Shot Darts

Any tips for teaching a toddler darts?
My 3 year old son is always excited about darts. He even asks me to practice sometimes. He loves everything about it. Down to customizing the flights and shafts.

I purchased him a cheap soft tip dart board and darts. The darts are crap so I got him a cheap but better set.

First off, I know, he’s 3. 

Have any of you tried to teach a toddler how to consistently throw the dart? He does well when he stands correctly but usually varies from that and throws all kinds of different ways.

It is cute to watch him try to mimic myself. He even lifts his back heel. 

I searched YouTube to no avail.

Thanks in advance.
He's 3 i'd say just let him keep having fun, i'm not sure how much could be taught at his age, maybe let him watch some matches & have him try to copy Pro's
Good idea.

I get he is very young. He does pick up things very quick usually. I will keep working with him but not push him to anything strict as in form. I was able to teach him to operate an RC excavator so he does learn complex things fairly well.

We are having fun and that is the important thing.
At his age, I would just let him throw and have fun. Plenty of time to learn later on.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
Yeah, don't stand where a scorekeeper usually stands.
gumbo2176
I'd asked for advice from some of our pro players as my kids had interest in it. The best advice I got was to start them with ping pong balls in a bucket at increasing distances. In the end the wife stopped it, but it's safer and easier than darts and you can practice form with it
I bought my 3 year old boy a magnetic board for Christmas this year and hung it under my board. He's learnt that we take it in turns to throw 3 darts and he enjoys hitting "the red bits". I think that's all you can ask at that age. He will naturally pick it up as he gets older and start to fine tune his game.

As others have said, the most important thing is that he has fun with it.
Try as much as you can to let him just play. Things like catching, throwing and hitting are more or less learned and then later refined by teaching/instruction. When I used to be asked to teach I toddlers golf i felt the same. Have fun!
(10-12-2020, 02:40 PM)Earz Wrote: I bought my 3 year old boy a magnetic board for Christmas this year and hung it under my board. He's learnt that we take it in turns to throw 3 darts and he enjoys hitting "the red bits". I think that's all you can ask at that age. He will naturally pick it up as he gets older and start to fine tune his game.

As others have said, the most important thing is that he has fun with it.

Same here. We have two of those magnetic boards I got on ebay. I can hear them banging the darts at the board every once in a while.
I got a speaker stand for $20 to make it quieter when I practice. Much cheaper than a stand meant for a dart board. I can adjust the height so my nieces can play They’re 5 and 6 and I let them play steel tip they can’t throw it hard enough for any kind of dangerous bounce out. 3 might be a little young for steel tip but get a cheap soft tip board and hang it low In ten years I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled to see him on tour Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.