Shot Darts

Advice for teaching wife
Although, I am a male, if i could throw a dart, even half as good as fallon sherrock, I would be very happy.

If i was still with my ex and wanted to get them interested, I would probably make a point of showing videos of fallon playing (as a kind of inspiration, she has a brilliant, girly and wristy, kind of a throw).

Having said that, i cant see most of my ex s, or, most other women, ive ever met, throwing a dart for very long (especially, without throwing one, in my general direction).

If you have a girlfriend / wife interested in playing darts, your probably quite lucky.

I have heard that a heavier dart seems to suit most women (though) as others have mentioned.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b with kite flights + 41 mm nylon stems (flying well, debating on sticking with these).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 20 to 24 grams.
My mrs started throwing a few darts a while back. She stood closer to the board and the better she get she eventually stood at the oche. She was awful. I mean just truly god awful to start with. She throws my 25g Bristol Red Ring darts and can’t seem to throw anything lighter. She doesn’t play much. She only comes to play one leg every evening that I’m practicing, so around 4 or 5 legs a week. Yet with some basic technique advice she managed to hit a 140 one night and a 120 checkout the next.

Even with this massive improvement she still throws her own way because it’s comfortable for her. She is the least competitive person I’ve ever met so for someone like that it’s hard to teach them because she isn’t fussed about getting better.
Positive vibes & encouragement. Never critique their throw or form unless asked, especially in the middle of a game. Just play your own game. Don't help them with math and strategy unless asked. Give them a set of their own darts to start their own collection / hobby. Keep your attitude towards yourself positive. This is advice for anybody, not just spouses. If they are into it, they will come to you with questions. You don't have to do anything but be supportive and have a good time.
Since starting again myself my wife has wanted to throw a bit as well and I have tried to give her hints but in the end just let her throw them her own way. She seems to hit a fair amount of treble 19 and 16s just by aiming in that area of the board.

Tried to get her to practice something like round the world to help her aim but she has more luck just throwing in an area.

We also just play 501 without a double finish and if she misses the board she gets to throw again, hoping that she can get to stage where we can have a full game as recently her single number out shots have got better and maybe only has 1 dart missing the board a game

The only thing I try help her with is the maths so that she takes options that leave her shots if she hits the number next to it etc
(02-20-2021, 01:37 PM)mtc666 Wrote: As I have recently gotten back into darts and put up my board, my wife has also become interested.  We enjoy doing a lot of things together, and I can imagine that an evening of throwing darts would be a great time with her.

Oh dear... I shared the same dream with my missus, alas we've been married on and off for 40 years now and when we first got married she was not at all interested in playing. As a result she stayed in the hotel bedroom for all of the honeymoon weekend so I had to play with myself  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

Here's the problem -- she does not throw anything very well.  She never played any sport that involved an overhand throw.  At the moment, she has a really hard time getting the dart to the board.  I have her move up from oche in order to get the dart in the board, and I have her goal as getting darts inside the triple ring when she is aiming at the bulls-eye.

Her indoors would easily be a first rate pitcher in baseball and an outstanding cricket fielder however her accuracy is based on plant pots and miscellaneous chinaware that she frequently hurls at me... and rarely misses  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

I feel that there must be some better way of getting her to the point that she can actually start developing and working on a throw.  Any ideas?  I was thinking of making some small balls to throw at the board so she could get a feel for throwing through the board versus to the board (or something like that).  Maybe creating a hoop to throw the balls through from ~7' away.

BIG mistake at all costs you must keep her away from your balls!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

She responds well to competition.  When we play Cricket (no score, she needs one hit to close out, and she is a foot or so in front of the oche) she hits targets much better.  I figure with time, we'll be able to play some games (handicapped for quite a while). 

My strong advice (and backed up by my doctor) would be to keep her away from darts altogether the risk of having a wife who may one day be able to toss sharp pointed missiles accurately is too frightening to envisage. Why not take up crocheting instead you could compete on the fastest to knit a scarf?  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   

Thanks for input - mtc
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Hello everyone,

When I first met my wife I had an old WINMAU board we would play on and she could generally hit the board but rarely with any deliberate accuracy.  She will occasionally play a game but only to placate my need for another player.  

We enjoy many other things in life together but rarely do I attempt to "teach" her how to improve in games.  I share a few techniques and suggest different approaches but that is about it.  Plus, I like my wall in its current condition... :-)

Troyyz

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any tips for teaching a toddler darts? Michaelinpr 9 376 10-13-2020, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Damien cribbs