Unicorn

New way to post pics
Interesting back-story to this - we've turned a problem into a solution.  Thanks to @Drum and others who found (discovered?) the issue.  And a big shout out to @effone - a developer at MyBB - where I often go looking for answers.  And make a general nuisance of myself - lol.   MyBB is the open source project the Forum is based on - in case you're curious.  Not giving away secrets - it's in our page footers. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

To paste a pic, just copy from wherever - and paste in the post.  Not a link - or share - but the actual pic.  Everything else is automatic.  Just pics only please.  You also need to permit connections to Imgur - just like myDropzone.  Sorry mainland China members! 

Won't say much more about it - but any problems - this is the thread to hear them.

Update Nov 2022:  As of MyBB 1832, we're suspending this feature - because of core upgrades to the system.
(04-17-2021, 11:48 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Interesting back-story to this - we've turned a problem into a solution.  Thanks to @Drum and others who found (discovered?) the issue.  And a big shout out to @effone - a developer at MyBB - where I often go looking for answers.  And make a general nuisance of myself - lol.   MyBB is the open source project the Forum is based on - in case you're curious.  Not giving away secrets - it's in our page footers. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

To paste a pic, just copy from wherever - and paste in the post.  Not a link - or share - but the actual pic.  Everything else is automatic.  Just pics only please.  You also need to permit connections to Imgur - just like myDropzone.  Sorry mainland China members! 

Won't say much more about it - but any problems - this is the thread to hear them.

I am doing a bit of a test aka try out on this, as a random forum user, just to try and figure it out a bit, I hit reply and the  drop box has popped up ok (sometimes, previously this hasnt worked as i thought it would and i havent seen a drop box).

Also, in the past (several times, under specific circumstanes, like, when you make a new thread, or, if you just type directly in the reply box, without using the reply function, on an existing thread) I havent seen any drop box appear at all, if that happens (for anyone who wants to add a picture, the easy way) I have found that by hitting the edit button and then doing a full edit, of your post, it makes the drop box available and  you can then add a picture, using the drop box, once it is displayed.

I have made a drop box available, using reply (hence the original post has been quoted) to test this copy paste function out, mentioned above, using reply and a random image from my own pc.

Once you have selected an image, by right clicking and then, using  the copy function (any image at all, on your own pc basically) if you then left click on the drop box (once you have one available) the image you have selected, is displayed, in a little window, once you left click the image displayed in the little window, it resizes it automatically, selects it, and then inserts it in your post, fairly much automatically, the image is placed, where ever the cursor, is displayed, so, you can choose where to place the picture, in your post, by moving the cursor, to wherever you want the picture to appear.

It seems to work fine, using copy / paste into the drop box, by this method above and it has selected the correct image, which is below and has fairly much done all the hard work for me (just a random pic I have taken).

I have previously had problems adding pictures, on occasion, so, this is of interest to me and that is how i have added the picture, below, for anyone else who might be having problems.

This test has worked, for me using a pc, by using the above method, I am on win 7, but, suspect it would work just as well, under other versions of windows, or, even linux, my browser is opera, although, it probably doesnt matter much, it was very easy to do.

Cannot try from a mobile phone as this is my main / only internet access point and if I remember rightly, I think Drum, might have been using a phone, of some sort, when this was reported, originally.

The copy / paste is working fine on this pc (dont think i tried that method before) and not sure if this is kind of relevent or not, but, it has worked.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b, with 41 mm nylon shafts + kite flights (fly well, these).

Other barrels I quite like, are, 24 gram knurled assassins (by harrows).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 20 to 24 grams.
Sounds as if you were using myDropzone - if the attachment box with the text Drop files here to upload was used.  No problem - was important not to conflict with myDropzone.  Which is a more featured service.

Direct copy / paste, means I can go to a site - let's use DC specials section - copy a picture - paste right in the post.  Like this:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Source:  https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=20717

Will also work with pictures you have.  Conditions:
  1. Must be in the main editor.  Screenshot below.  Which is a picture I have BTW.  
  2. Show source must be off.  It is by default - so most members.  Don't be put off by the source showing in the screenshot.  I have the editor in source mode all the time.  Had to turn it off before pasting the pic for this test.  Also resized to prevent the image size circuits from kicking in. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Screenshot:

That's it!
Copied from a capture buffer in main memory (without saving it off first)  using the my drop box (on a pc) so, there is no clashes there, I also, did not know you could do that, previously, at all.

pinched from your post above and inserted from main memory, as a copy / paste test, using the my drop box, which has worked great.

Thanks, for the tutorial above, from a mobile device, using copy / paste and without using the my drop box.

