Target Darts.

Charlie Ellix (split from Archived Intros)
(02-04-2021, 07:57 PM)Papa w Wrote: Hi Anita..... sure you have some fascinating,funny and interesting stories about you did who was a legend and how it was for you growing up with a famous dad ...... welcome to the forum
Thank you and yes, I have some very amusing stories about my Dad and the adventures of the England team at the time. I was all ears at that age! lol!
Thought I split this post from Archived Intros.  Had a new member express an interest, and the OP may find it useful as well. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hi Anita, I didn't know your dad on a personal basis but I did play against him once, at the National Classic Singles tournament held at Ceasers Palace, Luton in 1977.  It was a semi final, which in those days was 501 best of 5 legs, with nearest the bull to start.  Your dad won the throw and started in legs 1, 3 & 5.  It was a cracking game, your dad won the first leg in 12 darts, I won the 2nd in 12 darts, your dad won the third, again in 12, I won the fourth leg in 12, so it was 2 all with everything to play for.  The last leg was also won in 12 darts, by your dad!  I would have had to have thrown a 9 darter to beat him.  It was probably the best game I ever lost!  My average for losing was one of the highest losing averages of the time and since for all that I can remember.

I recall Charlie was there with a pal of his, Tony Jenkinson, who beat my mate in a previous round.  For the life of me I can't remember if Charlie won the tournament, such is my memory nowadays and I have been unable to find any reference to the tournament anywhere online.  It was at a time your dad was playing great darts, so losing to him made the loss a little better but no one ever likes to lose.  I also Charlie played county darts for London and he was regularly seen with RaybCornibert, another player of the era and fellow county player.

I have played so many games over the years but now cannot remember the names of the players I played against except for the one game I played against your dad because it was so memorable for the such high standard of darts we both played.

Our paths never crossed again but I have the fondest memories of that one game we played nearly 44 years ago, a real shame that I can't remember if he won it! 

I don't expect your dad to remember that game, I'm sure he played many more far more important games but for me it lives long in the memory. Give my best regards to Charlie and I hope you find others who can tell you more stories about your dad's playing life.

Kindest regards,

Nick B
(05-30-2021, 03:04 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Thought I split this post from Archived Intros.  Had a new member express an interest, and the OP may find it useful as well. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thank you, I have sent the OP a reply
Great story, sounds like a one hell of a game. Thanks for sharing it.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.