Unicorn

Conversion Point Opinions
Hi All

What's your recommendations on Conversion points when you need them, that are available, preference and reasons why? Any I haven't tried that mimic dimensions and weight of soft tip let me know Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I bought an array of conversion tips over time when I play on the Steel tip board.  I bought Winmau carbon fibre, Target and some more expensive L Style Hard lip points. 

Also using some o rings The L style mimicked the lightness and feel and shape of the the standard soft tip point and could be confused slightly with one even the weight was very light. All was well until basically after few weeks the threads disintegrate. Anyone else found this don't seem to have enough length on the threads? using 14g-16g barrels just the odd practice nothing heavy. Was hoping they lasted much longer being most expensive.

The standard Target and some other unbranded were much bulky and heavier although durable but crude design in comparison.

I'm back to my Winmau Carbon thread and steel points , not as light but very durable they were reasonable priced but they have gone up considerably in price and don't seem available in Uk online stores for some reason this year. I did bag some from Spain around 3 Euro a pack which was a bargain last week.

Cheers All
Darts : Andy Fordham 16g Onyx Soft Tip Barrels
Steel Tips: Winmau Steel /Carbon Conversion Points
Softip: Target Pixel Tips
Stems: Harrows Supergrip 
Flights: Pear Shaped
Board: Winmau Blade 4
You might want to check out the new Shot! conversion points Getagrip mentions in his post earlier today. I think I remember lightness being one of their attributes. And both versions--Crown and Overlock--look cool, too.

I haven't seen the price yet, though. . . .
I dont play soft tip, but, have been toying with the idea of using some soft tip barrels and conversion points for a good while now (as a light set of darts, to use, for steel tip playing).

I kinda like the look of the mission titanium conversion points the smooth scallopy ones (they kinda have a bit of a look of a front scallop to me) I vaguely recall them being quite durable, on an old thread (If i remember rightly, someone was having problems with split conversion points, from hitting the thin board wires, with the conversion points they had previously tried, people replying, seemed to like these, as well as me, because, of the durability of them).

These are the type i fancy, myself (because, of the reasons I have mentioned) think they are light as well, by the looks.

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/mission-ti...gLjbvD_BwE

Did a little bit of a google of the nutz site (for previous posts, linked, some of them below, as it interests me, as well, for my own, future reference, there`s probably a few more threads as well).

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=34417

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=32561

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=18684

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33998

Think if and when i try some, for serious use, I will probably go for some with a smooth transition (not stepped (squared) for a tool to fit, rightly, or, wrongly i think / suspect, that type might cause flight damage and or deflections). I do have some of those basic types already, but, just as something to use for now (not as a set i would stick with, for long term use) as, i dont have any nice tungsten soft tip barrels, just some cheap 16 gram brass ones, to have a mess about / experiment with, for now, thats as far as ive got.

I also like the idea, that the point, can be changed without a re repointing tool, using soft tip barrels and that potentially some barrels look to be reversible, if they have a 2ba thread, at either end.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b with kite flights + 41 mm nylon stems (flying well, debating on sticking with these).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 18 to 26 grams.
I found the best solution for me was to sharpen the soft tips I use (fit points). Mainly because I play on a tiled floor and it's not convenient for me to put down a mat or rug.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Sharpening them means they wont damage the bristle board like blunt tips will and also means they dont chip or blunt themselves on my tiles. Also, it means I am throwing exactly the same thing as when I play soft tip so no readjustment needed. I probably dont get the same grip as I would with steel or carbon but I dont notice any difference tbh. I mostly only practice on steel tip so its not that big an issue anyway. I have a set of metal convertors which I use if playing steel tip outside the house. I forget the brand but I find I readjust to them easily.
one80 reflex conversion points are worth a try - The lack of mass of a soft tip barrel can produce a converted dart that lacks the penetration into the sisal if you have a throw which can be described as light/soft/weak.
You may need to be a bit more careful removing the darts from the board -
one80 have a new version which is halfway between the original reflex (1.5mm) and the tradition steel tip (2.35mm) at just 2.00mm - and they are much closer to a traditional steel tip but they have a bit of flex to them.

Be aware that you can get conversion points in 2ba and No5 soft tip thread sizes - so always double check before you buy them.

If you want sleek lookers then Cosmo Metal Fit points are very much at the expensive end, but very pretty especially on a stiletto styled arrow link -> https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/thread-34214.html - (That should link to a Cosmo Juggler 3rd review I hope - a few pictures in the top post.)

