Shot Darts

Elbow jumping up - how to correct it?
Hey Guys

I've already posted this in another thread, but I think I'm reaching more people here.

I think my throw is quite passable, but my elbow always jumps up at the end.

I've been working on preventing it for weeks, but I'm just not getting anywhere. Every time I throw a dart, my elbow jumps up. Almost no one in the pros does it, so I think it's important that I can get rid of it, even when everybody has "their own throwing motion".

I play for a little less than 8 months now, so i think i should still be able to change it...

Does anyone have any tips for me on what I could try to keep it down? 

Here's my throw  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Are you hitting what you are throwing at?

That's the real question that needs dealing with.

Darts - Custom Made - 24mm Barrel/Swiss Points  --  Dart Weight - 18.0g throwing
Stems - Mission Titan Fox Titanium 32mm  --  Flights - Designa Mini
Board - Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core  --  Light - Homemade LED Dimmer Ring
180's - Lost count  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   --  Highest Shot out - 170
Best sequence thrown - 9 Perfect Darts in practice

Removed first post - unnecessary duplicate.

Like @ZoenHofland's question.  Which is the main point anyway. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I believe you are a bit mistaken when saying "almost none of the pros do it". If you watch the videos of the pros throwing, especially a side view like the video you posted, you will see many of them having their elbows rise up on release.

Most times you see them throw on TV the camera angle is more from the front and it is not quite as obvious.

Like already mentioned, are you hitting your target? Throwing darts is not about "looks", it's about hitting what you're aiming at and I've seen some pretty wonky throws by amateurs and pros over the years that can do just that, but not look real good doing it.

Not everybody has a throwing motion like Steve Beaton, Raymond van Barneveld or Ted Hankey-----three of the smoothest throws in the pro ranks.
gumbo2176
Your elbow with naturally go up when you straighten your arm, i just watched 3 Pro's throwing Anderson, Lewis & Barney all 3 there elbow goes up when they release the dart, if you kept the elbow low and tried not to raise it, i'm pretty sure your darts would be going in the wall below the board
(11-15-2021, 03:20 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Your elbow with naturally go up when you straighten your arm, i just watched 3 Pro's throwing Anderson, Lewis & Barney all 3 there elbow goes up when they release the dart, if you kept the elbow low and tried not to raise it, i'm pretty sure your darts would be going in the wall below the board
Thanks for all of your answers!

As i said im pretty new to the sport, and some guys at my local club said my elbow should‘t jump like that - and as i like to learn from people with more experience, i took that to my heart...

And because i didn‘t get to the point where the arm doesn‘t look upwards, i thought i‘d write here, as i always like the variety of opinions around here.

I think for my time of playing i‘m not that bad so i think i‘ll just continue the way i am.. Sometimes it‘s not that easy because where i live, there‘s not really someone to ask haha.

So again, thank you for your feedback!
Just my $.02 on the matter. I believe there will always be wanna b pro's in the room trying to give their opinion but like it's been said here, if you are hitting your mark then to hell with what others say that you are playing with, do what feels right to you.
(11-15-2021, 07:07 PM)joelinho95 Wrote: ... and some guys at my local club said my elbow should‘t jump like that ...

You really should ignore this advice and these guys as mentors.
It's completely normal if not even necessary that you elbow move up else you hit the floor rather the board Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Try to record your throw in slow motion and a closer shot to your arm motion.
You'll then most likely see that your elbow is rising after you've released the dart.
And once the dart is released you're free to do what ever crazy motion you want since it won't affect your throw.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Started playing darts again in the beginning of July 2017 (after years of no darts at all).
Created and launched the website GoDartsPro.com in September 2017

180's
2021 - 316/200!!!
2020 - 147/200
2019 - 89/200
2018 - 168/100
2017 - 38

Highest checkout - 158

Playing with:
Steel-tip: Red Dragon Rouge 24, 
Winmau Vanguard 24g, Winmau Danny Noppert, Winmau Mark Webster, Winmau Simon Whitlock

Soft-tip: Harrows Magnum 97% 18g

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elbow help! JamesS97180 3 301 04-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  Is my elbow ok? Troll 4 477 09-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  elbow bdebbane 3 509 05-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: bdebbane
  elbow up? Spike Adams 6 1,069 07-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Devil 10
  Elbow pit Troll 6 1,068 01-24-2017, 07:38 AM