Target Darts.

Head Movement
Hi all,

I am currently having an issue with head movement. The situation is when I drawback the dart I tend to move my head to the left (I am right handed) suddenly, before then coming forward with my release and follow through.

The catalyst I think was when I was tinkering with different barrels and I wanted to use a longer dart from the current bomb shape I was using (I had this theory that a longer dart might make my grouping more consistent). The end result was mixed, but it has caused this almost jerking like motion with my head. My wife says it is like I am trying to get my head out of the way from the flight on the drawback. The movement is causing some discomfort in my neck and upper shoulder and my form goes out the window during long stints at the oche.

I have tried the following to stop this:
1. Gone back to a shorter bomb shaped barrel. The head movement is still there.
2. To simply tell myself not move my head, not working.
3. I have tried drawing the dart back shorter. The darts go all over the place and this isn't natural for me at all.
4. Tried standing tall with my chin up. Works for a little while, but places strains in other places.
5. Tried to consciously draw the dart back to what feels like the side and away from my face. This is working to some degree, but feels unnatural at the moment and the head still moves (not as much).

Has anyone had something similar occur to them and would like to share how you kept your head still?
Additionally does anyone have any other advice that could help?
Started playing April 2020

Board - Winmau - Blade 5
Darts Currently  - Whatever feels right

Best 501 game -  19 darts
Number of 180s - 2020 = 5, 2021 = 4
Highest checkout - 117 (T20 - S17- D20)
Haven't noticed I've suffered from this though in your case it sounds to me as a nervous kind of protective action of your head moving when something is coming towards it. Don't know how to remedy it completely in the short term however it could be the case of telling yourself not to move your head and will take some time.
The solution is option 2....... applied over time with many hours spent on the oche. All the other options are ruinous to one's development.

How long have you been playing darts, and I mean regular day to day playing, because it's regular day to day playing that meats the requirements for one's improvement of form.
(04-05-2021, 12:35 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: The solution is option 2....... applied over time with many hours spent on the oche. All the other options are ruinous to one's development.

How long have you been playing darts, and I mean regular day to day playing, because it's regular day to day playing that meats the requirements for one's improvement of form.

What ReggaeDarts says... Plus try stare intently at the target area throughout your throw and keep your shoulders still.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

As others have said, it’s option 2. This should be your sole focus when practicing your technique until you’ve sorted it.

A mate of mine who’s a current snooker professional said his dad used to put a tray on his noggin when he was down on a shot and put some plastic cups on it. He’d stay down in position and his dad would just replace the balls so he didn’t have to move. Said it stopped him from moving his head after a while.

But extreme, but you could try it with a light hard back book to see how you get on.
Nothing other than number 2 should apply. You have a problem with moving your head which will impact your throw, so address THAT problem directly. You really shouldn't want to change more than 1 factor in your throw at a time. Keep things simple.

The other options are just working around it, adding complications where you don't need them. It's a bit like when someone has agyrophobia(fear of crossing the road), so they travel everywhere by helicopter.

Set up one of those tripod camera by buying a tripod, placing your phone on the tripod, and then recording your head. Examine after 4 or 5 rounds. This will allow you to see the triggers and instances when you're more likely to move your head. Relaxation will help too.
I have to agree with the others, work on #2.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
(04-06-2021, 01:53 AM)Dorian Wrote: Plus try stare intently at the target area...

This is an insightful observation... well said. Yes, like laser focus. I vouch for training one self to not blink as you throw each dart.
(04-06-2021, 02:15 PM)Jefferz Wrote: You really shouldn't want to change more than 1 factor in your throw at a time.

I've seen too many get muddled by doing too much. Solid tacit comment.
Thanks all for your help.....number 2 it is.

(04-05-2021, 12:35 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: The solution is option 2....... applied over time with many hours spent on the oche. All the other options are ruinous to one's development.

I practice a fair bit and would be throwing darts most likely every day or 5/6 days a week. Mostly practice games or playing 501, but as evident I need to spend more time doing some technique training.
Started playing April 2020

Board - Winmau - Blade 5
Darts Currently  - Whatever feels right

Best 501 game -  19 darts
Number of 180s - 2020 = 5, 2021 = 4
Highest checkout - 117 (T20 - S17- D20)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horizontal movement? GT50 13 506 01-15-2021, 09:53 PM
Last Post: wzywg
  Horizontal elbow/shoulder movement MauriceDarter 7 812 07-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Doctor Bones
  RE: Do You Have Shoulder Twitching or Slight "Chicken Wing" Movement Like Me? Dumbeedum 12 2,377 12-31-2018, 06:48 PM
Last Post: alexrs21
  please-Help-throw-problem-wrist-movement FelixDarter180 2 1,542 09-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Last Post: zhaoz
  Throw from beside your head vs inline with eyes? atison 5 1,022 01-20-2018, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Hellion
  head goes back when throwing Broken Shaft 10 1,197 11-28-2016, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Joe Garofalo
  Elbow movement Daithi 8 2,457 01-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LionCityDarter
  backward movement too long Troll 22 8,272 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Last Post: NylonRaider
  backward movement Troll 4 2,456 12-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Last Post: mc1958