Shot Darts

Getting to grips with Dart Points
Hi All,

This topic of 'point roughness' raises its head from time to time. Some say the rougher the better and a number players will use those conical rough stones and wiggle the points around. Others will insert machined and etched points to achieve a level of roughness, others use rough needle files files to keep the dart secure in the board, I used to use an 'ultra-fine' diamond file (until I lent it to a friend who lost it  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ). 

All of these methods work to some degree but some can seriously affect the life of the points and appearance of your board. 

I would recommend that to get a good grip on your points in a few seconds and save your board is to use some fine wet & dry emery paper. I use a 1500 grade and it works very well indeed it seems the finer the better, just keep a little swatch in your case. I also know people who use those green scotch-brite pads.

Good Luck

Regards

Dorian
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

I use an Emery board & also use a nail file, it's just a quick run across them on an angle with no pressure as i turn them, i just want to be able to feel a burr on the point, not sure how many people i've told to stop turning your points around in circles in those stones, you aren't doing anything but making a pencil point
Fan of the pinch and twist method myself. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Might try the emery board method.
I currently carry on of the large rectangular stone sharpeners and it weighs a ton.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get to grips with consistency! Dorian 17 5,934 02-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Last Post: millsy2018
  Cleaning dart points: An example case WhiskyPops 6 1,017 08-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Walker