Darts Buddy

Weight of Soft Tip vs Steel Tip
So I have been browsing and comparing and I need to find a Soft Tip dart, or I would like to try that weighs, or can weigh 21 grams without the stem and flight.
All the sets seems to be measured with the stem and flight included whereas the steel ones only measure the barrel. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Or am I getting it wrong?
Then I need to find a 19 - 19.5 soft tip barrel and add 1.5 gram with a conversion steel tip, or 1 gram to 20.5 g, wouldn't make a big diff.

Anything I have missed?

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I got a few sets between 20 to 24 grams and a board. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Plus some Soft Tippers under 20. Plus my Green Uni Bombers @ 22g, let's not forget about them.
It is confusing.

Steel tip weight is pretty much always quoted as the weight for the barrel & point only.

Soft tip weights are quoted 2 different ways.

'Barrel only' or 'full set up' which adds on an estimated weight of a point, stem and flight. This is normally +1.5g

Where this gets confusing is where they quote a weight, but don't specify which one it is.

Look on Darts Corner and you will see exactly that, some darts have both weights listed, others just have one weight and don't tell you which.

You can sometimes find the full details by searching online.

Beyond that, I would recommend contacting the retailer or manufacturer if you want to be sure about a specific set.
No expert - but in the soft tipped world the electronic board was the limiting factor - to extend the life of the board "The Overloads of Darts" set a weight limit for the entire arrow, point+barrel+ stem +flight - So in soft tipped world the advertised weight will be for all the kit. So you could buy a set and throw out of the box with no issues.

I am sure as technology is advancing the weight limit for soft tipped boards will increase over time so maybe in the future the weight of a soft tipped barrel could grow.

Soft tips tend to have quite a lot of drill depth so empty space at the front and back of the barrel- you can pack with Tungsten Putty to add some beef to a set.
(Not tried it but there are videos on the youtubes to show how to do it... I think you can get some from a fishing tackle shop. In Japan they sell tungsten balls that you can drop into the barrel - pack with some cotton wool, screw in your stem/point and you have a much more hefty arrow. I use sigmacore inserts myself but they don't fit inside some barrels - and I think Harrows/Winmau are slightly too narrow. )

You have to fiddle about and give it a try at the end of the day. If you are really after a high mass dart then a natural Steel tip is the logical way to go.
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  L-Shaft Locked Slim 300 Emerald :: Metal Champagne Ring Aqua :: - L-Flight Dimple Solid Emerald  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
(10-07-2020, 08:39 AM)Ryk Wrote: No expert - but in the soft tipped world the electronic board was the limiting factor - to extend the life of the board "The Overloads of Darts" set a weight limit for the entire arrow, point+barrel+ stem +flight - So in soft tipped world the advertised weight will be for all the kit. So you could buy a set and throw out of the box with no issues.

I am sure as technology is advancing the weight limit for soft tipped boards will increase over time so maybe in the future the weight of a soft tipped barrel could grow.

Soft tips tend to have quite a lot of drill depth so empty space at the front and back of the barrel- you can pack with Tungsten Putty to add some beef to a set.
(Not tried it but there are videos on the youtubes to show how to do it... I think you can get some from a fishing tackle shop. In Japan they sell tungsten balls that you can drop into the barrel - pack with some cotton wool, screw in your stem/point and you have a much more hefty arrow. I use sigmacore inserts myself but they don't fit inside some barrels - and I think Harrows/Winmau are slightly too narrow. )

You have to fiddle about and give it a try at the end of the day. If you are really after a high mass dart then a natural Steel tip is the logical way to go.
This sums it up right here!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Jason S - Middle of USA - South Dakota
Darts: Over 46 sets - Currently Using Whichever One Feels Right
Board: Target Nexus / One80 Gladiator III
Highest Out: 170
Best Leg: 12 Darts (Many shots at a 10 darter - Arghhh)
2020 Maximums: Goal set at 200 - Goal of 200 reached on 3/29/20 - Should've set higher goal.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Favorite Quotes:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela
"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got." - Robert Brault (Told to me by someone who never knew how much I needed to hear it.)
(10-07-2020, 08:39 AM)Ryk Wrote: Soft tips tend to have quite a lot of drill depth so empty space at the front and back of the barrel- you can pack with Tungsten Putty to add some beef to a set.
(Not tried it but there are videos on the youtubes to show how to do it... I think you can get some from a fishing tackle shop. In Japan they sell tungsten balls that you can drop into the barrel  - pack with some cotton wool, screw in your stem/point and you have a much more hefty arrow. I use sigmacore inserts myself but they don't fit inside some barrels - and I think Harrows/Winmau are slightly too narrow. )

Guess I have to go to Japan then. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Well for anything above 21g I go with steel, I was just thinking I could have a soft tip within range and it'll be steel also. 21 g barrels atm for me seems to be my sweet spot, so I am going to explore that a bit further you see. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

Thanks for the answers.
I got a few sets between 20 to 24 grams and a board. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Plus some Soft Tippers under 20. Plus my Green Uni Bombers @ 22g, let's not forget about them.
You're right that this was to do with the boards and the total dart weight allowed.

This generally used to be 18g, but i think some boards stipulated 16g.

Any decent board can handle heavier darts nowadays, but the recommended maximum weight varies between boards.

Darts with a 21g barrel only weight will be less common, but as others have said, you can add a bit of weight to a barrel.

