Shot Darts

how to cut old dartsboard
Video 
Hi, I saw on internet some guys cut in half a old dartsboard to make shelf or dartsboard holder.
The big problem is to cut sisal without any fiber go out and make a messy.

Do you have any idea?
For now I thinked to:
- remove metal spider
- cut sisal with a sharp knife
After I tried to cut a bottom of dartboard without jigsaw but all sisal went out!
Setup:
22g Designa Dark Thunder V2

Winmau Blade 5
Winmau champion's choice 2

Stats 2021:
180's: 20
Best checkout: 130
Avg 501: 49.95
As all the sisal is packed together the moment you cut it's gonna release, only thing i can think of is maybe a hacksaw, cut so far & try glueing it some how as you go, maybe spray adhesive
(11-02-2021, 04:49 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: As all the sisal is packed together the moment you cut it's gonna release, only thing i can think of is maybe a hacksaw, cut so far & try glueing it some how as you go, maybe spray adhesive
I'm thinking to divide sisal from wood and cut seperaly and glue together after the cut, but if think isn't possible...
Setup:

Winmau Blade 5

Stats 2021:
About 2 minutes in this lot cut a board open - obviously you would need to tidy it up once cut. If you do try it then remember to take off the number ring first!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHhVvABLV8
I think the sisal is under compression by the outer band of metal, so, probably no matter what you do, it will likely expand (Like Crusher said).

Saw a picture / post (somewhere or other) about someone who made a coffee table though, it looked kinda cool.

If i remember rightly, i think, they coated the board with fiber glass resin, to create a working surface and didnt cut it.

That might not work though if you cut the board in half, i guess it might do, if you can get the resin slightly runny and lay it on its back, so, it soaks into the sisal as it dries (it might actually bond it a bit, or, maybe some other kind of glue might, am not sure, what type though).

Think it will have to be good glue, to hold it all together, it may need some trial and error as well.

If you do manage to cut one in half, its probably worth trying to fit a band on the straight edge (i am guessing, as well) and attach it to the arched piece of original banding.

I suspect it might be quite difficult to do, but, might be worth while, if your determined enough.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b with kite flights + 41 mm nylon stems (flying well, debating on sticking with these).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 18 to 26 grams.
Might be an idea to cut from the back of the board first, then from the front.

Carefully mark a line so that it goes through the Bull.

Darts - Custom Made - 24mm Barrel/Swiss Points  --  Dart Weight - 18.0g throwing
Stems - Mission Titan Fox Titanium 32mm  --  Flights - Designa Mini
Board - Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core  --  Light - Homemade LED Dimmer Ring
180's - Lost count  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   --  Highest Shot out - 170
Best sequence thrown - 9 Perfect Darts in practice

I recall a member, Jugger, trying to do this few years back and got so frustrated he either blew it apart or used it for bow practice.
I imagine at best, it could be interesting !!!
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
(11-02-2021, 05:08 PM)Phil D Wrote: I think the sisal is under compression by the outer band of metal, so, probably no matter what you do, it will likely expand (Like Crusher said).

Saw a picture / post (somewhere or other) about someone who made a coffee table though, it looked kinda cool.

If i remember rightly, i think, they coated the board with fiber glass resin, to create a working surface and didnt cut it.

That might not work though if you cut the board in half, i guess it might do, if you can get the resin slightly runny and lay it on its back, so, it soaks into the sisal as it dries (it might actually bond it a bit, or, maybe some other kind of glue might, am not sure, what type though).

Think it will have to be good glue, to hold it all together, it may need some trial and error as well.

If you do manage to cut one in half, its probably worth trying to fit a band on the straight edge (i am guessing, as well) and attach it to the arched piece of original banding.

I suspect it might be quite difficult to do, but, might be worth while, if your determined enough.

Yes, I'm trying different strategy, but the result isn't nice at all...
Setup:

Winmau Blade 5

Stats 2021:
(11-02-2021, 05:46 PM)ZoenHofland Wrote: Might be an idea to cut from the back of the board first, then from the front.

Carefully mark a line so that it goes through the Bull.

this is a good idea...but the back is really thin for my cercular saw...
Setup:

Winmau Blade 5

Stats 2021:
New idea, put the board in clamps so when it cuts it doesn't come apart, if you could get some thin metal strap/strips, slide them into the cut, have it long enough to screw one side to the outside of the board,, have it tight enough screw the other side, might keep everything together, maybe dont cut throught the back until you know
Get two metal dividers, about 1/8 flat bar should do it. Sharpen one edge on both pieces. Hammer them down through the middle of the board leaving 1/8 between them and so they are flush with the top of the sisal. Make sure that they are hammered so the sharp edge goes into the backing board just a little. Turn the board over and cut with a circular saw or table saw set at the correct depth of the backer only. Your also going to have to cut the band, sounds tricky. Cross your fingers. Maybe attach the middle piece to the half ring with some sheet metal with epoxy or screws, or both so the sisal does not want to push the new metal edge over. Just a thought of how I'd do it.
Harrows Black ICE 24gr
Harrows Dimplex 26gr
Harrows 23gr Powerpoints
Magic Darts 25gr w/Powerpoints"