Unicorn

Unicorn Lowe’s with no Signature
Recently acquired these John Lowe bomb shaped darts. Look like Lowe’s to me, have the right number of rings, are roughly 35mm long and have the wider rear like most old Unicorn darts. Here’s where it gets weird they weigh 23g and are 8.75mm wide. 

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Looked in the Unicorn Books of Darts to try and figure it out and got more confused. I believe Lowe’s darts came out in 1978, in the 79 book they are only available in 21g. First time I see them in 23g is in the 83 book, listed as 90% tungsten. Then in the 85 and 88 books the 23g has an asterisk and lists them as 80% tungsten. Then in 1990 is when they started adding the autograph signature on the barrels. I have a set of those and they are 38mm long and about 7mm wide. 

So my question is are they real Lowe’s and why would they change the tungsten on just the 23g model those few years. I get why the 23g and 25g models are now longer, so the barrel diameter stays the same. I’m guessing these are 80% tungsten by how wide they are. 

Here’s a pic of the barrels (set in the middle) next to some 21g and the longer 23g Lowe’s.

Darts: Monster Cobra 22g
Backup Darts: Unicorn Klaasen Silver Star 21g
Shafts: L-style Slim In-betweens
Flights: L-style Standards

2020 180’s - 15
2021 180’s - 3
The Highest Checkout: 154
Best 501 Leg: 14 Darts
Sorry,cant answer your question, maybe it s the 80% Version?
That's a similar dart as my unknown set.

My version measure 31 x 8mm @20g

Looking at them, I've modded them at some point as the grip is not as deep as they should be.  I reckon they started life @21g and a similar diameter as yours..  only the length is a good deal shorter..

I've only ever seen John Lowes at 35mm or 38mm..

Guessing what we have are technically not John Lowe.

Darts - Custom Made - 24mm Barrel/Swiss Points  --  Dart Weight - 18.0g throwing
Stems - Mission Titan Fox Titanium 32mm  --  Flights - Designa Mini
Board - Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core  --  Light - Homemade LED Dimmer Ring
180's - Lost count  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   --  Highest Shot out - 170
Best sequence thrown - 9 Perfect Darts in practice

(11-18-2021, 08:32 PM)volla Wrote: Sorry,cant answer your question, maybe it s the 80% Version?

I was thinking the same, the length seems to be right.

Maybe they are the 80 % version from 85 to 88 ? not sure.

Had a quick nosey, because, i wasnt sure about the normal dimensions.

https://www.a-zdarts.com/darts/steel-tip...-%207.94mm
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b with kite flights + 41 mm nylon stems (flying well, debating on sticking with these).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 18 to 26 grams.
(11-19-2021, 06:40 PM)Phil D Wrote:
(11-18-2021, 08:32 PM)volla Wrote: Sorry,cant answer your question, maybe it s the 80% Version?

Thanks everyone for the replies and feed back. Think you guys are right, it’s probably the 80% version. 

Since Phil D sent the link I check the listed dimensions, shows 7.94mm for diameter. I must have made a slip up and hit a seven instead of eight in my OP listing the diameter as “ almost 7mm”. I went back and measured my 21g and 23g signature sets to double check. The 21g are showing 7.87 and 23g are 7.92 so almost 8mm, not 7mm.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Looked on Darts Corner for a set of similar dimensions and noticed the Harrows Bombers are 85% tungsten, 23g are 35.75mm by 8.53mm. Similar looking darts, but the rings don’t line up the same. 

Would have to say these are definitely Unicorns, since the rear of the barrel where the stem threads in is 6.35mm wide. And the fact that the rings line up perfectly with the 21g Lowe’s. 

Darts: Monster Cobra 22g
Backup Darts: Unicorn Klaasen Silver Star 21g
Shafts: L-style Slim In-betweens
Flights: L-style Standards

2020 180’s - 15
2021 180’s - 3
The Highest Checkout: 154
Best 501 Leg: 14 Darts
When Unicorn first introduced multiple weights in the Lowe range the 23g version was the same diameter as the original 21g but longer, the 25g version was the same length as the 21g but wider, and the 27g version was both longer and wider then the 21g. They subsequently decided to make all weights the same diameter and change only the length. That original short 25g version was one of my favorite darts.
(11-19-2021, 08:17 PM)JerseyJon Wrote:
(11-19-2021, 06:40 PM)Phil D Wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies and feed back. Think you guys are right, it’s probably the 80% version. 

Since Phil D sent the link I check the listed dimensions, shows 7.94mm for diameter. I must have made a slip up and hit a seven instead of eight in my OP listing the diameter as “ almost 7mm”. I went back and measured my 21g and 23g signature sets to double check. The 21g are showing 7.87 and 23g are 7.92 so almost 8mm, not 7mm.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Looked on Darts Corner for a set of similar dimensions and noticed the Harrows Bombers are 85% tungsten, 23g are 35.75mm by 8.53mm. Similar looking darts, but the rings don’t line up the same. 

Would have to say these are definitely Unicorns, since the rear of the barrel where the stem threads in is 6.35mm wide. And the fact that the rings line up perfectly with the 21g Lowe’s. 

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/p5Gc2fol.jpg]

Noticed these today, in the red dragon catalogue (that  dropped through my door the other day) 80 % tungsten 21 g and 35.6 mm x 8 mm for dimensions, a ring less, but, a lowe kind of dart (bomb shaped).

https://www.reddragondarts.com/swingfire-2-21-gram

Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b with kite flights + 41 mm nylon stems (flying well, debating on sticking with these).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 18 to 26 grams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harrows signature player darts? MarcTH 4 457 03-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Angel of darts
  Rick Ney Signature americanhelper 3 811 03-03-2020, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Siskababa
  signature help lovejoy 8 3,317 05-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Last Post: lovejoy
  John Lowe 1990 Golden Signature Series Wazza 6 4,166 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Last Post: rockettman