Unicorn

who uses shell lock punch system
Been wondering if its worth the money to buy the L-style shell lock punch setup ? The advertising states that it will keep the folding flights at 90 degrees . Can anyone tell me if they work? If so how good? Is it worth it?
I don't think its that great really:

Best off just getting the ready made ones, or the wizlocks.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I didnt like any of the punch systems.
The problem I find with some of them is the flight has to be punched right and some times you can be a little bit off centre.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I use the wizlock caps, and love it, it does not have the flutes in the cap to keep them square but squareness isnt a problem for me as I check them regularly.
Wizlock is alot cheaper but I think the shellock has the lighter cones.
MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's
I won two shell lock punches and a few packs of the caps as part of a box full of darts goodies in a Target 'open the box' competition a couple of Christmas' back. I punched one set of stems and tried them out, but my immediate thoughts were that the caps appeared cheap and crappy, and although they were fluted, I wasn't convinced that they would be altogether effective at keeping the wings of the flight aligned at 90 degrees. I was also of the opinion that they would be better suited to the soft tip game (as steel tips would damage of possibly even robin hood the plastic caps).

Needless to say, from memory I got about £20 plus postage for each of them on eBay lol!
(01-21-2014, 02:52 PM)Getagrip Wrote: The problem I find with some of them is the flight has to be punched right and some times you can be a little bit off centre.
You are correct (as always, cough cough) Grippo, you do need to be spot on but you sorta get the hang of it after a while, if you stuff it up though you just fold the flight out to see which side is out and repunch.
MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's
I use the shell lock system and love it. I think it does do a good job keeping the flights open at a 90 degree angle. I have robin hooded one cone in about six months of use so I don't think that is so bad. And in that same time frame I've only had on flight fall off.

Thanks everyone for the information. This is exactly the information I'm looking for.
After reading what people thought of the champagne, shell lock style caps I opted out of getting them. Besides the cutters are $40+ usd. I went with the fit flight system thanks to getting to try them out from Saber not too long ago. I did a mega order and although spent a ton of money (free money is always a good thing) I am very happy with them. Not that I have to worry about robin hoods, I am not that good a player. I just wanted a system where my flights didn't fall out while I threw them (happened with regular nylon and pro grip nylon stems). Or that the flights were easily put into the stem, alloys have this annoying thing called grip that makes flights hard to install but once in those stems hold those flights like no one's business.
TIP: Try to put Elmer's Glue in your Wizlock caps to make your flights stick better to your nylon shafts.
I have been using the Shell Lock system for about four months now. I did not buy the punch, but I got some pre punched flights from Darting Around. They charge $0.15 to punch any set of flights you buy from them. I was a little disappointed on the 90 degree angle thing as the caps do not keep the flights at 90 degrees and they sometimes put a weird bend in the flights. Overall I think the Shell Lock system is OK, but I don't want to spend 50 bucks for the punch. I just ordered some Intelite shafts nad I'm going to give that a try. I think they will do better at holding the flights at 90 degrees.
Whizlock caps for me. Punch is cheap and I have not had a problem with them.

League High Peg Outs: Monday 160, Tuesday 170, Thursday 170, Friday 160
Got some Whizlock. There are two problems. Firstly they don't fit all the way securely and occasionally they come loose and there is a rattle. Which means they are not as good or in fact worse than standard hole punched flights with rings. Nylon revolving stems/shafts rattle and vibrate quite badly and put me off so I'm sticking with the rings and fit flight system. Also going to try Condor.
I quite like the Condors but wish they were cheaper and easier to get.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many punch their flights? MadMike4 75 10,961 01-23-2020, 12:42 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  L-Style Shell Lock Punch MariusOveras 8 957 02-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  L-Style Champagne 'Punch'. DIY Video on Pg #2 Ancient Darter 15 3,708 07-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Punched flights sans punch KCdartman 5 1,280 03-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Last Post: bk123456
  Grip springs or lock rings?? MadMike4 9 2,273 02-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Last Post: MadMike4
  Whiz Lock and L-Style Shell lock MadMike4 14 4,127 02-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Last Post: MadMike4