And for the coding, or, whatever you did, to make it happen, that way.

Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b, with 41 mm nylon shafts + kite flights (fly well, these).

Other barrels I quite like, are, 24 gram knurled assassins (by harrows).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 20 to 24 grams.
(04-17-2021, 11:48 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Interesting back-story to this - we've turned a problem into a solution.  Thanks to @Drum and others who found (discovered?) the issue.  And a big shout out to @effone - a developer at MyBB - where I often go looking for answers.  And make a general nuisance of myself - lol.   MyBB is the open source project the Forum is based on - in case you're curious.  Not giving away secrets - it's in our page footers. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Does it mean I can finally copy pictures from my own http site?
(04-18-2021, 10:13 AM)elevendarter Wrote: Does it mean I can finally copy pictures from my own http site?

Should be able to.  Just copy the pic into your clipboard and paste at desired cursor position.
This is bit of a game changer, but very new.  The capturing of image data from the clipboard and channelling into an Imgur anonymous upload is less than 24 hours old.  Anywhere with this software.

Several versions ago, MyBB changed their post editor.  As some members discovered, you could occasionally paste pics from the clipboard into a post.  If the image was small enough - it would work.  Unfortunately, it did so by writing very long character strings into the database.  Usually too long - and would fail because of database field character limits.  This we definitely didn't want.  Even when it worked, it was bad. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Appears not many in the MyBB community noticed this - and the software is a common BBS solution.  But we did.  By database query, identified some half dozen cases starting from up to a year ago.  On the lookout, @Drum's post the other day jumped out.  I've resized so many pics on the forum pre-upgrade, I can tell at a glance.  The rest of the story I've mentioned.

I'm pleased to hear Phil was able to use with his mobile.  One of the challenges with mobile - besides screen size - is the mapping of I/O controls.  But most devices should support copy/paste from the clipboard.

So early days, but we'll see how it goes. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-28-2021, 12:42 AM)nixer55 Wrote:
(11-27-2021, 11:33 PM)elevendarter Wrote: Removed embedded image link

Thought you should know.  Chromium based browsers (that's most all except Firefox) don't load those pics from your non-tls host.  Throw a mixed content error.  The browser tries to upgrade the connection to tls (ssl), but fails of course, because you're not running it.

Good news, browser standards have evolved since we last talked about this.  So you're not breaking our secure site status.  Otherwise, I'd certainly upgrade the links to https by database query.  

But wouldn't rely on that - as we've seen - standards change.

Oh, cheers for letting me know, Yes, we discussed that in the past. I thought it was allowed now, which it apparently is. I didn't know though that someone's browser could have issues with displaying those pictures from my http website. At least, if I get it right...

That website is my "testing" website and I'm not too keen on idea of playing for the premium version. I'll think about that though...
(11-28-2021, 10:24 PM)nixer55 Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 10:03 PM)elevendarter Wrote: Oh, cheers for letting me know, Yes, we discussed that in the past. I thought it was allowed now, which it apparently is. I didn't know though that someone's browser could have issues with displaying those pictures from my http website. At least, if I get it right...

That website is my "testing" website and I'm not too keen on idea of playing for the premium version. I'll think about that though...

Fair enough.  You could always use the feature mentioned in this thread.  I've kept that working even though unsupported by MyBB itself.  Use what my system calls "copy image".  Not sure what Firefox on Windows calls it. You're copy / pasting from the clipboard at any rate.  We're not resizing - so be aware of that.

Or you just download a local copy and use Guide 11.  Quick and easy, and no size issues to worry about. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Moved these posts to the Guide thread.  Not that interesting for the Whoops Shot thread - but might be useful here.

For example - and using Chrome - navigated to that pic on your site. Then copied the image to my clipboard.  Now I just start a new line and paste:

Routine captures clipboard image data then uploads to our anonymous Imgur API.  Pretty slick, but don't know how long I can preserve it when upgrading.  Pictures won't be lost regardless - unless Imgur goes the way of the dodo bird - lol.

Only caveat - View Source MUST be off - or it won't work.  Which shouldn't be a problem - most members don't use it much anyway. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Edit:  Using the same technique, here's a local screenshot.  Shows this post in edit mode - with View Source on - revealing the new image tag location:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Number of Pics per post nixer55 1 89 04-01-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Over size pics nixer55 3 39 11-19-2021, 07:00 PM
  New feature for adding pics nixer55 19 698 11-05-2021, 03:41 PM
  File size error attaching pics nixer55 14 3,085 11-13-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  can't view pics Maineiac 15 7,681 04-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Last Post: *Saber*