You can have steel darts converted to soft tip, I've asked about this before. If you had a set of your steel darts 2g heavier, you could get them converted to matched weight soft barrels.

Having said all of this, I throw steel and soft and I don't use identically weighted darts. You have to adjust for the different oche distance and board size when switching between the two anyway. I definitely notice the difference if I switch, e.g. from soft to steel my darts will be going too high, but it doesn't take long to get my eye in.
(10-07-2020, 03:38 PM)Don Hagliatelli Wrote: Darts with a 21g barrel only weight will be less common, but as others have said, you can add a bit of weight to a barrel.

You can have steel darts converted to soft tip, I've asked about this before. If you had a set of your steel darts 2g heavier, you could get them converted to matched weight soft barrels.

Having said all of this, I throw steel and soft and I don't use identically weighted darts. You have to adjust for the different oche distance and board size when switching between the two anyway. I definitely notice the difference if I switch, e.g. from soft to steel my darts will be going too high, but it doesn't take long to get my eye in.

Also, some darts only exists in 22g steel, a certain shape, but I've seen the shape and that dart in soft tip with a slightly lower weight, so it's been an idea. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

I usually start out with a brass dart at a weight for £5-7, then after trying it out for a long time, I decide to jump on a tungsten at that weight. Just my Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(10-07-2020, 08:39 AM)Ryk Wrote: No expert - but in the soft tipped world the electronic board was the limiting factor - to extend the life of the board "The Overloads of Darts" set a weight limit for the entire arrow, point+barrel+ stem +flight - So in soft tipped world the advertised weight will be for all the kit. So you could buy a set and throw out of the box with no issues.

(Not tried it but there are videos on the youtubes to show how to do it... I think you can get some from a fishing tackle shop. In Japan they sell tungsten balls that you can drop into the barrel  - pack with some cotton wool, screw in your stem/point and you have a much more hefty arrow. I use sigmacore inserts myself but they don't fit inside some barrels - and I think Harrows/Winmau are slightly too narrow. )

"you can pack with Tungsten Putty to add some beef to a set"

I have done this using blue tak on steel tips, it can also be used to match dart sets exactly (if wanted).

I think most things have been covered, in this reply.
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.
Here's a list of 21g+ darts from Darts Corner. I know there are also darts stated as 20g for barrels only (some Taylor's spring to my mind).

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/select_a_dart.php?sort=2a

Mind that with such heavy darts you might not be allowed to play at leagues whose rules only allow up to 18 or 20g for the fully assembled dart. Here in Czechia the limit is 20g. Also, your own dartboard will be damaged more too.

Haven't you thought of using steel tip darts and the sisal dartboard instead?
I have a sisal board and many steel dart, ofc. This is something else, entirely. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I also have a set of soft tips, think they have 16-17 g barrel.

So, let's see some common abbreviations, that I have seen in online stores. BW = Barrel Weight, ST = Set total, sounds about right?
(10-08-2020, 10:24 AM)Force Majeure Wrote: I have a sisal board and many steel dart, ofc. This is something else, entirely. [Image: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/images/s.../smile.gif] I also have a set of soft tips, think they have 16-17 g barrel.

So, let's see some common abbreviations, that I have seen in online stores. BW = Barrel Weight, ST = Set total, sounds about right?

BW is black and white and ST is Suicidal Tendencies. I may be wrong but I haven't noticed these abbreviations in stores. Actually, I probably saw them but didn't decipher them.

I can see it here, for example, and I'd rather guess it means Soft Tip.
https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=22485

Also, look here. Barrels only and ST, thus Soft Tip.
https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=14753
(10-07-2020, 06:26 PM)Phil D Wrote: "you can pack with Tungsten Putty to add some beef to a set"

I have done this using blue tak on steel tips, it can also be used to match dart sets exactly (if wanted).

I see that tungsten in what might be a right size, can be found easily on ebay, for fishing. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

ebay Tungsten beads
(10-08-2020, 02:52 PM)elevendarter Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 10:24 AM)Force Majeure Wrote: I have a sisal board and many steel dart, ofc. This is something else, entirely. [Image: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/images/s.../smile.gif] I also have a set of soft tips, think they have 16-17 g barrel.

Also, look here. Barrels only and ST, thus Soft Tip.
https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=14753

They sometimes use BW and here it says 20gR, gram R-something. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=22664
The R indicates a ringed grip (K indicates a knurled grip).
Well, now I am getting a few 1 gram Tungsten weights manufactured, to use with soft tip darts, since there is space for 1 or 2 of these small things in the front and where the stem is screwed in.

If anyone is interested I can let you know how it all works out. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to choose between practicing soft tip or steel tip Djjuicegallatin 5 519 02-26-2019, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Transitioning from steel tip to soft tip... longgunshooterzero 3 430 01-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: BDG
  SOFT TO STEEL TIP SELF MODIFIED CONVERSION POINTS ChrisTheFish 15 1,465 11-17-2018, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Great White North
  From steel tip to soft tip darts. Andries Van Boxlaer 5 847 07-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Baloos
  Transitioning back and forth from steel tip to soft tip MB_AV 5 1,162 03-11-2018, 12:30 AM
Last Post: MB_AV
  Soft tip maximal weight Phisk 11 5,713 09-07-2017, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Stefano Fi
  Soft-tip Weight limit in Europe Rano 10 2,247 03-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Rano
  Conversion Points = Same Weight as Soft Tips philliesricky 14 4,289 01-30-2017, 11:35 PM
Last Post: elevendarter