Shot Darts

Arm Injury
Due to falling off a step ladder last summer (which I should not have been on) my right, throwing arm has been causing me a lot of pain. Maybe due to the cold weather it has been worse anyway I decided to go down 3gram in weight to 20 gram a set I had purchased a couple of years ago. The pain is not as bad however I was thinking of purchasing a much lighter set again to try out. Anybody's thoughts on this idea please. Not a lot will be spent on a much lighter set just to experiment with really. Arm and leg which I injured were both x rayed but no breakages found. Wife seems to think it is a trapped nerve whilst I am thinking at my age arthritis.
I’ve actually been struggling with tendinitis since going to a 19.6g (I think) dart from 24g. I used to get it when I was in my early 20s in both elbows from going to the gym. It crippled me for years and from 20-23 years of age I iced my elbows every evening.

Anyway, moving down in weight has brought it back because I’m forcing the dart it seems. Really having to be deliberate with the follow through made me hyper extend the elbow ever so slightly. Never had to force the 24g darts.

With that being said, I play better with the lighter weight for what ever reason. My weight of throw is quite a bit more consistent.

Maybe we just need to put the darts down for a while. I’ll be taking a break for a few days next week to see how the elbow improves. If it’s still a bit tender then that might turn into a week or so. If you can’t bring yourself to rest, then I would actually go a bit heavier. Let the weight of the dart do the work instead of the arm.
I find I have to throw a lighter dart harder to do what I want it to do and that would be counterproductive if I had issues with my throwing arm.

I've made this analogy on here before and I think it has merit. Personally, I find it harder to control a whiffle ball as opposed to a regular baseball when throwing, and the same goes for darts-----the lighter the dart, the less control and more effort to get it to where I want it to go.
gumbo2176
Sorry about your arm soreness. I'd be looking at some specific stretching to do for that area. I used to throw 25g but now down to 20-22g and have had no issues........yet.
Um, a slight difference of opinion. I have some 25gm which I could try to see what happens whilst keeping the 20gm within reach and therefore do a comparison test. Don't really want to go to the doctors that is if I can or hospital until the coronavirus settles a bit more and also till I have had my injection. Too much worry. I'll let you know if there is any significant difference between the two. May just have been by chance before I don't know. Thanks for the replies all. Oh by the way I have tried to ease things by doing stretching etc but that can make things worse sometimes. Trying to avoid carrying anything with my right arm of anything too heavy.
(02-15-2021, 01:10 PM)The Fox Wrote: Um, a  slight difference of opinion. I have some 25gm which I could try to see what happens whilst keeping the 20gm within reach and therefore do a comparison test. Don't really want to go to the doctors that is if I can or hospital until the coronavirus settles a bit more and also till I have had my injection. Too much worry. I'll let you know if there is any significant difference between the two. May just have been by chance before I don't know. Thanks for the replies all. Oh by the way I have tried to ease things by doing stretching etc but that can make things worse sometimes. Trying to avoid carrying anything with my right arm of anything too heavy.

Have you tried 400 - 600 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for 2-3 days? That is my go to for many issues, having the anti-inflammatory in the system for a few days can be quite healing.  I am not  Dr but got this remedy from my Dentist and have used it for many ailments successfully.  Best of luck.

PS: if you do try this eat a little something and take it with a full glass of water.
(02-15-2021, 02:45 PM)Levonster Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 01:10 PM)The Fox Wrote: Um, a  slight difference of opinion. I have some 25gm which I could try to see what happens whilst keeping the 20gm within reach and therefore do a comparison test. Don't really want to go to the doctors that is if I can or hospital until the coronavirus settles a bit more and also till I have had my injection. Too much worry. I'll let you know if there is any significant difference between the two. May just have been by chance before I don't know. Thanks for the replies all. Oh by the way I have tried to ease things by doing stretching etc but that can make things worse sometimes. Trying to avoid carrying anything with my right arm of anything too heavy.

Have you tried 400 - 600 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for 2-3 days? That is my go to for many issues, having the anti-inflammatory in the system for a few days can be quite healing.  I am not  Dr but got this remedy from my Dentist and have used it for many ailments successfully.  Best of luck.

PS: if you do try this eat a little something and take it with a full glass of water.

