Harrows Darts.

Please HELP!
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice in my darts game, any help will be greatly appreciated no matter how small!

Ive been practicing on GoDartsPro for 9 months now for 4 days a week, 1:30-2 hours a day.

For the first 5 months I saw steady improvement in most games and I LOVED playing. I was far from perfect, i had good days and bad days but no matter what happened I always looked forward to playing the next day. The 6th month however saw my results return to what they were at the beginning of practice and the months that have followed have seen then drop further and further each month. I am now at a place where 90% of days are bad days and I am hitting my worst results in games by significant margins in my 8/9th month of practice. It's getting really hard to pick myself up each day. Playing darts means so much to me and after 4 months of abysmal performances its getting me down every time I play.

It's difficult for someone who has only been practicing 9 months to know what is going wrong but here are the only things I can think of.
My throw has changed a lot over time and I think that I must have become sloppy with my technique as I no longer feel comfortable throwing a dart. Im not sure at what pace to throw at, arm placement, grip etc because how I'm doing it doesn't feel right anymore. 
In the 9 months I have edited my practice routines 3 times however, they do not coincide with the drop off.
Confidence, this is though because my confidence dropped because i was playing bad and now I'm playing bad because I have no confidence its a vicious cycle but without playing some decent stuff to build confidence how do you get it back?

If anyone reads this and needs to know more information just let me know. Any help that can be offered would be great or if something similar has happened to you please share so I don't feel like nobody understands what I'm going through.

Thanks for reading x
Sounds like you have just reached your first slump - have a read of this article and see if it helps, or eases your fears:

https://www.dartbase.com/slump.htm
(06-21-2022, 05:55 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Sounds like you have just reached your first slump - have a read of this article and see if it helps, or eases your fears:

That’s pretty good information went ahead and booked marked it. Thanks
Be Safe and Good Darts!
(06-21-2022, 05:55 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Sounds like you have just reached your first slump - have a read of this article and see if it helps, or eases your fears:

Beat me to it. That’s a great read.
Has to be my most posted picture on here from @mc1958 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

just from you saying about pace, throw, grip, arm placement etc. makes me think you could be overthinking everything which I found a big issue.

9 months isnt long in the scheme of things so just relax and dont focus on the constant improvement and stats...sometimes its better to just go with the flow, enjoy your practice and take the general trends

keep us updated anyway bud
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(06-21-2022, 10:21 PM)hamo Wrote: Has to be my most posted picture on here from @mc1958 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

just from you saying about pace, throw, grip, arm placement etc. makes me think you could be overthinking everything which I found a big issue.

9 months isnt long in the scheme of things so just relax and dont focus on the constant improvement and stats...sometimes its better to just go with the flow, enjoy your practice and take the general trends

That URL is linked 22 times.  Who knows how many pics.  I don't. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
It has helped many a newer player along with myself and many ofbthe more senior crowd..pity it cant plan how long the dips last Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(06-21-2022, 05:46 PM)Brownme02 Wrote: Hi all

I'm looking for some advice in my darts game, any help will be greatly appreciated no matter how small!

Ive been practicing on GoDartsPro for 9 months now for 4 days a week, 1:30-2 hours a day.

For the first 5 months I saw steady improvement in most games and I LOVED playing. I was far from perfect, i had good days and bad days but no matter what happened I always looked forward to playing the next day. The 6th month however saw my results return to what they were at the beginning of practice and the months that have followed have seen then drop further and further each month. I am now at a place where 90% of days are bad days and I am hitting my worst results in games by significant margins in my 8/9th month of practice. It's getting really hard to pick myself up each day. Playing darts means so much to me and after 4 months of abysmal performances its getting me down every time I play.

It's difficult for someone who has only been practicing 9 months to know what is going wrong but here are the only things I can think of.
My throw has changed a lot over time and I think that I must have become sloppy with my technique as I no longer feel comfortable throwing a dart. Im not sure at what pace to throw at, arm placement, grip etc because how I'm doing it doesn't feel right anymore. 
In the 9 months I have edited my practice routines 3 times however, they do not coincide with the drop off.
Confidence, this is though because my confidence dropped because i was playing bad and now I'm playing bad because I have no confidence its a vicious cycle but without playing some decent stuff to build confidence how do you get it back?

If anyone reads this and needs to know more information just let me know. Any help that can be offered would be great or if something similar has happened to you please share so I don't feel like nobody understands what I'm going through.

Thanks for reading x
Hello,

I am curious as to what you regard as practice, do you mean playing say 501 matches against a computer program?

Do you perform any skills practice separately from your match play? 

How do you warm-up and for how long?

regards

Dorian
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Wow, that article was amazing! This has helped massively to know that this is a thing that happens and not just me getting worse. It really has motivated me to keep going on plod on. Thank you so much!
(06-21-2022, 10:21 PM)hamo Wrote: Has to be my most posted picture on here from @mc1958 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

You are right I am overthinking everything, trying to make adjustments throw by throw to get it where i want it and it just leads to an over adjustment.

thanks for responding Hamo
Hi Dorian 

I play 3 30 mins sessions on days I play. The first session is where I warm up. I usually take a 15 min break between sessions.

I am not sure what constitutes as skills practice.

Session 2 is a combination of games practicing either scoring or treble specific.
Session 3 is a combination of games practicing either finishing or double specific.
I have 4 routines for the first session (I play 4 days a week so each routine is played once a week) The routines contain differing combinations of;  a bullseye game, singles game, 501 (best of 5 vs CPU) and about 9 other games.

Many thanks

Matty
(06-22-2022, 06:39 PM)Brownme02 Wrote: Hi Dorian 

I play 3 30 mins sessions on days I play. The first session is where I warm up. I usually take a 15 min break between sessions.

I am not sure what constitutes as skills practice.

Session 2 is a combination of games practicing either scoring or treble specific.
Session 3 is a combination of games practicing either finishing or double specific.
I have 4 routines for the first session (I play 4 days a week so each routine is played once a week) The routines contain differing combinations of;  a bullseye game, singles game, 501 (best of 5 vs CPU) and about 9 other games.

Many thanks

Matty
Hi Matty,

You appear to be doing a good mix ....your warm-up should include some stretching too and I assume somewhere in your routines there is purely a doubles practice like 1-20 etc?

PS. Any Yorkshire boards around? Several years ago when working in Bradford a regular Saturday morning treat in the pubs was a pork pie with mushy peas a pint of Yorkshire bitter and a game on the Yorkshire DartboardGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Happy Days!

Cheers

Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(06-23-2022, 03:02 AM)Dorian Wrote: Hi Matty,

You appear to be doing a good mix ....your warm-up should include some stretching too and I assume somewhere in your routines there is purely a doubles practice like 1-20 etc?

PS. Any Yorkshire boards around? Several years ago when working in Bradford a regular Saturday morning treat in the pubs was a pork pie with mushy peas a pint of Yorkshire bitter and a game on the Yorkshire DartboardGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Happy Days!

Cheers
I will ensure to stretch before the warm up, thank you! Yes the doubles session consists of picking 2 doubles to practice in depth and then doing around the board hitting them all 

Not seen a yorkshire board myself but i dont go many places to play
Slumps come and go for me. It depends how much quality time I put in rather than just walking up and tossing a few rounds. I also play the apps which may be misleading in the real world. I mean is a level 10 all that it's cracked up to be? I know I was winning more at a lower level but the competition was not as great. So, I felt I was in a slump not winning against the bot but in a pub I was doing just fine and felt great.