Shot Darts

Pull Back/Take back advice
After recording a few throws last week the one thing that was really obvious....

When I'm bringing the dart back, it doesn't really come back as far as it probably should do.

My throw has never had a long take back like Chris Mason, but I don't remember it being like the earlier years of Devon Petersen

Any advice on developing the take back part of the throw?
Only one advice.
If you hit your targets then there's absolutely no reason to change your throw. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Why 'should' the arm come back more?
Yesterday I was examining my throw a little as I was looking at another Thread about Vision Centre..

I'm the type of person who just picks up a set and throws it.. making fine adjustments to the throw until hitting the target.. 

My drawback does not come down my Vision Centre at all but comes down at an angled approach stopping for a brief moment roughly several cm's in front of my right cheek.  From there it moves more centrally to my face whilst the throw forwards has commenced.  The target is always in my vision, the dart does not block this target in any way. I'm kinda looking over the dart.

We are all slightly different in our approach to throwing a dart.. If you are comfortable and hitting your target with a high percentage.... Who are we to tell you how to throw... What works for me, won't work for you or others.   A throw is a personal thing.

We all don't need a long release.

Darts - Unknown - 31mm barrel  --  Dart Weight - 21.9g throwing
Darts - Unicorn Dum Dum - 24.5mm barrel  --  Dart Weight - 16.9g throwing
Stems - Shanghai Satin Nylon 34mm  --  Flights - Designa Mini
Board - One80 Gladiator II  --  Light - Homemade LED Dimmer Ring
180's - Lost count  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   --  Highest Shot out - 170
Best sequence thrown - 9 Perfect Darts in practice

The only time this is a problem is if you have a habit of snatching darts. In fact, a short back swing is probably more accurate. Less moving so not as much time for things to go wrong.

I wouldn’t change if it isn’t causing you issues.

If it has become a problem that does cause you issues then you just have to set aside some time to purely focus on this portion of your throw. Ignore where the dart goes and just spend 30 mins every day just throwing darts whilst making the conscious effort to slow your pull back down and lengthen it. It will soon become normal for you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back at the Oche Stormdoor 4 171 01-27-2021, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Hazza
  Old Timer back at it... Nitro 20 439 12-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Last Post: WoodGuy
  Flights hitting face on pull back Ventuss 23 3,691 11-12-2020, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Gooddark
  elbow drop on draw/pull back Fergus 4 392 07-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Fergus
  Any advice: How to practice the pull of the arm eskoo 0 307 01-25-2020, 01:34 PM
Last Post: eskoo
  Getting my throw back Matt.1994 2 307 10-22-2019, 04:43 PM
Last Post: rich345
  Is it best to put a new set down and come back to them Papa w 12 638 10-10-2019, 07:54 PM
Last Post: DAVEISTHENAME
  Back to the old days/darts? toeirzt 12 1,100 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Last Post: toeirzt
  how do you get back on track when all goes wrong? McBoing 3 390 04-06-2019, 02:44 PM
Last Post: McBoing
  push or pull ?!??? bdebbane 9 699 12-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Red'75™