Yeah cause of heart condition I'm not really supposed to take ibuprofen or the like. Took some as an outside muscle gel that was allowed but didn't do anything.
Well I have done a 25gm in comparison with 20gm test and after playing a game with the 25gm in frustration with not being able to get my double after an obscene amount of darts I picked up the 20gm and checked out 1st dart! Might just have been luck but the 20gm is a lot easier on my arm. One thing I have noticed is whatever set I use I have to compensate for what seems is lack of strength and have to aim a bit higher than the target I am aiming at. So I have come to the conclusion that I will have to try and strengthen this arm with one of my dumbbells and ignore the pain if it hurts a little. I will purchase some cheap darts of a lesser weight than 20gm to try out for less than £20 just to test. They will probably be sold on at a later date but its worth the test.
Ok 17gm darts were too light for me to throw. Easier in a way but contradicted by the greater force needed to throw them. So not the weight of the dart that is causing the problem for me just the general arm manoeuvre which is causing the pain. Oh well, just have to hope on this one!
A pinched nerve does not sound like fun. I've never experienced that, tho know of a few who have in the back and neck. Where in the arm do you get the pain? Perhaps some larger diameter lightweight brass darts would reduce finger gripping pressures.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/swift...p.html#srp
(02-21-2021, 08:44 PM)1/2 ton Wrote: A pinched nerve does not sound like fun. I've never experienced that, tho know of a few who have in the back and neck. Where in the arm do you get the pain? Perhaps some larger diameter lightweight brass darts would reduce finger gripping pressures.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/swift...p.html#srp

Pain is on the top of arm from just below my elbow onwards . No pain in my elbow, but the pain goes from below here onwards through my wrist and into my hand. An example of mine to explain is I know it is going to be a bad day when using an electric shaver straightening my arm out afterwards is quite a very sore and painful manoeuvre. Some days are worse than others.
Tendinitis. Very sore when it’s aggravated. I got it when I was in my early 20s from lifting weights. One exercise caused it - skull crushers. I had it for a few years after because I never properly took a break from the gym. The paid was hard to describe. Sometimes it would be a shooting sharp pain on the underside of the forearm, other times it would be a throbbing pain just above the elbow where the ‘funny’ bone is...a pain similar to toothache.

The sad news is you need to rest the arm for quite a long time in order for it to recover. 6 month break from the gym it took me before I stopped feeling the pain. A physical job and just life in general kept causing it to flare up. I never went back to the gym after I recovered because I forgot how great it was not to have tennis elbow pain every day.
(02-22-2021, 07:16 PM)Pidge Wrote: Tendinitis. Very sore when it’s aggravated. I got it when I was in my early 20s from lifting weights. One exercise caused it - skull crushers. I had it for a few years after because I never properly took a break from the gym. The paid was hard to describe. Sometimes it would be a shooting sharp pain on the underside of the forearm, other times it would be a throbbing pain just above the elbow where the ‘funny’ bone is...a pain similar to toothache.

The sad news is you need to rest the arm for quite a long time in order for it to recover. 6 month break from the gym it took me before I stopped feeling the pain. A physical job and just life in general kept causing it to flare up. I never went back to the gym after I recovered because I forgot how great it was not to have tennis elbow pain every day.

If this is the case I can't rest it completely. Yes, I could stop darts for a while and avoid heavy or unnecessary lifting with this arm. At the moment as I am typing lifting my arm is causing some pain and very uncomfortable. Hard to say at all times where it starts from. Anyway, thanks for the reply, I will have to wait till I can see my Doctor which could be some time. Mind you I've been waiting a long time since last autumn!
Think I might try out something a little bit different and see if the weight of the darts help a bit with my arm. Never thrown anything above 25gm. Thoughts anyone and ideas of what to try?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts related injury Roadto180 2 136 02-20-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Roadto180
  Darts ending injury? I'm freaking out! The Jester 14 1,177 09-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Last Post: PREACHERMAN
  Injury recovery Jay Guildea 6 392 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  any advice for a rotator cuff injury barbelmaster 6 1,961 09-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: hamo
  Elbow pain/injury - has anyone recovered? skinnygav 12 1,780 07-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Darts With a Shoulder Injury pilmat 9 6,565 06-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Serial 7hriller