Cuesoul

Flights pointing down & bouncer problems
Hey guys!

First-time-poster, long time fan here!

I’ve been playing darts on and off for a couple of years now, but since a year or so I started to take it more “serious”…

My setup is a Winmau Blade 6 TC, I’ve made myself a nice oche and stuff, but the biggest problem was to find a decent set of darts. usually I test them in a store, and while I’m there, I can throw good with almost everything they give me, nice grouping on the 20, around t20, doubles going great, and so on…

2 weekends ago I tried the Perfect Nine Brian Raman darts in 24gram (I used to use 22 - 23gram before), and the throw just feels natural!

I used to use L-style carbon stems (size 190), and I’ve got myself some Cuesoul AK5 Rost to test, however, the dart is either at a 90 degree angle, or the flights are pointing a little downwards. With my former sets, they usually pointed a little upwards which I prefer. I still have a nice avg with my newest set (around 55-ish after 15 legs), but I do have way more bouncers than I used to have with my other sets. It seems like I just throw my darts at eachother, and if they hit, the last one just bounces off (I hope I explained it so you can understand). Maybe it’s because of the “harder” flights of the AK5 (before this I used L-style Kami), so I would want to ask you if any of you know something I can try to make my darts land more in an upwards angle, and to have less bouncers? I already use the short cuesoul AK5, so I can’t go any shorter with those. 

Maybe it would be an idea to get longer shafts? Or other ones (like the l-styles I used to use), other points, or whatever? I’ve read somewhere to start with the dart in an upward position in your hand, but I think I already do this.

I’m a bit scared now, since I really love the feel these darts give me, and I love to throw them, but since I also play in a pub league, I’m a bit scared that if I get too many bouncers, I’m going to lose too many games.

If anything isn’t clear, feel free to ask, English isn’t my main language, so there are probably some mistakes in my text.

Thanks in advance!
(11-23-2022, 07:39 PM)Demonaz Wrote: Hey guys!

First-time-poster, long time fan here!

I’ve been playing darts on and off for a couple of years now, but since a year or so I started to take it more “serious”…

My setup is a Winmau Blade 6 TC, I’ve made myself a nice oche and stuff, but the biggest problem was to find a decent set of darts. usually I test them in a store, and while I’m there, I can throw good with almost everything they give me, nice grouping on the 20, around t20, doubles going great, and so on…

2 weekends ago I tried the Perfect Nine Brian Raman darts in 24gram (I used to use 22 - 23gram before), and the throw just feels natural!

I used to use L-style carbon stems (size 190), and I’ve got myself some Cuesoul AK5 Rost to test, however, the dart is either at a 90 degree angle, or the flights are pointing a little downwards. With my former sets, they usually pointed a little upwards which I prefer. I still have a nice avg with my newest set (around 55-ish after 15 legs), but I do have way more bouncers than I used to have with my other sets. It seems like I just throw my darts at eachother, and if they hit, the last one just bounces off (I hope I explained it so you can understand). Maybe it’s because of the “harder” flights of the AK5 (before this I used L-style Kami), so I would want to ask you if any of you know something I can try to make my darts land more in an upwards angle, and to have less bouncers? I already use the short cuesoul AK5, so I can’t go any shorter with those. 

Maybe it would be an idea to get longer shafts? Or other ones (like the l-styles I used to use), other points, or whatever? I’ve read somewhere to start with the dart in an upward position in your hand, but I think I already do this.

I’m a bit scared now, since I really love the feel these darts give me, and I love to throw them, but since I also play in a pub league, I’m a bit scared that if I get too many bouncers, I’m going to lose too many games.

If anything isn’t clear, feel free to ask, English isn’t my main language, so there are probably some mistakes in my text.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome!
I'd say try different flights & length of shafts too see
What does the nose of the dart look like? Does it transition nice and evenly to the point or is it fairly round and considerably larger than the width of the point? If the nose of the dart is relatively flat and considerably wider than the point, then that could be the issue with getting deflections.

To fix this you can order points that have a nice taper at the end that goes into the barrel of the dart, easing the transition.

Personally, I like my darts to enter the board at 90 degree angles to the face. I've never cared for the tail of the dart to be up or down, although some players love it that way. Tail down darts worked out great for some bloke named Phil Taylor who won 16 World Titles and his one-time protege and former World Champion named Adrian Lewis prefers his darts to land in the board tail up. How they land in the board is just personal preference.

Like Crusher mentioned, try different stem and flight combinations or even shift your grip on the dart to another area and see how that works for you.
gumbo2176
And Clayton at a 90 degree angle.

Maybe try bigger flights to change the angle upwards.
Longer points lead to a flatter angle. Longer shafts also do this.
You didn't mention what darts you were using before, but compared to a standard straight barrel dart the Raman's are somewhat back-weighted which could contribute to them landing tail down.
(11-24-2022, 02:33 AM)bkbum Wrote: You didn't mention what darts you were using before, but compared to a standard straight barrel dart the Raman's are somewhat back-weighted which could contribute to them landing tail down.

My former darts were Target Dimitri vdb gen 1. Just a normal straight barrel.
(11-23-2022, 10:35 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: What does the nose of the dart look like?    Does it transition nice and evenly to the point or is it fairly round and considerably larger than the width of the point?        If the nose of the dart is relatively flat and considerably wider than the point, then that could be the issue with getting deflections.

To fix this you can order points that have a nice taper at the end that goes into the barrel of the dart, easing the transition.

Personally, I like my darts to enter the board at 90 degree angles to the face.  I've never cared for the tail of the dart to be up or down, although some players love it that way.    Tail down darts worked out great for some bloke named Phil Taylor who won 16 World Titles and his one-time protege and former World Champion named Adrian Lewis prefers his darts to land in the board tail up.  How they land in the board is just personal preference.

Like Crusher mentioned, try different stem and flight combinations or even shift your grip on the dart to another area and see how that works for you.

The transition between the point and the barrel is very smooth, I was thinking about getting storm points, but they won’t fit, the trident part is probably wider than the nose of the darts. That’s one of the things i love about them! Shifting my grip is rather hard, the dart has a scallop to place my thumb in, but I can try putting my ringfinger there…

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Improve your storm pointing Pac 11 2,836 09-27-2018, 05:52 AM
Last Post: JP Ahinko
  Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 Getagrip 2 2,749 06-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Little al