10-14-2019, 02:31 AM
Last Post: John Brown
  Happy Christmas and a happy new year Richa 7 385 12-26-2018, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Happy Thanksgiving mc1958 13 862 11-23-2018, 04:16 AM
Last Post: SlingBlade