Shot Darts

Weight difference
How much weight makes a difference in darts.  The same dart but is it a 1, 2, 3 4 etc. gram difference that would make a significant change in the way a dart throws? What I mean is what weight difference is really going to change point of impact without changing force of throw or anything else.
(08-29-2021, 05:32 PM)PecosJoe Wrote: How much weight makes a difference in darts.  The same dart but is it a 1, 2, 3 4 etc. gram difference that would make a significant change in the way a dart throws? What I mean is what weight difference is really going to change point of impact without changing force of throw or anything else.

I regularly throw all different shapes of barrel in a 17g - 24g range and once you’ve thrown a handful of darts your brain figures out the difference pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-29-2021, 06:25 PM)Westy182 Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 05:32 PM)PecosJoe Wrote: How much weight makes a difference in darts.  The same dart but is it a 1, 2, 3 4 etc. gram difference that would make a significant change in the way a dart throws? What I mean is what weight difference is really going to change point of impact without changing  force of throw or anything else.

I regularly throw all different shapes of barrel in a 17g - 24g range and once you’ve thrown a handful of darts your brain figures out the difference pretty quickly.

I do similar, although obviously not as well as if i stick with one set for a while.

Out of the darts i own and throw (17g - 26 g) I guess my prefered weight is 20 g  to 24 g and a bit more in the direction of 20 - 22 g than the other weights (that, probably puts my ideal prefered weight, around 21 grams, for serious throwing, i guess).

If i stick to one set for a while, i can barely detect 1 gram difference, 2 gram isnt that much different either, but, can notice 3 or more grams, to the extent i need to adapt to the weight change, for a little while, in order to recover the previous accuracy (ie) i have to re train my muscle memory and fine tuning.

I find a slightly heavier dart a bit more forgiving, so, throw them a lot, especially in practice (as in my sig) but, when I am playing well and practice a lot (so am on form) I prefer around 21 grams, for frequent serious use.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b, with 41 mm nylon shafts + kite flights (fly well, these).

Other barrels I quite like, are, 24 gram knurled assassins (by harrows).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 20 to 24 grams.
I’m the same. The only thing that I can’t throw is darts shorter the 48mm or thicker than 6.4mm
Darts: 21.5g MVG Exact
Shafts: Winmau Vecta short
Flights: Winmau / RD No.2

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Another weight changer here that finds it fairly easy to switch between weights after a few throws and a little adjustment.

I have darts from 12-25g and things slot into place again pretty quickly when changing weights.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

B: 23g    S: Medium    F: Pear    180s: 1/13
I am another one who loves to keep things fresh and interesting by swapping designs and weights, sometime game to game.  I find that, for me, the subtle differences can actually enhance my performance, even if that is entirely mental.

When I was a kid and found myself in a hitting slump playing baseball, I could usually break out of that with a small change in the bat.  Longer, heavier, lighter...  whatever the change, it seemed like it breathed new life into my skill set.  This has been true of all my sports endeavors.

More recently, I have been experimenting with dialing back the variety in an effort to see if I could achieve a certain consistency for the purposes of increasing my darts skills.  Having settled on the Loxley Robin design as my fav, I have been throwing those exclusively for a few weeks now, albeit it in three different weights.

I’ve noticed, since, that several parts of my throw; stance, grip, elbow position, have all stabilized toward my benefit.  All three sets of my Robin darts are assembled with the same stems and flights (Cosmo fit spinners) so the only difference between them is a few grams of weight.  This appears to be enough to maintain my mental game of changing tools while still permitting my muscles to concentrate on replication/adjustment of effort.

I will likely go back to throwing all my other Loxley darts but for now, I’m enjoying the benefits of a more consistent choice at the oche.

D
So over last week I’ve been using 12g to 32g over 10 sets of darts. I told myself I was doing to improve my follow through but in keeping all things (as same as I can with my throw) I’ve noticed that depending on dart weight it’s more effected by release point than anything else, if I keep speed or force the same.( as same as I can). So I’m going keep using the 9 sets in practice but I do have my one set I call my competition set(all be it league or few blind draws) that I will always practice the most with. Still trying to improve darts for 2022.  Since January I think I have made some good progress, learning how to breath may help the most over the next month.
Competition Dart: 20g gold widows that I silver plated in 1992, white short zero stress condor standard shape flights
Practice Dart:12g RD feather lites, fit flight #2 slim shafts, black speed flights
Remaining Darts: 17g, 18g, 19g, 21g, 22g, 23g, 24g, 25g, 27g, 32g different shape barrel and balance.

Be Safe and Good Darts! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(08-30-2021, 02:50 AM)Phil D Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 06:25 PM)Westy182 Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 05:32 PM)PecosJoe Wrote: How much weight makes a difference in darts.  The same dart but is it a 1, 2, 3 4 etc. gram difference that would make a significant change in the way a dart throws? What I mean is what weight difference is really going to change point of impact without changing  force of throw or anything else.

I do similar, although obviously not as well as if i stick with one set for a while.

Out of the darts i own and throw (17g - 26 g) I guess my prefered weight is 20 g  to 24 g and a bit more in the direction of 20 - 22 g than the other weights (that, probably puts my ideal prefered weight, around 21 grams, for serious throwing, i guess).

If i stick to one set for a while, i can barely detect 1 gram difference, 2 gram isnt that much different either, but, can notice 3 or more grams, to the extent i need to adapt to the weight change, for a little while, in order to recover the previous accuracy (ie) i have to re train my muscle memory and fine tuning.

I find a slightly heavier dart a bit more forgiving, so, throw them a lot, especially in practice (as in my sig) but, when I am playing well and practice a lot (so am on form) I prefer around 21 grams, for frequent serious use.