And Metal Fit Points come in two flavours of metal -- Lighter Titanium or heavy Stainless Steel - The light Titanium ones will scratch up very quickly though when you clip the wires of the board.
A Slightly more affordable option would be the Mission Titan points which are light titanium and some come with radial grooves too.
Ryk is currently using:-
 Arrows - 16g Harrows Girls Lolita (Reflex C type):: Stems - Edgeglow Purple Short :: Flights - Rie Hoshino Marathon :: - Winmau Blade 6
::
I got these Unicorn Gold Hero T95 soft tip barrels off the old Darts Corner site. They’re the only soft tip barrels I own. At the time of buying them I got some 30mm mission conversion points. These are perfect for me as they have a little finger tip grip section with micro grip. They’re not the prettiest things but seem to work well.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks all for your info I will look into this! I like all suggestions as new info to me. I will look into the sizes Ryk maybe I overlooked this. Also Chrisbck the sharpening is a nice improvisation. Over next month or two I'll see what I can get my and see how I go. Phil D, I also started picking up some Tungsten 14-16g Barrels cheap in the Sale specially on Darts corner for some nice Tungsten Retro products and ebay around 2003-2006 stock as I also started with Brass for when I went on holiday as was luck of the draw finding Steel or Soft board to play on.
Hard Lips - they get blunt quickly.
Target titanium points - they get blunt in the end.
Other titanium points that I haven't tried - I reckon they get blunt.
Winmau carbon points - the metal tip will fall out of the carbon thread. Light points otherwise.
Normal conversion points with the metal tip - will last much longer. The aluminium base makes the point significantly lighter than the brass thread does. There are also points that have the drilled thread - they're lighter, almost as light as the titanium points.
One80 reflex points - I guess they're a good choice. One of my mates is using them. I haven't weighed them, they look light though.
Reversed M3 points - they are probably the heaviest points I've ever tried (dead end...).
Common soft tips (Cosmo FPP etc.) - you usually don't need to brush them. They get sharpen themselves after a few throws (and bend in the end).

That's my observation from years ago. If you want to play the steel tip darts, buy yourself some good steel darts. The balance is more important than the weight. If you're playing mostly soft tips and want to practice on a sisal dartboard at home, then you can use the normal plastic tips (unless your board is too hard). The dartboard won't be too happy, and the points will break now and then, other than that it is an option too. I used to use those normal plastic tips on the sisal for the first several years when I started playing darts competitively 20+ years ago. Back then I was thinking that soft tips is the only official kind of darts that is being played competitively. No sisal dartboards at the pubs here, only the electronic machines (back then).
Thanks Elevendarter, and your comments about Softip resonate with me but in reverse  as where I live and grew up Sisal was in majority of bars n pubs and on TV but when on Holiday abroad Soft Tip was popular so had the odd dabble a few times and then a  few years went by and a Darts Live Event "The World" advertisement caught my eye...... they kept playing in intervals at a Live PDC sisal event The PDC Grand slam and after looking that up I discovered the Soft Tip side of the world Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Then The Target Nexus came out few years after and I guess alot more people aware here now.
I originally was playing with a 31mm barrel and wanted something shorter.. I decided that, that option was a Soft Tip barrel, namely a Dum Dum style of dart...

I opted for the Unicorn brand and the barrel measured 25mm in length.   Finding a Conversion Point that didn't add to the length of the barrel was my aim, so opted for Target Titanium Points.  The Points were concave at the dart nose and to be fair these worked well for 9 months..

Then suddenly overnight, the grip of the dart vanished and throwing became very awkward (dart would slip off my finger and fall to the floor)..   I rest the nose of the dart to my 3rd finger with the dart point over my nail.  At this point, I looked at other Conversion Points and tried some others..  

The One80's were so shiny, they just refused to stay snuggled to my finger.. any other Points tried just added to the length of the barrel.

I'm now back to normal pointed darts...  Using Swiss Points now.

Darts - Custom Made - 24mm Barrel/Swiss Points  --  Dart Weight - 17.2g throwing
Stems - Shanghai Satin Nylon 34mm  --  Flights - Designa Mini
Board - One80 Gladiator II  --  Light - Homemade LED Dimmer Ring
180's - Lost count  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   --  Highest Shot out - 170
Best sequence thrown - 9 Perfect Darts in practice

I like that style Zoen There some Dum Dums in the sale atm I may grab. I like Peter manley’s which are kinda Dum Dum style I grabbed some Unicorn Gold another bargain last month.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=16g+du...tgSFTI-woM
Here are a few Conversion Points that I've tried. As with my grip, i need a dart that can lay right up to my finger as in this old picture with a Steel tip version of dart.

Very similar to a John Lowe style of grip and that's really down to the length of barrel, you don't have that many options to holding a short barrel.  As you can see from this image, the dart nose is using the 3rd finger as a resting point.  I've tried various Conversion Points over 9 months and nothing is really compatible with my grip.

The beauty of Soft Tip Darts is the ability to switch which end of the darts that you want the Stems and Points to be attached.  Alters the balance point on these Dum Dum darts also.

The Points above (bottom of the 2) are the Reflex Points, the nose cone is so shiny that there is no grip whatsoever, the darts just fell out of my hand whilst still sighting the dart to be thrown.. completely useless.

These last Conversion Points felt the best to use, but never felt perfect for my grip.  Target Titanium and the lower is a L Style points (kind of a rubbery texture, quite soft).

Darts - Custom Made - 24mm Barrel/Swiss Points  --  Dart Weight - 17.2g throwing
Stems - Shanghai Satin Nylon 34mm  --  Flights - Designa Mini
Board - One80 Gladiator II  --  Light - Homemade LED Dimmer Ring
180's - Lost count  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   --  Highest Shot out - 170
Best sequence thrown - 9 Perfect Darts in practice

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Online Board Play Opinions Stealth501 7 183 10-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Last Post: The Renegade
  Swiss point conversion dempower 5 869 01-27-2020, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  TIGA Hyper Point or CONDOR Ultimate Point Ancient Darter 6 1,750 07-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Last Post: LKH9
  One80 reflex conversion point izzat rahman 2 1,281 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Last Post: kungfuron
  Need Impressions/Opinions/Recommendations - Harrows Barrel, soft tips AngryIceCream 31 9,044 06-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: AngryIceCream