Target Darts.

Training vs practice
From my marginal amount of research most practice or training discussed around darts is simply target practice or repeating whatever stroke you have already. It doesn't seem like that much goes in to "training" ones stroke to much. I know a few mentions of 4ft throws to figure out if you have a wobble. 

I bring this up because for example runners work out to get faster and same with golfers. So I was curious what "workouts" might help a dart thrower. 

Something I just started doing which I think is helping is spending some time working on speeding up my snap in the throw or generally trying to throw the dart a lot faster with less focus on control. Of course still trying to stay within the boundaries of a good mechanical throw of forearm and wrist only. I think it has helped me throw faster darts with more control as going from 100% to 80% in speed for accuracy still allows me to throw faster than before as I'm used to the quicker motion more. 

Just a thought, maybe others have similar training on a specific part of the dart throw. 

Tldr: example of training for none accuracy. My example trying to speed up my wrist snap by throwing very fast so that when I slow back down to 80% it's still faster then before and assumingly more accurate.
I feel that "training" your stroke is all about being consistent on every throw and I don't see how that is possible when putting out a lot of effort for a while and speeding up the throw and wrist snap used to get the dart to the board, then backing off a certain percentage and continuing to throw.

For me, that would be counterproductive, but one thing I've learned over the years when it comes to darts is "No one size fits all" as they say, and what works for me may not work for you.

I like to practice like I throw in a match with each dart having a purpose--------that is, after my initial 30 or so darts to get my arm warmed up when practicing, and much longer if wanting to play some match games.
gumbo2176
The best way in my opinion is to have an open mind to all kinds of training to keep the inspiration and the will to improve.
I believe there can be a lot of training without the board and the darts that will increase your abilities to perform on a higher level as long as it is done parallel with quality and focused practice with the board and the darts.

When I was working with Mikko Laiho (r.i.p.) I suggested that he should coach me as he would with any other coaching student, to learn me more about his concept and processes. He told me that my "only" problem (snatching) with my throw could be fixed within 6 months but I needed to promise that I wouldn't throw a single dart during these months. Not a single one.  I couldn't coop with that idea since throwing darts is much like meditation for me and I couldn't stand the idea of putting away my darts for 6 months.
He informed me about his methods to break down a bad throw and how to build it back to a better more solid throw.
A lot of his ideas were a lot about workouts in different ways, with action/motion/balance/reflection incorporated.

I've used a lot of his ideas and workouts since he passed away and I've managed to change my throw a lot since then even though I couldn't resist the darts...
Maybe one of the methods is similar to yours. Standing about 1 meter closer to the board, only focusing on the follow throw and trying to release the darts a lot faster.

I agree with gumbo, that not all methods works for everyone but I'll always be curious to find new ways to believe in improving my play.
Darts is in many ways a very traditional sport with traditional ways to play and practice (for example a lot of players still think playing games of 501 is the best practice).

A side note:
A couple of years ago I went to a workshop to listen to the great photographer Joe Buissink, teaching students how to become better photographers.
Many years back he invented his own way to practice shooting photos without the camera. He "slapped his leg with his hand" every time he saw a moment that would be a great shot. He made it a habit to always look for great shots so when he had a camera in his hand, like a reflex he shot the image.

If Joe could improve as a photographer without a camera I believe there are also many ways to improve your throw and become a better darts player...
Started playing darts again in the beginning of July 2017 (after years of no darts at all).
Created and launched the website GoDartsPro.com in September 2017

180's
2021 - 21/200
2020 - 147/200
2019 - 89/200
2018 - 168/100
2017 - 38

Highest checkout - 139

Playing with:
Steel-tip: Red Dragon Rouge 24, 
Winmau Vanguard 24g, Winmau Danny Noppert, Winmau Mark Webster, Winmau Simon Whitlock

Soft-tip: Harrows Magnum 97% 18g
Interesting first post. Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the question to us.

I've often wondered if doing some type of specific training would help improve my throw, as in light weight lifting or doing some stretching for the upper body. But, from my own experience neither of these ideas worked for me, but I feel better, so a small pay-off anyhow.

Also mentioned time away from the game and starting back with a new throw. After being away from the darts for almost 3 weeks I did feel more control but it still didn't improve my game enough to brag about LOL
(11-25-2020, 12:07 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: Interesting first post. Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the question to us.

I've often wondered if doing some type of specific training would help improve my throw, as in light weight lifting or doing some stretching for the upper body. But, from my own experience neither of these ideas worked for me, but I feel better, so a small pay-off anyhow.

Also mentioned time away from the game and starting  back with a new throw. After being away from the darts for almost 3 weeks I did feel more control but it still didn't improve my game enough to brag about LOL

Just don't do serious tricep exercises and think you are going to throw some darts.        When I was working out heavy, I'd go hard 2 times a week on multiple tricep exercises and one day a friend came by and worked out with me and wanted to throw darts.