I have also had  one set of darts  quite a bit different in weight ie one dart was  closer to 17 grams than the other x 2 at 19 grams, there wasnt any percievable difference in my throw with any of the x 3 darts, despite that.

Although ive now  got rid of those (i have a back up set  any how) it was just in case, i could never get it out of my head once i realised, but, suspect it likely didnt make any difference what ever.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b, with 41 mm nylon shafts + kite flights (fly well, these).

I was throwing some 14.5g barrels earlier then switched to 22g and could adapt to the new weight in a couple of visits.
Apologize if I'm re-hashing earlier comments but I don't have the best attention span sometimes for reading every post.

You have many variable when changing weights.

-Are you using the same exact dart? Some dart models change physical size as you go up and down weight while others are just drilled deeper on both ends. I've had a few dart models that all looked exactly the same and you wouldn't know one is a 21g and the other is 23g unless you held them. Where as other models increase depth/width as you go up in weight.

-I personally feel like balance is more important than weight. For the past 10 years I've thrown a McKicks MVG copy 23g dart. I can throw 14g-25g darts as long as the dart is balanced similar to mine. To me it's easier to throw a dart weight 5g less but has the same balance as my regular darts vs the same weight but the dart is deeply drilled on one side so it's nose heavy/tail heavy. I remember throwing a set of Japanese Monster darts that were the exact same weight as my current darts. No matter how much I tried I could not throw them accurately. I then grabbed a toothpick as a measuring depth scale and realize the rear of the dart was drilled 75% up the dart and the balance issue was throwing me off (front weighted).

-Setup makes a huge difference. My 23g darts are longer (52mm) and I use short stems. But when I throw lighter/shorter darts, I use a medium stem. Like if I lined up all of my darts in a row, almost all of them are a similar total length (barrel + stem). Again, it goes back to balance. If you use a longer dart with a short stem setup and attempt to place that same stem/flight setup on a shorter darts, it's going to be challenging.

-I do believe throwing a very light dart can fix a lot of your throwing fundamentals. I learned more about having a smooth throwing motion using 14 Hankey darts than I had with any other dart. Almost like it's using a training dart that magnifies every fault (moving while throwing, not following through, etc..)
(05-13-2022, 07:24 AM)Regulatori Wrote: Apologize if I'm re-hashing earlier comments but I don't have the best attention span sometimes for reading every post.

You have many variable when changing weights.

-Are you using the same exact dart? Some dart models change physical size as you go up and down weight while others are just drilled deeper on both ends. I've had a few dart models that all looked exactly the same and you wouldn't know one is a 21g and the other is 23g unless you held them. Where as other models increase depth/width as you go up in weight.

-I personally feel like balance is more important than weight. For the past 10 years I've thrown a McKicks MVG copy 23g dart. I can throw 14g-25g darts as long as the dart is balanced similar to mine. To me it's easier to throw a dart weight 5g less but has the same balance as my regular darts vs the same weight but the dart is deeply drilled on one side so it's nose heavy/tail heavy. I remember throwing a set of Japanese Monster darts that were the exact same weight as my current darts. No matter how much I tried I could not throw them accurately. I then grabbed a toothpick as a measuring depth scale and realize the rear of the dart was drilled 75% up the dart and the balance issue was throwing me off (front weighted).

-Setup makes a huge difference. My 23g darts are longer (52mm) and I use short stems. But when I throw lighter/shorter darts, I use a medium stem. Like if I lined up all of my darts in a row, almost all of them are a similar total length (barrel + stem). Again, it goes back to balance. If you use a longer dart with a short stem setup and attempt to place that same stem/flight setup on a shorter darts, it's going to be challenging.

-I do believe throwing a very light dart can fix a lot of your throwing fundamentals. I learned more about having a smooth throwing motion using 14 Hankey darts than I had with any other dart. Almost like it's using a training dart that magnifies every fault (moving while throwing, not following through, etc..)

I am similar in that most of my darts are a similar over all length when laid next to each other.

During the last few years my health has gone a bit down hill (and have gone weaker) I have noticed that I am now more consistent with heavier darts than previously, the lighter darts i used to throw, tend to go all over the place now, so, there isnt as much consistency any more, as there once was.

Although I tend to throw a mixture of different darts they do, tend to have a lot of similarities, like length, grip type and grip areas, diameter etc for the most part (i kinda guess, that`s likely a  common thing for dart throwers, to prefer a certain type of dart).

I do have other random odd and different darts that i throw as  well (for a complete change of dart type) but over all have still been tending to creep up in weight, as mentioned, now preffering 24 g to 26 g  a lot of the time.

Tbh am not very competative when throwing these days, but, still enjoy throwing a few Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between playing Bad and good DAVEISTHENAME 1 230 05-15-2020, 10:10 PM
Last Post: southpaw_8585
  League and practice difference JayPro 25 1,384 08-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  The Difference in Tungsten EddieBell 21 2,915 08-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  How to manage weight difference between steel and soft darts? Che-Min Tsai 11 1,337 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: BDG
  Who has changed weight drastically. Dart weight that is. cubdog 16 1,759 01-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Red'75™
  What a difference Baloos 16 1,455 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM
Last Post: woodmagnet
  Flights, do they make that much difference? Irfan 15 1,626 07-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Last Post: jwiere03
  Weight difference between barrels in a set. Twenty-one 19 1,822 07-15-2018, 05:37 AM
Last Post: Phil D
  Small difference in flight - huge difference freedom35 5 990 03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Need To Know the Difference pugtato 3 804 03-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Last Post: joeriw96