Cuesoul

3 Minutes Between Turns - Practice For Team Play
Hi Darts Nuts,

I finally joined my first team this season, 6 games in so far, and its going pretty well.  B Division, pretty good time.  The format is:

Singles - best of 5 - various games
Doubles - 501 best of 3
Doubles - Cricket best of 3 (yes in America)
Four person team - sinlge leg of 1001

I am very comfortable playing the singles games, no problem there, but the doubles and teams just destroys my rhythm.  How have all of you practiced, or learned to stay consistent with these massive gaps between throws?

I had to measure last week to see how long it was.  In doubles its about 90 seconds between turns, in teams its more like 3 full minutes.  I'm used to finishing a game of 501 in four or five minutes, so this just totally has me off.

Any thoughts?  I was going to put on a timer, and then go to those long times between turns, and see if that helps.  Its going to be a very disciplined practice to say the least.
I tried using a timer at 30 seconds for singles and it seemed like forever. I can’t imagine setting a timer for 3 minuets and trying to wait for it.  I think for me I’m trying to find a routine at set up may be the way to deal with the delays. I’m no where near having a light switch focus tool in my dart toolbox. I see a lot of pro’s that start tapping the raised oche with their foot which is I guess is away to start the throw. I am also in America and where we play it’s just a sticker on the floor so it’s hard to get that same filling but I have tried.

Good luck on your search.
Last set of darts bought 11/29/2022
I hope to try to use this set? 

Be Safe and Good Darts!
I'd value darts thrown over rhythm replicability in a practice session any day of the week.
When I was playing league darts, part of our format was Doubles Cricket, Doubles 501 and the final match of the session was either a game of 3 person per team 801 or Super Cricket where the 14, 13 and 12 are also used in the game.

What you are describing is what I'd think a rhythm player would go through since they rely on an evenly paced game to keep their darts on track, and usually the quicker the pace, the better. Players like Gary Anderson and Gerwyn Price are often at the oche ready to throw their darts while their opponent is still at the board retrieving their darts.

I prefer to play a nicely paced game with less time between throws, but in doubles and triples matches that just isn't possible so in those instances I try to do my best to "stay within myself" and concentrate on what I want to accomplish when it is my turn to throw. That way I tend to just play the board and not the opponents by not really worrying or thinking about what happened before it was my turn to throw.
gumbo2176
(11-01-2022, 08:19 PM)andrewstevens Wrote: I'd value darts thrown over rhythm replicability in a practice session any day of the week.

What do you mean, total darts over the pace?  I have time to do both though.  If I only have 30 minutes, im with you, practice as many quality thorws as possible, but that has not translated over to those long waits - i mean 3 minutes!
(11-01-2022, 08:44 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: When I was playing league darts, part of our format was Doubles Cricket, Doubles 501 and the final match of the session was either a game of 3 person per team 801 or Super Cricket where the 14, 13 and 12 are also used in the game.

What you are describing is what I'd think a rhythm player would go through since they rely on an evenly paced game to keep their darts on track, and usually the quicker the pace, the better.      Players like Gary Anderson and Gerwyn Price are often at the oche ready to throw their darts while their opponent is still at the board retrieving their darts.

I prefer to play a nicely paced game with less time between throws, but in doubles and triples matches that just isn't possible so in those instances I try to do my best to "stay within myself" and concentrate on what I want to accomplish when it is my turn to throw.  That way I tend to just play the board and not the opponents by not really worrying or thinking about what happened before it was my turn to throw.

Thanks Gumbo.  Its also really hard to stay focused when 1) there are 7 other people crammed around a board, 2) its the end of the night and everyone is finishing up their 5+ drinks, and 3) its a loud smoky bar in most cases.  

I think since i started playing only a few years ago during the Lock Downs - I am used to throwing even faster than on a 1-1 game, just throw, grab, repeat, no waiting at all.  Pace is a tough thing to overcome. 

Similar to overcoming someone actually watching you versus playing Dart Connect. Under rated how another set of eyes pulls that dart into the single 1 segment, isnt it?
I wouldn’t integrate it into my practice session but try and overtrain the situation. If possible put a dartboard somewhere accessible (not stuck out in the garage,) and throughout the day throw three darts each time you walk past it. You will never throw your best darts this way but over a few weeks it will get you used to ‘throwing cold’ and will get you over the mental hurdle of big gaps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pause between turns mtc666 17 634 09-22-2021, 02:26 PM
Last Post: SixGun
  Find a practice partner or team in your area Shane'O' 11 2,451 03-20-2019, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Papa w