I knew better and told him to grab a set off the table and have a go.    He not only missed the dartboard, he missed the entire 3 x 3 backboard and stuck the dart in my out chart below the board.   I laughed and he quit.
gumbo2176
(11-25-2020, 12:49 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 12:07 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: Interesting first post. Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the question to us.

Also mentioned time away from the game and starting  back with a new throw. After being away from the darts for almost 3 weeks I did feel more control but it still didn't improve my game enough to brag about LOL

Just don't do serious tricep exercises and think you are going to throw some darts.        When I was working out heavy, I'd go hard 2 times a week on multiple tricep exercises and one day a friend came by and worked out with me and wanted to throw darts.

I knew better and told him to grab a set off the table and have a go.    He not only missed the dartboard, he missed the entire 3 x 3 backboard and stuck the dart in my out chart below the board.   I laughed and he quit.

I remember the first time I came back from the gym and threw darts, I didn't realise the effect it would have had and landed the first dart about 2ft below the surround into the wall.  I didn't play on gym days after that.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-24-2020, 05:29 PM)D5felox Wrote: From my marginal amount of research most practice or training discussed around darts is simply target practice or repeating whatever stroke you have already. It doesn't seem like that much goes in to "training" ones stroke to much. I know a few mentions of 4ft throws to figure out if you have a wobble. 

I bring this up because for example runners work out to get faster and same with golfers. So I was curious what "workouts" might help a dart thrower. 

Something I just started doing which I think is helping is spending some time working on speeding up my snap in the throw or generally trying to throw the dart a lot faster with less focus on control. Of course still trying to stay within the boundaries of a good mechanical throw of forearm and wrist only. I think it has helped me throw faster darts with more control as going from 100% to 80% in speed for accuracy still allows me to throw faster than before as I'm used to the quicker motion more. 

Just a thought, maybe others have similar training on a specific part of the dart throw. 

Tldr: example of training for none accuracy. My example trying to speed up my wrist snap by throwing very fast so that when I slow back down to 80% it's still faster then before and assumingly more accurate.

Hi welcome aboard.

I'm actually currently really looking at my throw and eliminating parts causing issues which is definitely more the training side.  Practice is really just playing 501 or doing a challenge from the forum.

I think training is really around thinking about the throw, getting the elements right and then not thinking about it and repeating what you have been doing but naturally, it's hard.

Anyway all the best on your journey.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-25-2020, 10:04 AM)Hazza Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 12:49 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote:

I remember the first time I came back from the gym and threw darts, I didn't realise the effect it would have had and landed the first dart about 2ft below the surround into the wall.  I didn't play on gym days after that.

I remember when I couldn't even wash my face after the gym because I couldn't reach it with my own hands after doing triceps and biceps so much and then I came home and I hit 180 with my very first three darts! I couldn't believe it :-) It was more or less only an accident.
Yes learning how to throw a dart by yourself, and too having someone else explaining how they throw
a dart; is still very much a dark art. The Druids of Darts seem to have their books of potions figured out for the most part. Other sports have coaches much more incorporated and ensconced in the flow of learning to get better at an aspect of the respective game at hand.
Baseball has batting and pitching Coaches. Golf, Tennis, Skiing. Basketball has free throw and 3pt zone throwing coaches. Etc.
Somehow the sport darts has for the most eluded this aspect of a set repertoire of best practices. With Darts, we start out fully equipped and complete, with a pint in one hand and a clutch of arrows in the other. The perfect blending and balance of Mankinds form and function in his natural habitat.
That all said, I love to read, but have nary picked up a book proper in years. I've looked up John Lowes book online at the library a few times over the years, but havent budged an inch to go get it and see what I can learn.
D5felox is correct, it is nearly impossible to find information on training as opposed to practice. There is lots of information available of practice games designed to help build repetition and simulate match pressure. There is very little information on training. Every sport has drills designed to teach and build technique. The only real drill I have seen for building technique is a suggestion you throw 25 darts between the number ring and scoring section at each cardinal point on the dart board.This eliminates a target and allows you to focus on a full extension. Add in finishing with your fingers pointing to the ground and you have a training drill to help with full extension and wrist snap.  I live in a farming community. Not much darts around here so I am self taught through the World Wide Web. Maybe there is a book or video series that provides training drills but so far I have not found any on the web and only the above drill here.
Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for Training Routines to help create a more consistent through, as mentioned above, I am leaning more towards technique practice as opposed to target practice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts Practice ... is there Darts TRAINING? Ancient Darter 5 1,911 05-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter