Target Darts.

Bad league match
Just got home from a bad league match. We lost 8-2. I felt like my throw was falling apart and couldn’t throw straight, hitting random shots all around the board. As I said before I get sweaty and start to tremble. I thought I could play through this but it seems not. Also I couldn’t tune out the people chatting in German behind me which put me off for some reason. At the end the captain was really pissed off and implied we weren’t playing outlet best. We were but it just wasn’t happening. I also too the day off work so I could play so that really hurt to be honest. I just get nervous in big groups that’s just how it is. I always want to win but today it just wasn’t happening! And I/we can play well, we have before. This was my first match since corona so that doesn’t help. No, I don’t play regularly with other people which doesn’t help but finding the time and motivation is hard especially if I’m just going to lose. Didn’t want to fall out with teammates so said bye and left. How do we build from this as a team? This kind of thing must happen all the time. And how on Earth do you craft a consistent throw? Today I felt like packing it in and just throwing at home to be honest.
Also forgot to mention that I scored three games (in German) and starting making mistakes in the third one and ended up yelling at everyone to be more patient. I’m not that good at maths in English so in German it’s really hard!! Does anyone else find scoring to be quite tiring?
Wow.. that sounds painful..

You win as a Team, you lose as a Team is a good way to look at this situation.

If your Captain is taking this too seriously, maybe look for a more relaxed Team to play with..  A good well balanced Team of like minded players will do you a good favour... A Team you can totally feel relaxed with..  

I used to tremble when I first began, you get over this the more confidence you acquire, sounds like some of your Teammates expect more from you which doesn't help matters..  the feeling of letting the Team down etc with just not help in any way..

If the Captains choose who you play, then ask him to put you against someone of similar abilities, this will help you gain more confidence.  If it's a blind draw (best of luck)..

You Captain is there to help you progress in the Team.

Darts - Custom Made - 24mm Barrel/Swiss Points  --  Dart Weight - 17.2g throwing
Stems - Shanghai Satin Nylon 34mm  --  Flights - Designa Mini
Board - One80 Gladiator II  --  Light - Homemade LED Dimmer Ring
180's - Lost count  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   --  Highest Shot out - 170
Best sequence thrown - 9 Perfect Darts in practice

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think he was meaning to be malicious but it was hard to not feel a bit annoyed by what he said. He played really well and I was pleased but the others just couldn’t do it today. I actually think we have a good mix of players but we haven’t quite gelled as a team for some reason. Perhaps another team would be better… And as for the trembling I just don’t know what to do. how the pros do it in stage I have no idea….
(09-10-2021, 10:46 PM)Ed180 Wrote: Thanks for the reply. I don’t think he was meaning to be malicious but it was hard to not feel a bit annoyed by what he said. He played really well and I was pleased but the others just couldn’t do it today.  I actually think we have a good mix of players but we haven’t quite gelled as a team for some reason. Perhaps another team would be better… And as for the trembling I just don’t know what to do. how the pros do it in stage I have no idea….

We all have bad days, not one player on the planet can play their best darts every match..

You look at Martin 'Wofie' Adams from the BDO, he has trembled all his life when throwing..

Darts - Custom Made - 24mm Barrel/Swiss Points  --  Dart Weight - 17.2g throwing
Stems - Shanghai Satin Nylon 34mm  --  Flights - Designa Mini
Board - One80 Gladiator II  --  Light - Homemade LED Dimmer Ring
180's - Lost count  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   --  Highest Shot out - 170
Best sequence thrown - 9 Perfect Darts in practice

That’s true. I didn’t know that about wolfie will have to investigate further. What imhoping is that as a team we can use this to improve ourselves and drive ourselves forwards…
I feel for you. It’s a hard situation. I suggest that you have a frank talk with your teammates, and come up with some goals for the season (aside from trying to win the league, which may or may not be a realistic objective). Let your teammates know that you’ll always give it your best, but that it may take some time before you get over match nervousness. Make it a goal to keep your focus on the good throws you have, not the misses, or to know your outs above a certain number before you start your turn and be proud that you knew what to throw at even if you didn’t manage to hit those numbers. And most of all, try to get better at just having fun and relaxing during a match, because that will help you and your teammates worry less about winning being the primary reason for being in the league.
I’m a pretty competitive person when it comes to games, and I don’t like to lose — but I also want my league to be someplace where we have some laughs, hang out with friends, and are good sports when we lose.
Thanks for your replies. We’re going to have training on Thursday and will need to talk then. I played so badly probably not even 20 average in one leg. Don’t want to destroy my love of the darts…. Was trying to relax and enjoy the match - breathing calmly, trying not to overthink but it didn’t seem to work on that occasion. I know I can play- last month I had a 7 dart leg of 301 against my girlfriend but that was at home without all the distractions of noise, strangers around etc….
I didn't see any mention of how long you've been playing or what division you're playing in league, such as "Beginner, Intermediate, Top League.

Nerves can be an issue after a long hiatus from throwing competitive darts for many people, so don't beat yourself up too much over that.

Your team Captain sounds a bit like a jerk, especially if his darts weren't stellar during that match and more in line with how the team threw overall, and with an 8-2 loss, sounds like not many players hit the mark.

Have you given any thought to on-line darts where you play against players from all over the globe? It really doesn't take much equipment to get started and allows you to play competitive darts against real opponents. Then there's the option of playing against aps designed to simulate games that can be programmed for different difficulty levels that will push you if you find nobody to play against.

As you likely know, darts can be a funny, and cruel game. I know I've seen nights where the darts flow like they were aimed with a scope and other times it is chase the doubles down to D-1 and hope my opponent misses more than I do.

I've found with time, and experience, the nerves go away--------------------or at least lessen to enough of a degree that they aren't really an issue and that only comes with doing it over and over under real playing conditions.

Just go do your best and if the losses keep coming, perhaps a lesser division of league play will help build confidence and get you more comfortable when playing, and with that confidence you can move up into the tougher divisions.
gumbo2176
One thing I have noticed is that tension is created when you want things to be different then they are.  It's like the chinese finger puzzle, the more you try to pull your finger out, the harder it is.  So when you are in one of those situations, just being aware and noticing what is happening, will allow the conditions to change, it's easier to relax when you are not trying to change what is wrong.  Also, unless you are a pro and it's you job, this is what we do for fun, so enjoy, this is your FUN TIME.  

I moved to a place where there is no Dart League, not even if I drive for an hour, I really miss all the experiences of playing in a leauge, including losing, LOL.
We play in a league somewhere between beginner and intermediate level. Sometimes we play well and sometimes not but I don’t really have the tools to improve myself I don’t think. I try not to get nerves but they come and I can’t handle them it seems. Levonster- shame you can’t play league anymore. Gumbo- yeah he was a jerk. At one point he had his head on the table in despair. We are not pdc. We’re just Norma people who like darts and perhaps foolishly thought they could transfer playing at home to playing league.
And I must have been playing for… I’d guess five or six years now
I think the suggestion of a frank team talk is a good one. I think Bo Schembechlers speech about “ the team, the team, the team” sums up better than anyone how a team should work together. As far as nerves, time on task always helps. In the meantime try focusing on the task (mechanics) not the result. I find something soothing in focusing on a stationary shoulder and a smooth hinge at the elbow. Results usually follow without the pressure of hitting a certain number. Remember, we play for fun. No one is a pro. Enjoy the fellowship, including that of your opponents, and have a good time. If this team can’t do that, find one that can.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any tips for a 1st ever league match? Omp 35 3,838 05-16-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Omp