Harrows Darts.

Intro from Seattle
Hi all,

It's great to join you!

I first started playing darts in the late 80s when, on a whim (without having played), I picked up a set at a base exchange at Kadena air force base. For a few years I played wherever I found a board, and even got my dad started with the game. But around 1990 or 1991 I let it go and focused my energy on other things. Late this past summer I picked up a set of pub darts at the local and threw them for a bit. The rekindling was immediate. I have been throwing every day since.

I dug out my old brass 14g Accudarts -- that very first set I bought -- and threw them a bit. The old nylon fabric flights were splitting at the edges, and I didn't have a feel for it anymore, but the concentration and relaxation needed, and the "tock, tock, tock" of darts finding the sisal board makes a pleasant pastime during this period when so many people in our culture seem to be going off their rails.

I've acquired 7 or 8 sets in the past couple months, as I've been figuring out how various barrel shapes and stem and flight configurations work for me. I found a configuration of barrels, stems and flights that works great***, so maybe I won't need to buy more for a while. Though... buying darts is a lot of fun, and the cost certainly isn't prohibitive. A small collection doesn't take up much space, either,  so no guilt there.

*** Designa M3 Smoothies barrel-shaped barrels, Nitro-tech medium stems, 100-micron slim flights and Trident points.

One of the reasons I started throwing darts again is that I want to improve my throwing accuracy for the sport of petanque. Developing my skills for that game has been a long, slow challange, partly because the motion is unituitive, and partly because there doesn't seem to be anybody in the world with a mastery of it who will share their wisdom in the English language. But any activity that develops eye-hand coordination also benefits any other activity that requires eye-hand coordination. Already, I've put to use some of the ideas I learned throwing petanque balls to be better at throwing darts than I was 30 years ago. And I've been using my darts to continue polishing certain skills I think apply to both.

I love how the darts industry developed in the past 30 years. CNC machining and other manufacturing advancements bring possibilities in barrel and parts designs that would have seemed fantastical a few decades ago. It's really a great time to take up the game of darts! 

A current interest is to experiment with DIY stippling of my smooth dart barrels to get better grip for more consistency and accuracy. These barrels fly quite well even with the smooth surface, but they are cheap enough that I bought two extra sets to tinker with. Good things can always be made better. I imagined intitially I might use a vibratory engraver to create some roughness, but maybe gently tapping a tungsten carbide-tipped scriber manually will give better results. If anybody has tried this sort of thing before I would appreciate some input on how it went.

Thanks, and I look forward to all the darts-related chatter!

Carl
Hi Carl and welcome aboard Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Welcome!
Nice intro Carl. Welcome Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
'Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hi Carl, welcome to the forums Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

B: 23g   S: Medium   F: Standard   180s: 2/13
Hi and welcome Carl.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
Hi and welcome. I used to play Petanque in college with a good buddy of mine. I am curious: what is the local pub you are referring to in Seattle? And also, did you know there is a steel tip league there that is quite robust with a number of good shoots. One is coming up at Coopers, too, tho I am not real sure when it is happening.
Welcome to the forum Carl and above all else have fun
(11-23-2021, 06:52 PM)Zero Wrote: Hi and welcome.  I used to play Petanque in college with a good buddy of mine.  I am curious:  what is the local pub you are referring to in Seattle?  And also, did you know therThe e is a steel tip league there that is quite robust with a number of good shoots.  One is coming up at Coopers, too, tho I am not real sure when it is happening.
Thanks! I visit The Old Pequliar in Ballard quite a bit. I think Emerald City Darts Organization must be the league you mean. The Old Pequliar is the home pub for two of those teams. I have to start going to these pubs when the league teams are playing and connect with them.
Welcome to the forum and may the darts be with you
I like your intro  - and it’s great to see you’re going Nutz.  Ask all the questions you like - the Nutz are fully capable of answering them - at length ad naseum and with a variety that will leave you in awe….or reaching for the strong stuff in the liquor cupboard…not such a bad outcome actually.  LOL!  Welcome to the forum and the Nutz.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hello, welcome to the forum.

Darts: Monster Cobra 22g
Backup Darts: Unicorn Klaasen Silver Star 21g
Shafts: L-style Slim In-betweens
Flights: L-style Standards

2020 180’s - 15
2021 180’s - 3
The Highest Checkout: 154
Best 501 Leg: 14 Darts
Welcome to the forum and may the darts be with you
Hello and welcome.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b with kite flights + 41 mm nylon stems (flying well, debating on sticking with these).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 18 to 26 grams.
Welcome along Carl,
DARTS-Unicorn Taylor Phase 5 / Target Gen1 26g (why change for something else that probably doesn't work lol)
SHAFTS-Target power gen 1 short
FLIGHTS-Crafty Cockney
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond (for practice)
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board (for a laugh)
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet,"Ockeys" Oche,Target Corona surround light
HOWAY THE LADS Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Start your intro with a new thread! nixer55 0 309 03-01-2021, 12:59 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  For new people, give this a read before doing an intro... Regulatori 315 84,474 03-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Getagrip