Shot Darts

Painting Darts
So here's the question, has anyone ever painted their darts? I don't just mean in the rings, but the actual barrel itself. Now I know it will chip and flake off but I'm doing it to my Priestley's. I will have the results tomorrow. How will the paint hold up? Is there a way to harden the paint and make it tougher and less prone to chipping?
I have gave them to my brother in law who is mad on building small models and stuff and has fancy tools and paints for this so they should be in safe hands. I just got bored of the black and red stripes and wanted a different look. I play soft tip with them so hopefully they are less likely to chip than when playing steel tip.
Any thoughts?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
if its just enamel paint my guess is it will just flake off, may be there is a way to bond it so its more durable. I know shot have the Graphix darts but I'm not sure what the process is they use to apply it.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
finger nail polish
Is that strong?
I remember at school we painted enamels onto copper plates and put them in the oven overnight, that paint held fast on the plates not sure if it would work on darts?
As Rebel said. Use an automotive type paint and pop it into the oven. I do not remember temperatures or lengths of time but a quick internet search should find you the answer. A lot of fishermen that rebuild older reels and some newer ones will paint the reels and pop them in the oven.
(01-15-2014, 11:39 PM)JayKay Wrote: Is that strong?

(01-16-2014, 12:15 AM)REBEL Wrote: I remember at school we painted enamels onto copper plates and put them in the oven overnight, that paint held fast on the plates not sure if it would work on darts?
yes Baked enamel!!!!

Or better yet powder coated, but you will have to find someone to do this
MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's
(01-16-2014, 07:40 AM)DIRTY G Wrote: yes Baked enamel!!!!

Or better yet powder coated, but you will have to find someone to do this

Powder coating might not be the best idea for darts. Unless you have a smooth barrel darts. Powder coating goes on thick, most likely any grip the dart has will be covered up and be nearly useless.
So I'm getting my darts back today, they would have been painted last night and left to dry last night. Are you suggesting I pop then in the oven when I get them today out is it too late if they are already dry?
If enamel paint then I personally would put them in the oven overnight - should draw out any moisture left in the paint and harden up the coating - although having never tried it myself it could crack the paint as heating anything changes its compound and so in theory the dart barrel will expand slightly when heated, but then again, by its nature, so should the enamel paint.

Reason I come to this conclusion, I am sure radiators are painted with enamel based paint?
Painting darts is something I don't bother about really although can see why some want to do such for the looks of the dart

Ive actually washed paint off from darts before<though that was for reasons which wasn't darts related unfortunately

But Rebel ^^ post has a point regards radiators which is true enough ..
hehehhe... I know that one day my profession will work on my hobby field. I'm actually asst. tech manager in Color lab. automotive paint producer paint factory in Turkey Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Normally I paint some of my darts with the color I designed. any automotive or refinish grade 2K acrylic paint going to flake. its necessary to apply some adhesion primer. I prefer UV curing primer. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I got plenty of option in our lab. And then to test the grip I prefer pearl pigment coloured soft touch laquer. fashionably my darts looking handsome (if only I could have a chance to upload some photo) in 2 weeks of playing I have to remove the paint since dart to dart collision is beyond the scope of design of conventional and special coatings. aerospace coating systems may give fruitful results.
I'm not so called, a real darts nut!!
I used to use Future floor polish on lead jig heads after painting them. It leaves a very strong, clear, chip resistant coating, but it may leave your darts very slick.
(01-16-2014, 02:50 PM)nadir Wrote: hehehhe... I know that one day my profession will work on my hobby field. I'm actually asst. tech manager in Color lab. automotive paint producer paint factory in Turkey Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Normally I paint some of my darts with the color I designed. any automotive or refinish grade 2K acrylic paint going to flake. its necessary to apply some adhesion primer. I prefer UV curing primer. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I got plenty of option in our lab. And then to test the grip I prefer pearl pigment coloured soft touch laquer. fashionably my darts looking handsome (if only I could have a chance to upload some photo) in 2 weeks of playing I have to remove the paint since dart to dart collision is beyond the scope of design of conventional and special coatings. aerospace coating systems may give fruitful results.

You need to get some pics of those then Nadir, a pearlescent coating sounds good Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Yeah I for one would definitely be interested in seeing them. I had to strip the paint off my darts as it was wearing off. I may try again but right now they are naked Priestley's and look good without any colour. Maybe we can send or darts to Nadir and he can mix a dartsnutz colour for us!