unicorn

Throwing with eyes closed
Tongue 
I know, I know, sounds inane. I was at the board last night, and decided to throw with eyes closed, just to see what would happen. Lined up normally on the bull, and then prior to drawing back (I go from a straight arm), closed eyes and threw. 

To my surprise, I 'missed' quite consistently after four rounds of 3 darts (I was always slightly high and left), with each group within about 3 inches (of each other) every time. I did not expect any sort of consistency, and it got me wondering if there was anything useful to be gleaned from these consistent 'errors'? I know that, for me, when just shooting for the bull and I miss, it often tends to be high and left (12!), not so much to the right.

Has anyone ever tried this, and were you able to discover anything about your throw that you didn't know before? I suck at darts, and I'm always looking for ways to move to the next level.

Cheers!
I've done the same a few times over the years and with the same results. I throw right handed and if wanting to try to hit the bull with my eyes closed it too tend to go high and to the right most times.

I will say, in my experience, throwing with your eyes closed is no way to try to improve your game. I'd hate to see the damage to my walls if aiming for a double.

Another thing we'd do to show just how one step can alter your perception when throwing darts. Get to the oche, take one small step toward the board or one step back from the oche and see where your darts land if aiming for the Bull.
gumbo2176
I have a hard enough time with my eyes open, I imagine I could really cause a commotion with them closed !
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
I've tried a few months ago but at the treble 20, I was very surprised how close I was getting.   Showed me to trust my form
I could be wrong on this but I believe there is a pretty good reason why we take aim before we throw?
I’ve tried both closed, right eye closed, left eye closed and both eyes open, I have found both eyes open is the best for me.  I’m trying to get use to following through to target and trusting the hand more. Hope someday to know what is the most important thing in getting dart to target. Eyes or Hand or Both but since they have come up with the term hand eye coordination maybe that’s where I need to improve.

Good luck good darts! Keep eyes on the target!
Last set of darts bought 11/29/2022
I hope to try to use this set? 

Be Safe and Good Darts!
(11-24-2022, 07:34 PM)Rijimmyjake Wrote: I’ve tried both closed, right eye closed, left eye closed and both eyes open, I have found both eyes open is the best for me.  I’m trying to get use to following through to target and trusting the hand more. Hope someday to know what is the most important thing in getting dart to target. Eyes or Hand or Both but since they have come up with the term hand eye coordination maybe that’s where I need to improve.

Good luck good darts! Keep eyes on the target!

As with most things that involve throwing things to a target, I strongly believe good hand/eye coordination is a huge plus.   

I'd love to see just how many in the PDC top ranks can throw something like a baseball, football, etc. to a target.    I'd bet it's a huge percent that would do it pretty proficiently.
gumbo2176
I often threw with my eyes closed. But always more as a joke.

But you can "partially blind" yourself by only covering the board. Because the eyes are then no longer occupied with focusing/aiming, it is easier to find the inner focus and to fully engage in your own throw.
Later, you can simply attach larger targets with tape to practise different things.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Throw from beside your head vs inline with eyes? atison 5 1,349 01-20-2018, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Hellion