Cuesoul

3dart average
What is a good three dart average in 502 for a beginner at darts?
45 - 50. And don't worry to cut the score to just 501. That's enough.
Awesome, thanks. That’s exactly where I am. Right at 50. I’ve thrown darts a few times over the years at a bar drinking with my friends but I’ve never owned a set of darts until about five days ago. I’ve been shooting every day and I’m sitting right at 50. I’m starting to learn very quickly that there is no possible way to be good at darts without practicing a lot and being very patient. Thanks for responding.
Agree with the above. 40-50 as a beginner is a good start indeed.
I have my board and darts 2 days now and I have thrown 17 legs so far. My average is 41 with my highest lucky 3darts at 129 today.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH1907 met Tapatalk
I too sit around 45-50. I have 60-70 point average legs from time to time but consistency is the key. The constant practice and patience is what will improve that consistency.
Dear lord , I feel like quitting this now, started in late May and my average at lidarts I just checked is 34 with only one 140+ in 118 games.
Maybe this much anti-talent shows it might not be for me.
(11-05-2021, 08:32 PM)robinsonfunk Wrote: Dear lord , I feel like quitting this now, started in late May and my average at lidarts I just checked is 34 with only one 140+ in 118 games.
Maybe try some other games than 501 also. Would your average be a lot higher if you skip the double out? 

Maybe you can change the way your throw or how you place your feet also.
(11-07-2021, 07:09 PM)Oyvind Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 08:32 PM)robinsonfunk Wrote: Dear lord , I feel like quitting this now, started in late May and my average at lidarts I just checked is 34 with only one 140+ in 118 games.
Maybe try some other games than 501 also. Would your average be a lot higher if you skip the double out? 

Maybe you can change the way your throw or how you place your feet also.

I wish it was haha. In all fairness I was playing on that site since the first day I got the dartboard and everything went all over the place but even the optimistic first 9 avg now would be like 40-ish. Maybe I just don't have the knack for it.
I've always said if playing in local dart leagues and averaging 60 pt. per 3 dart average, you'd win a hell of a lot more than lose.

Averaging 50 as a new player is a very good start. But, you do know that includes out shots too. So, if you get down to a one dart out and it takes you 6 darts to hit it, your average dips pretty quickly.
gumbo2176
(11-08-2021, 12:39 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I've always said if playing in local dart leagues and averaging 60 pt. per 3 dart average, you'd win a hell of a lot more than lose.

Averaging 50 as a new player is a very good start.    But, you do know that includes out shots too.  So, if you get down to a one dart out and it takes you 6 darts to hit it, your average dips pretty quickly.

True. I often meet players who are telling me how well they play at home. Constantly finishing in 15 - 18 darts, averaging over 80... I always tell them that my average is 60 and they don't believe me as I regularly beat all of these players. Even though I do finish a lot of legs under 20 darts, I also finish some legs in 30+. That's why I tell them that my average is 60 (even though it's more like 65..). At least it makes them admit that if I play 60, then they definitelly aren't better than me and they're probably wrong. They tend to estimate their averages on a few lucky matches while I'm fine with my 60. I can often do better (and worse as well).

Averaging 50 means someone is  finishing legs in 10 visits, averaging 55 means 9 visits, averaging 60 means finishing in 8 visits. To beat it you have to finish legs in 7 visits, that's 70 average and that are really advanced players.

BTW, starting with average 34 is fine. Getting to 50 is not that hard, however getting from 50 to 70 is a lot harder. Anyway, start playing tournaments or league asap. That will help!
(11-08-2021, 10:26 PM)elevendarter Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 12:39 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I've always said if playing in local dart leagues and averaging 60 pt. per 3 dart average, you'd win a hell of a lot more than lose.

Averaging 50 as a new player is a very good start.    But, you do know that includes out shots too.  So, if you get down to a one dart out and it takes you 6 darts to hit it, your average dips pretty quickly.

True. I often meet players who are telling me how well they play at home. Constantly finishing in 15 - 18 darts, averaging over 80... I always tell them that my average is 60 and they don't believe me as I regularly beat all of these players. Even though I do finish a lot of legs under 20 darts, I also finish some legs in 30+. That's why I tell them that my average is 60 (even though it's more like 65..). At least it makes them admit that if I play 60, then they definitelly aren't better than me and they're probably wrong. They tend to estimate their averages on a few lucky matches while I'm fine with my 60. I can often do better (and worse as well).

Averaging 50 means someone is  finishing legs in 10 visits, averaging 55 means 9 visits, averaging 60 means finishing in 8 visits. To beat it you have to finish legs in 7 visits, that's 70 average and that are really advanced players.

BTW, starting with average 34 is fine. Getting to 50 is not that hard, however getting from 50 to 70 is a lot harder. Anyway, start playing tournaments or league asap. That will help!

Totally agree. Also averages will be different in different environments. I use the Russ Bray app to track all my stats and I use the pro score option to mark all missed doubles.

My average against the CPU is 48 yet my average against human players is 43 (mainly due to playing mates after too much beer). I’ve only been playing darts 10 months and haven’t played in any official matches but I can imagine that with nerves and an unfamiliar environment my average may dip some more. However I do find I concentrate more under a bit of pressure.

Getting to a 50 average just takes a bit of dedicated practice, staying at 50 (consistently) is much more difficult. I can’t imagine reaching a consistent 70 average but I play for a little enjoyment in a non competitive environment.
I am just starting to learn and my average is much lower right now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners average expectations Jason Gourley 27 8,491 01-05-2021, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Jackgist