Shot Darts.

History of Fansteel darts?
hi y’all,
As a long time fan of the Laserdarts KC and a recent purchaser of a set of vintage Fansteel KC darts (thanks Johnny!) I am curious to learn more about the history of Fansteel and, in turn, Horizon/laserdarts.

I found this online

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-h...c-history/

Could that be the same Fansteel that made darts?
Does anyone know anything about this company and/or it’s sale to Horizon/Laserdarts?

If so, please post up.

I will post pics of my new-to-me Fansteel KC’s as soon as they arrive.

Cheers,
DRum
Don't know much about it - but the address mentioned in your link:

One Tantalum Place
North Chicago, Illinois 60064
U.S.A.

Matches the box pic on Darren's Fansteel Golden Eagle Darts:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/thread-2635.html

Bret23 in your other thread on this subject - link - seemed knowledgeable on the subject. Bret hasn't been on since Jan of this year.
(02-11-2022, 01:17 AM)nixer55 Wrote: Don't know much about it - but the address mentioned in your link:

One Tantalum Place
North Chicago, Illinois 60064
U.S.A.

Matches the box pic on Darren's Fansteel Golden Eagle Darts:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/thread-2635.html

Bret23 in your other thread on this subject - link - seemed knowledgeable on the subject. Bret hasn't been on since Jan of this year.

That’s an excellent brain you’re working with, Brother.  Thanks!
Amazing looking darts and great find on the intel of these.
Reading the Golden Eagle thread more closely, notice Mc1958 saw the same thing way back in 2013:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/thread-2...l#pid27644

Jumped out at me too, but nice spot MC!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Checked out the link to the old thread and jumped down the rabbit hole a bit further. Decide to check out the link about patents. Still works and was able to look up that Fansteel had 3 separate patents for darts and equipment relating to darts. 

First one is about the grip which was mentioned in the old thread. The next one is for a “dart fletching assembly”, which is the spider leg shafts. I thought that Kwiz came up with these first, so I’m confused how Fansteel got a patent for them. The last one is for a composite barrel made of different types of tungsten brazen together.

Here’s the links to the pictures and descriptions for each patent. 

Composite Dart Body (Original Black Widow Barrel design)
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis....032147.pdf

Dart Fletching Assembly (Spider Leg Shafts)
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis....138113.pdf

Dart Body (Unidirectional Grip/Shark Grip)
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis....212464.pdf

Think this is kinda cool, and thought it was worth sharing. It’s neat to know how much went into these designs from the past. Like the one about the composite barrels, since I have an old set of Black Widows that were made this way. It’s also an old idea that was redesigned for the Winmau Stratos dual core darts.

Darts: Monster Cobra 22g
Backup Darts: Unicorn Klaasen Silver Star 21g
Shafts: L-style Slim In-betweens
Flights: L-style Standards

2020 180’s - 15
2021 180’s - 3
The Highest Checkout: 154
Best 501 Leg: 14 Darts
So my question is does anyone know or have a old box for these darts? I wanted to know if on the box it says 98% tungsten bonded with 95% on the ends. These were gold widows I’m almost sure the box was a laser box but the gold on them was like the gold on Fansteel dart.  Pretty sure it was 1991 when bought and because it was Hawaii they could have been made in late 80’s.

I took the gold coating off by running electric current through dart and dipping in hydrochloric acid. I then silver plated the darts which on the center section which I believed was stated at 98% it bonded very well and is still shows well, while on the ends the silver has warn off over 30 years.

Anyway looking for old picture of box or a simple answer as those pattern docs bit confusing.

Thanks!
Blue Plasma dart with 35mm mission points Cuesoul TRAJ AK8 flights total weight 21g (I think last ones for a while)!!!
May be ending dart run and just move to home practice when I can, Darts take a lot of effort to throw at least for me and commitment may be more than life will allow. 

Be Safe and Good Darts!
(01-04-2023, 06:44 PM)Rijimmyjake Wrote: So my question is does anyone know or have a old box for these darts? I wanted to know if on the box it says 98% tungsten bonded with 95% on the ends. These were gold widows I’m almost sure the box was a laser box but the gold on them was like the gold on Fansteel dart.  Pretty sure it was 1991 when bought and because it was Hawaii they could have been made in late 80’s.

I took the gold coating off by running electric current through dart and dipping in hydrochloric acid. I then silver plated the darts which on the center section which I believed was stated at 98% it bonded very well and is still shows well, while on the ends the silver has warn off over 30 years.

Anyway looking for old picture of box or a simple answer as those pattern docs bit confusing.

Thanks!

I have an original from that time period and a couple of the later versions with Laserdarts on the case in gold. Unfortunately none of them have anything more than "Black Widow", weight, and logo/address.
(01-04-2023, 06:44 PM)Rijimmyjake Wrote: So my question is does anyone know or have a old box for these darts? I wanted to know if on the box it says 98% tungsten bonded with 95% on the ends. These were gold widows I’m almost sure the box was a laser box but the gold on them was like the gold on Fansteel dart.  Pretty sure it was 1991 when bought and because it was Hawaii they could have been made in late 80’s.

Thanks!

I always assumed the end pieces were 90% tungsten. I don't think Fansteel ever said what the exact percentages for either the ends or the center were.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  14 October - Famous Arrows in History Ryk 3 86 10-13-2022, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Dartboard design history SpoonyG 8 1,311 05-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Zeeple
  The FIRST 180 in TELEVISION HISTORY! - 1973 Indoor League Getagrip 13 1,260 05-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Pub
  Vintage set of KC Mullaney Darts by Fansteel Darts. bret23 4 1,493 04-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Mike HermThe
  Fansteel Golden Eagle Darts Very Rare Getagrip 7 8,260 12-01-2014, 10:22 AM
  can some of you history buffs .....? jamie373 9 3,130 09-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Last Post: jamie373
  history of winmau blade dartboards jamie373 22 7,077 09-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  This is a Piece of History- George Silberzhan-Bobby George-John Lowe-Leighton Rees- E Getagrip 0 1,785 03-29-2013, 04:58 PM